dumpster

Turn your PS3 into an intriguing emulation machine

On 17/05/2018 at 16:37, parrapatheslapper said:

Sorted my hang by using a new memory stick. Followed @dumpster guide and I now have CFW installed! :D. Next stop. Get some ps2 games running.

I’ve tried 3 different Memory sticks and it’s still locks up. They are older sticks so maybe that’s not helping. 

Decided to give the ps3 a clean (part of the reason i replaced it was due to the noise it made)

This probably didn’t help. And I took a lot of crap out before I took this picture.

:( 

8A6FB7BE-C43D-4D9E-B82A-76E9098C3B49.jpeg

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Bluejam said:

’ve tried 3 different Memory sticks and it’s still locks up. They are older sticks so maybe that’s not helping

Yeah I ended up buying a new one in the end and it worked first time.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Yeah I ended up buying a new one in the end and it worked first time.

I do have a newer one hanging about but as usual, no idea where it is. First world problems.

I think it’s great that the ps3 can be made ‘special’ but part of me is thinking “would I ever use it”

I think its part of my current gaming apathy. Got a modded Wii, an original Xbox with coin ops ready to put on it and a pi 3 with a 128gb image on it. All doing nothing.

Anyone feel the same as me? The thrill is getting these older systems  made ‘special’ but that’s it and ‘on to the next one’?! 

#mrnegative ;) 

• Upvote 2

Have to agree, love the challenge of doing the mod/hacking but then don't have the time to play the thing. The only one i use regularly is the 360 RGH, and that's only to play 360 games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bluejam said:

Anyone feel the same as me? The thrill is getting these older systems  made ‘special’ but that’s it and ‘on to the next one’?! 

100% agree - more fun in getting them up and running than actually playing anything and like you I have plenty of ways to play plenty of old and new consoles. 

Perhaps it's a combination of having too much and not appreciating like you would if you had paid the money out for them which seems the same for people who pirate a load of games only to play most of them for about 10 mins no matter how good they are.  Pretty sure they would play a lot longer if they paid out 40 notes for them... 

• Upvote 1

Hoping someone here can give me some suggestions.

I have a 60gb PS3 and they are obviously known for heating issues. It's running fine currently but my wife is starting to use it more and more now (for prolonged periods). Just wondering what's the best way to make sure I don't get thermal issues, i'm not overly confident taking it apart and modding it and all that so are there any exterior solutions?

If not I don't suppose anyone knows someone in the West Midlands that could mod it or something to make sure I never get issues?

If it is hacked you can use webman to increase your fan speed. I couldn't say whether this will prevent the console from going tits up but it's what I use to try and get some extra cooling into my old 60gb.

• Upvote 1

On 07/11/2018 at 20:25, Fireproofradiator said:

I’d like to go down the CFW route but my 60gig sounds like a 747 taking off even after adding thermal paste. I’m wondering about replacing the fan - anyone done this/got a guide/had a good result?

I did this the other day. Stripped the PS3 60Gb down. Cleaned it. Changed the thermal paste. And intended to upgrade the fan to a  new 19 blader in the interests of getting better temps and airflow

Takes a wee while - and I've never applied thermal paste before - but its not too complicated.  Note that I did not go the whole 9 yards and remove the integrated heat spreader from the chips and replace the paste under there because it looked far too dangerous - I just replaced the paste for the contact between the IHSs and the coolers.

Thing is - its not really any less noisy now than it was before and the temps aren't massively improved. The only change has been that I feel better that the thermal paste has been changed because apparently that stuff has a shelf life.

Turns out my fan already had 19 blades so my purchase of the part was unwarranted (you can even tell how many blades you have on your existing fan without opening the case if you shine a torch into one of the exhaust ports and count the visible fins). I can find a guide if you like. Should have checked first.

My advice would be stick a custom firmware on it first (which is relatively easy) and get an idea of the temps on your CPU & GPU under load. It will tell you the fan speed (as %age) and temps - from there you can make a call on whether its worth cracking it open and doing the job based on the reported statistics and your tolerance for noise.

• Upvote 1

Not sure it is the cheaper option. A new fan was a 12 Quid. Also not sure how prevalent the 60 gig back compat version is on the 2nd hand market. But I’ve not really looked. 

That said - maybe the emulation offered by cfw on a standard machine is good enough these days and all the effort required to look after the older model is unnecessary. 

13 hours ago, dumpster said:

These days, isn't it easier to just go to Cash Convertors and get a PS3, rather than pay for parts etc to fix an old one?

I don’t think the original hardware back compat 60gig models are that cheap or that easy just to find on the high street. 

Recently got a PS3 and hacked it. Bunged a 600gb hard drive in there, though it's sitting in shoddily with a folded bit of paper jholding it in on account of that god damn ps3 hard drive caddy not working  :/

Anyway, the things awesome. Was a bit sad when I put on Starwars Battlefront 2 (US V.1.01 or something) and it crashed, I heard there was a config file so it works but have no idea where to get that or where to put it or how to install it  - anyone had experience with that?

Having so much fun playing San Andreas multiplayer, hadnt even played  MP before but its so good multiplayer.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, KriessG said:

I don’t think the original hardware back compat 60gig models are that cheap or that easy just to find on the high street. 

True but modding a PS3 opens up backward compatibility. It's not hardware based like in the 60Gb, but it's the same emulator software they used on the Sony PSN downloads and is pretty good.

On 10/11/2018 at 20:39, dumpster said:

True but modding a PS3 opens up backward compatibility. It's not hardware based like in the 60Gb, but it's the same emulator software they used on the Sony PSN downloads and is pretty good.

I've been given a CECH03 PS3, which I think is the backwards compact one. Is it worth a few quid then?

Edit: fuck, Outrun isn't on the list. Worth looking back through this thread to do something with or selling do you think? I already have a super slim.