yeah so maybe i will buy it i dunno. beating liverpool with liverpool 7-0 has nothing to with it. Mane got 4 goals - 4! 

don't think I've ever got more than a player rating of 9.0..i think. This time 8.5. A player can score 7, run more than anyone, complete all passes, but...but one shot off target in the 15 taken. Not like it matters...but another thing they've not touched in a decade.

As it's just £24.99 for the PC version on CD Keys I picked this up, even though I'm expecting FIFA 18 to turn up on EA Access any day now and will plough into The Journey as soon as that hits.

The play on the pitch is great, no real news there. The demo is pretty representative. I thought it was perhaps a little slower, and maybe at some point this weekend I'll fire the two up side by side to see for sure, but that thought dissipated after a while. Had a cracking opening Old Firm game where Rangers beat me 3-2, thanks to my love of utterly exposing myself, defensively speaking.

A Master League will wait for a while, at least until I've done the usual option file palava to get the kits where they belong. Looking around the game, things are much as you'd expect. The new leagues are extremely welcome and for me, more than make up for the loss of the Champions League license primarily because Konami don't deserve that if they're not going to use it right. The pageantry is all for nowt if they're not going to bother having all the teams that actually compete in it. That and the Europa League are still in the game in a generic form, so really the only thing lost is the fancy polish.

There are two fake Asian leagues this time out, but it's weird to me that they still haven't licensed any proper leagues from the region to feed into their AFC Champions League license. Scooting around the national sides, I noticed that a number of the American sides (Brazil and the US, most notably) are full of fake players. I've heard the same is currently true of FIFA 19 on the Brazilian front, so it's a weird licensing thing that might get sorted.

But yes, on the pitch it's still absolutely lovely. Two games into my AFC CL campaign though and I've yet to get Diego Forlan a goal for Kitchee, so that's something I need to work on.

6 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

As it's just £24.99 for the PC version on CD Keys I picked this up, even though I'm expecting FIFA 18 to turn up on EA Access any day now and will plough into The Journey as soon as that hits.

The play on the pitch is great, no real news there. The demo is pretty representative. I thought it was perhaps a little slower, and maybe at some point this weekend I'll fire the two up side by side to see for sure, but that thought dissipated after a while. Had a cracking opening Old Firm game where Rangers beat me 3-2, thanks to my love of utterly exposing myself, defensively speaking.

A Master League will wait for a while, at least until I've done the usual option file palava to get the kits where they belong. Looking around the game, things are much as you'd expect. The new leagues are extremely welcome and for me, more than make up for the loss of the Champions League license primarily because Konami don't deserve that if they're not going to use it right. The pageantry is all for nowt if they're not going to bother having all the teams that actually compete in it. That and the Europa League are still in the game in a generic form, so really the only thing lost is the fancy polish.

There are two fake Asian leagues this time out, but it's weird to me that they still haven't licensed any proper leagues from the region to feed into their AFC Champions League license. Scooting around the national sides, I noticed that a number of the American sides (Brazil and the US, most notably) are full of fake players. I've heard the same is currently true of FIFA 19 on the Brazilian front, so it's a weird licensing thing that might get sorted.

But yes, on the pitch it's still absolutely lovely. Two games into my AFC CL campaign though and I've yet to get Diego Forlan a goal for Kitchee, so that's something I need to work on.

I'm remjohn on Steam if you fancy any games. Nice to know someone else I 'know' on PC. No idea how you play people though, think you have to open up a room and password protect it. Then I assume you invite someone through Steam but I don't know how to do that either. I have never played against anyone on a Steam friends list in anything since 2003.

I too thought it felt a bit quicker than the demo, and I think it is, but more in responsiveness than actual speed. Certain actions are perhaps a little snappier which might be good, I'm not sure. The demo perhaps sometimes felt a tiny bit frustrating in the time it took certain things to happen but I quite liked the way it slowed the game down too.

I've finally got HDR working properly and it does make it look a lot better. I'm currently playing through a Copa Libertadores with River Plate and the sheen on the sash is very nice.

Something else I like more than I thought is the new shot variation. Didn't notice it so much in the demo but am starting to now - hitting dipping volleys and knuckle-balling free kicks is very satisfying. This is what PES gets right; in FIFA all that stuff would involve complicated inputs, PES just does it contextually and always manages to make it feel 'right' when it happens to the extent that you can predictably pull it off just by judging the exact nano-second that you release the shot button as the ball flies towards you.

I think Pleasure Horn were relegated. They've been missing since last year. 

I can imagine them coming up with the Cunturipa stats - "69, 69, shit, better not make it too obvious, 59."

So Master League opening AI transfers are still buggered then. 

This is the Cpu Leicester at the start of the season after the transfer window.

https://i.imgur.com/IybMLFz.jpg

Embarrassing. Seriously, this is awful and I cannot believe is in the game. And what's worse, it was in last years, and it won't be fixed by a patch. 

Previous ML modes had a slider for Cpu transfers, funnily enough this disappeared when myclub came on the scene. FU Konami. 

3 minutes ago, meatbin said:

So Master League opening AI transfers are still buggered then. 

This is the Cpu Leicester at the start of the season after the transfer window.

https://i.imgur.com/IybMLFz.jpg

Nothing to do with transfers, that's some kind of fucked up roster thing that puts players in the wrong positions. Usually to do with edit files going wrong but doesn't look like there's one on there.

Just now, Pockets said:

Nothing to do with transfers, that's some kind of fucked up roster thing that puts players in the wrong positions. Usually to do with edit files going wrong but doesn't look like there's one on there.

Look how many subs they have available... 

Just now, meatbin said:

Look how many subs they have available... 

True, not sure that's ML though, looks more like MyClub with the heat maps. Haven't looked at ML yet so don't know but it doesn't usually have those.

I'm not defending it, it's fucked up and has been for years, just saying I'm not sure that one pic is truly representative. Plus, Konami rarely finish a game for release. I guess I'm just used to not starting anything like that until at least a month after release to get that sort of shit ironed out.

The game itself is actually really good, perhaps the only downside being the CPU's propensity for a low cross. Just had a really good, tense battle against Corinthians, drums banging away throughout, only slightly marred by their insistence on low crosses into the box as if they were trying to unlock an achievement.

Financial turmoil at Leicester. It’s bad that I’m used to it, but I am. Just have to wait for them to fix it. Something like this happens every year. 

11 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Something like this shouldn't really be happening any year though.

They always talk about how small the team is but they should really get the game out earlier to the ‘community’ and get them to play test it for them. They already send it out to people that make the option files, maybe send it a little earlier and get them to test it too. I suspect maybe they’re to the wire with it though and essentially release it unfinished every year to beat Fifa to the punch. 

AI transfers strike me as something well suited to automated testing. Simulate hundreds and thousands of transfers and have the system flag up if a team drops below defined limits on squad size and players for positions.

Getting the AI to make smart, believable transfers will need proper human opinion, but having it basically function is something that really ought to be sorted well before release. Small size or not, it's weird that they can have what I consider a remarkably good football sim and yet fail on something basic.

58 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

AI transfers strike me as something well suited to automated testing. Simulate hundreds and thousands of transfers and have the system flag up if a team drops below defined limits on squad size and players for positions.

Getting the AI to make smart, believable transfers will need proper human opinion, but having it basically function is something that really ought to be sorted well before release. Small size or not, it's weird that they can have what I consider a remarkably good football sim and yet fail on something basic.

It's not MyClub though is it? That's the money maker. I suspect they couldn't give a fuck about ML anymore, stuck the new guy on 'trying to make the transfers more realistic, they've been moaning' and will patch it begrudgingly.

On the bright side, it's just a couple of patches away from being the best yet. If they can fix the minor AI issues on the pitch and the major ones off it, without fucking with anything else, it'll be great.

Do players still constantly watch the ball dribble inches past their foot at 1mph without making any effort to try to control it, as though they're paralysed by indecision? Do all the CPU teams still play in exactly the same way? Is it still harder to play a crap AI team than a good one? Does L1 actually switch players in some sort of a useable way, relatively consistently?

I realise now I've written them those sound like ranty rhetorical questions but I'm genuinely asking :lol:. I gave up on 2018 after the first couple of months so things might've been even been improved in that game. In fact I'm going to reinstall it out of curiosity.

As burned as I've felt buying the last two versions of this digitally I still find myself tempted to buy this because I'm a sucker for the yearly 'it's brilliant on the pitch' thing. Personally I haven't really found that and frustration at what seem like fairly fundamental flaws has set in quite quickly. In contrast I had a go at PES6 via PCSX2 recently and it's just instant fun with minimal AI nonsense. Also there was no quarter being given or asked. If the emulation wasn't a bit spotty I'd probably be happy with that and SWOS for my 'quick bash of a football game' needs.

Are they planning on doing a Lite version again, does anyone know? I guess that'd be the cheap way to see if it's for me this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rsdio said:

Do players still constantly watch the ball dribble inches past their foot at 1mph without making any effort to try to control it, as though they're paralysed by indecision? Do all the CPU teams still play in exactly the same way? Is it still harder to play a crap AI team than a good one? Does L1 actually switch players in some sort of a useable way, relatively consistently?

There's a demo, which would probably be the best way to find out for yourself though it's not 100% representative of the final game.

In answer to these questions, all of which I agree with: Players do definitely react better, defenders will step in a little more and the instances where attackers ignore a pass are at least reduced if not eliminated.

CPU teams are more fun to play against in that they make more natural mistakes - they're not perfect every time and feel a little more human perhaps, however, and this is quite a big issue, they do all seem to love a low cross/cut back in the box. Most goals I've conceded have been some variations of this. If you can consistently take the option away they will mix it up a bit but it is an issue, to the extent that I'd expect them to patch it at some point.

Haven't really played enough different teams to know if the better teams are easier to play against than the weak teams but from some very limited experience I'd say it's maybe not so much the case. Corinthians have been the strongest team I've played in my Libertadores and they've been the toughest. Weaker teams can sit back and make it harder to break them down but they fall apart once you get that first goal and they have to come out.

Player switching is another one that I might not have enough of a sample size on but it annoyed the shit out of me on PES 2018 and whilst I wouldn't say it's 'fixed' I would say it's probably annoyed me much less so far - this could just be that there's enough novelty factor from the new game that I'm overlooking it though.

The game is definitely better than last year. Nothing huge but the little changes to shooting and various mechanics make it more fun and feel at least a little bit more organic. That 'rails' feeling could come back once I get used to it and know what to expect in every situation but ultimately, I play on PC and it's £25 for a game I'll play for 200+ hours over the year. I'm not going to complain. Would I pay £50 on PS4? Yes, I would, but I've done that every year for a football game since 1994. If you're more 'casual' about them, maybe wait for a sale.

If you're wondering if there's enough improvement over 2018, I would say yes. The graphical improvements are nice and really show if you have an HDR telly - perhaps not quite so much if you don't. This really makes quite a difference to the enjoyment for me. I love a night game when the atmosphere's right and the combo of 4K HDR and the new lighting really helps with the immersion.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the lengthy response, much appreciated.

That sounds.. Promising. I've kind of learned not to judge football games by the demos though, every year I'm impressed then the finished game is different enough that I feel taken for a ride, if not on release then after the first big patch. I think a lot of it is the relative lack of overly obvious scripting/momentum/whatever in the demos, like how exhibition matches always feel less full of nonsense than career type matches in the full games.

I guess the sensible thing to do is to either wait and try the Lite version or check back in a couple of months once there's been a patch or two.

I dunno how much you like football games. I have to have one every year regardless and dislike FIFA so unless PES is utterly fucked I buy it regardless. 

Due to this, I’m more pleasantly surprised when it’s an improvement rather than demanding of them. 

It is the best of the recent games, I can say that with confidence. Even if nothing changes with patches. 

Your ‘quick bash’ you mention could well mean you won’t notice any of the little annoyances as they are less apparent this year, even if they can still crop up. Alternatively, it could mean you won’t play enough to notice much improvement. 

Yeah, I meant more that if neither of the games sound appealing I'm happy enough to take another year off and have that quick bash on an old game or whatever if I fancy playing some football one day. I'll play a good football game to death but I don't feel like I absolutely have to have one when they can be quite a big timesink and there's so much other stuff out these days.

For the most part I've played the modern games for 40 or so hours then realised the issues aren't going to magically improve with patches or messing with settings/sliders/whatever. Then I kind of feel like I've wasted 40 hours trying to like something which obviously isn't what you want from a game!

The closest I've come to loving something as much as the old Pro Evos or Sensible Soccers was probably FIFA 16. For a brief time playing against the AI was fantastic in that game and felt very fair regardless of the result, then it inevitably got patched and instantly became absolutely rage-inducing.

I reckon I'll be happy waiting for the Lite version or maybe picking up a boxed copy on PS4 if it comes up cheap so I'll at least have the option of selling it on.

Had four games playing as Spurs in the mock Europa cup last night... Plays brilliantly, and every pass I made that went astray really did feel like it was my fault. 

The individual player feel is the best yet, Son running like Son, Kane holding off players like Kane, Dembele gliding through and pushing off opposition players like a sexy cruise liner, like Dembele. 

Was fouled a few times, and once the AI got a straight red for a professional foul! 

AI felt okay to play against, but I really didn't notice any different styles between each team I played. Lots of packing out the box/parking the bus which was quite dull at times. Agree that the AI only scores low crosses... Not once did I see  along shot or dribble though. 

Excited to play more tonight as I'm quite rusty after not buying 2018, the first I never bought since PS1 days. 

Won't be starting ML til the transfer update, and a kit patch. Fingers crossed the flagged issues will not bother me too much... But more so I just pray I see some different styles played from different teams other wise a ML games gets boring very quickly. 

Pes world has all the main kits and logos up now. Enjoying this so much! It plays such a good game of football. The 'feel' of moving the ball around is absolutely spot on, weighty and satisfying, best football game ever.

Physical sales down 42% on last year, apparently. Hard to imagine modern Konami still wanting to pump these out if that's the trend and I very much doubt they'll have a look at themselves when trying to figure out why it's happened.