dumpster

Turn your PS3 into an intriguing emulation machine

Oooft this has given me the urge to get a PS3 and do this now, already done my Wii and Wii U and broke 2 XBoxes trying to hack those.. :/

The Wii Tatsunoko stick is one of those Madcatz numbers that allows you to easily switch in Sanwa stick and buttons.  It's pretty snazzy :)

Thanks for this, tempted to get an old PS3 now!  I emulate just about everything on my PC, but of course there's no PS3 emulation... yet ;)

Would be great to play stuff I bought and lost when my PS3 died: Afterburner Climax and Galaga Legions for example.

Yeah? Never had any real issues.  The last time I played ZOE2 on emulation, i had it at 1440p with anti-aliasing on and a solid 60FPS :)

I've been pleasantly surprised by the ps2 emulation on my slim. I dont have a huge number of games to try but everything has worked so far apart from Sega Rally 95, which as you say is a weird one anyway...

43 minutes ago, partious said:

Fair enough. I have a ps2 Hori Real Arcade Pro and it works great with retroarch on ps3.

Unfortunately the stick doesnt work on ps1 shmups etc for some reason (it does when I play they on a ps2 if I recall correctly).

Does anyone know if ps1 shmups etc can be controlled with a ps3 arcade stick (on ps3 obviously).

I don't know much about sticks in terms of the ins and outs of buttons etc, but I like it and the wii ones I've seen here don't have the same weight as the heavy ps2/ps3 ones. I have smaller/lighter sticks like the dreamcast official stick and a hori wireless 360 stick and while they are serviceable they are nowhere near as nice to use as that ps2 beast, at least in my opinion :)

Could be caused by the PS2->USB converter you're presumably using?

I would expect PS1 games to work fine with a native PS3 stick.  I'll test later though and confirm.

So just to be clear: how does this affect firmware updates, access to PSN downloads etc? Do you have to keep your console offline now? I have my PS3 set up and this would be really handy especially for playing PS1 games on the telly.

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

So just to be clear: how does this affect firmware updates, access to PSN downloads etc? Do you have to keep your console offline now? I have my PS3 set up and this would be really handy especially for playing PS1 games on the telly.

I agree with @partious - I turned off auto sign in.  You can keep the machine connected to the internet for downloading directly to the console from the brewology links above (there's even a brewology store within MultiMan) , but I'm not going to risk going online to PSN - don't want to get blocked on my PS4.  Having said that, this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ps3homebrew/wiki/psnpatch

....is meant to allow you to use online and PSN on custom firmware, but I'm not risking it.

I remember doing mine with an ipod running some linux stuff plugged into the usb. Was pretty hairy but it's still going strong eight years later. As I said in the other thread, I love my BC PS3 and regularly fire it up. It's lovely having every *Ridge Racer in one place, even the 60fps RR1 disc. 

*Edit Well not every, just remembered 6, but I have that on my still plumbed in 360 so almost all in one place. Oh and touch on my S9 and the one on Vita, and psp, yada yada.

Yes, well I do on mine using the Rebug firmware and Multiman. Once set up it's a piece of piss to play them. Play from USB thumb drives as well. All software can boot from USB or internal drives too.

2 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Asked it before and I'll ask it again: can I use an external HDD to run games from. Have a spare 500gb drive knocking about that is love to rip a load of games to...

Would like to know this - specifically for PS1 / PS2 games as I have hundreds of them that could be put away once ripped.

I gave this a go last night with my slim PS3 (CECH-21XX) with the NOR guide and everything was going fine until the 'Patch NOR Flash Memory' which after leaving for well over 5 mins seems to immediately cause my PS3 to hang forcing me to restart the console which isn't great.  Thankfully after restart and rebuilding the database it seems fine but after trying it a couple of times I get the same results.  If anyone has any suggestions that would be great but I may try method 2 and see if that works instead.

19 hours ago, amc said:

Yes, well I do on mine using the Rebug firmware and Multiman. Once set up it's a piece of piss to play them. Play from USB thumb drives as well. All software can boot from USB or internal drives too.

Oh interesting. So I could play games from all systems from an external drive? We're gonna need a bigger boat hard drive. 

I'm really not bothered about the lack of online, so this seems like the ideal solution for me. I can dump a load of my library and the HDD (and probably yarr some things I've missed) and have everything ready to play on my HDMI monitor. Between this, my 360 and my Wii, I think I'm sorted for games for the foreseeable future.

I have to say, the speed with which the industry moves on and the incremental performance increases you see between generations has totally opened up the space under the TV for the modded PS3.  I know the PS4 version of Resident Evil 5 is remastered for example, but yesterday I bought the Gold Edition for £2 a CEX for the PS3 and it's absolutely fine.  There;s so many games from the previous generation that I missed and can now be picked up for pennies - I think my PS4 and Xbox One are going to take a back seat for a while.  

Hold off, Retro Police! I have to agree, my PS3 gets more use than the PS4, it has some excellent games you can pick up dirt-cheap. I recently got Far Cry 2 & 3 for £6 delivered. Okay, they don't run as well as on a PC (although FC2 won't run in Win 7 upwards, trust me, I've tried), but that's some great gaming for next to nothing. The addition of PS1, PS2 an quality emulators just seals the deal. Just thinking of stuff I've bought digitally for PS3, most of it was via PS+ anyway, Wipeout HD is on PS4, so that basically leaves Lumines and Spelunky. And online? I gave up on multiplayer years ago.

I'll not get rid of my fat PS2 but if I can play my stuff on PS3 then that just makes things easier.

I had a PAL PS3 with BC once, but it didn't run some games perfectly (Burnout 2 was one title I remember having graphical issues). If an old Japanese PS3 has proper hardware BC rather than emulation, does it just run JP games or is it region free?

I love the idea of having one Sony console to play all PlayStation generations on. Can you rip your PS3 games to the hard drive for a complete disc free solution? Or can you keep yourself signed in and play digital downloads I've already purchased? I don't play online. Could probably live without the shop too! 

2 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

I had a PAL PS3 with BC once, but it didn't run some games perfectly (Burnout 2 was one title I remember having graphical issues). If an old Japanese PS3 has proper hardware BC rather than emulation, does it just run JP games or is it region free?

I love the idea of having one Sony console to play all PlayStation generations on. Can you rip your PS3 games to the hard drive for a complete disc free solution? Or can you keep yourself signed in and play digital downloads I've already purchased? I don't play online. Could probably live without the shop too! 

The CFW makes it all region free.  You can rip your PS3, PS2, PS1 games to run from USB or internal hard drive.  Still awaiting feedback on the ability to go online or not, that will go in the OP when we have it.

Added to the OP with questions raised from the comments so far.  If you know the answers please post them and i will update as needed.  Cheers!

Weirdly, it's the prospect of being able to play PS1 ISOs that's pushing me towards this. There are a load of games from that era that I remember liking, and would like to play again, but I'm probably remembering them through very rose tinted spectacles. So I want to try them, I just don't necessarily want to pay to try them...

Anyone able to help with this one?  

So I put Ridge Racer (american 60hz) disk in the drive and copied it to an ISO on the internal hard drive. Loaded it through the ISO to test it. Job done. 

Next I put a game in the disk drive.  The system automatically recognised that a disk was inserted but it loaded Ridge Racer instead. The disk game didn't appear on the XMB, and any disk inserted made Ridge Racer load automatically. The only option was to power down completely. 

• Empathy 1

On 17/05/2018 at 23:58, dumpster said:

Anyone able to help with this one?  

So I put Ridge Racer (american 60hz) disk in the drive and copied it to an ISO on the internal hard drive. Loaded it through the ISO to test it. Job done. 

Next I put a game in the disk drive.  The system automatically recognised that a disk was inserted but it loaded Ridge Racer instead. The disk game didn't appear on the XMB, and any disk inserted made Ridge Racer load automatically. The only option was to power down completely. 

Pretty sure I read about this when looking through the reddit forums and it's currently an issue but afraid I cannot help more than that.

Have you managed to get PS2 games working on this from ISO? - I have created an ISO (with Multiman) on the PS3 hard drive from my PS2 game but when I come to play it I just get a black screen all the time.  I have tried a few games now and no joy.

17 hours ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Pretty sure I read about this when looking through the reddit forums and it's currently an issue but afraid I cannot help more than that.

Have you managed to get PS2 games working on this from ISO? - I have created an ISO (with Multiman) on the PS3 hard drive from my PS2 game but when I come to play it I just get a black screen all the time.  I have tried a few games now and no joy.

I've used Isos that I already had and they are fine. I havent done a ps2 game from disk yet as I had already isod my collection so no need.

What's the best model to go for? I have a Superslim but until I know this works I'll try it with another machine. I can see they're not that expensive especially if you just want a console. Is the Slim one the best option?

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

What's the best model to go for? I have a Superslim but until I know this works I'll try it with another machine. I can see they're not that expensive especially if you just want a console. Is the Slim one the best option?

See the OP link, Superslim can't be fully modded (although you can do the Optical Disk Emulation, but not something I've tried). 

Slims can be modded if you check the serial number first to make sure it's compatible.

All fat ones can be modded.  If you get a fully BC model you can play all PS2 games.

Of course, Hard Drive space is an issue if you want to copy your ISO files to the console.