There's a rumour of a full partnership with Celtic and Rangers, would mean finally Celtic Park in a game! That's the most interesting thing in a football game for me for a while, madly. 

I had some great times on pes online, the constant switches in formation to overload at the front playing a suicidally high press, the 13 game winning streak with Leicester in the early hours before work, playing a long ball to Vardy which worked again and again. I miss the tricks you could do in i think it was pes 2010, the C Ronaldo back heel to come inside one for instance. You could assign them to the shoulder buttons. 

The last few pro evos have had too slow movement for me. It feels heavy. I like arcadey if it means instant and light movement. It's the feints, pauses, turns i want to do, the Xavi spin on the spot manoeuvre. None of this can be clunky. It seems like they want you to pass more, and to give defenders a better chance at intercepting. 

You can't speed up gameplay online can you? No one actually works on the functionality of these games so i don't know why i'm saying this, but there should be more options in the online lobby when you're paired up. If one toggles something the other player can choose to agree or disagree. Faster gameplay, longer games, draws leading to penalties. None of this is outlandish. It's bizarre to play another release in the series and notice how they're not at all altered the options for little things, as though large portions of the game don't get looked at. Yet every release has a shiny new interface (menu design i mean) usually in visual contrast to the previous game. But you look at a replay and you're still years later stuck zoomed in at pitch level, and can't go back more than two passes. 

1 hour ago, Loik V credern said:

I had some great times on pes online, the constant switches in formation to overload at the front playing a suicidally high press, the 13 game winning streak with Leicester in the early hours before work, playing a long ball to Vardy which worked again and again. I miss the tricks you could do in i think it was pes 2010, the C Ronaldo back heel to come inside one for instance. You could assign them to the shoulder buttons. 

The last few pro evos have had too slow movement for me. It feels heavy. I like arcadey if it means instant and light movement. It's the feints, pauses, turns i want to do, the Xavi spin on the spot manoeuvre. None of this can be clunky. It seems like they want you to pass more, and to give defenders a better chance at intercepting. 

You can't speed up gameplay online can you? No one actually works on the functionality of these games so i don't know why i'm saying this, but there should be more options in the online lobby when you're paired up. If one toggles something the other player can choose to agree or disagree. Faster gameplay, longer games, draws leading to penalties. None of this is outlandish. It's bizarre to play another release in the series and notice how they're not at all altered the options for little things, as though large portions of the game don't get looked at. Yet every release has a shiny new interface (menu design i mean) usually in visual contrast to the previous game. But you look at a replay and you're still years later stuck zoomed in at pitch level, and can't go back more than two passes. 

Sounds like you’d enjoy FIFA, ludicrous pace and all about the trick stick. Not trying to be pissy, just saying, that’s where the arcade football is these days. 

12 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Sounds like you’d enjoy FIFA, ludicrous pace and all about the trick stick. Not trying to be pissy, just saying, that’s where the arcade football is these days. 

I've never liked any Fifa I've played over 20 years. Except Fifa World Cup 98 on the N64 a little bit.

I've always found it floaty.

By tricks in Pro Evo I don't mean just over doing it like some frenzied dance, i mean perfectly timing tricks to bypass defenders and leap over tackles. Like the Zidace roulette 360 spin, i'd want to find the best moment to use it, so it'd look cool as a defender slid in. Which they did, I was Van Persie and took another touch and scored, the other player was pissed and quit and it was awesome.

• Upvote 1

I’ve heard that tricks are supposed to be more responsive this year. I’ve not used them much beyond a side step but always found you’d have to plan that a second ahead, not so much this year apparently so you might like that. Demo should be out around the start of August. 

How is it? Seen lots of praise but nearly everyone has a stake in it now - either driving website clicks and subscriptions to option files or YouTube views and streams. As great as the work those people do might be, they’re not likely to say anything too detrimental and make people lose interest. 

I’m still waiting on the Steam demo which I imagine won’t be up until 6pm. 

43 minutes ago, hat said:

Any word on whether Arsenal will be licenced again this year?

Liverpool are, but I don't think Arsenal are.

51 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Seen lots of praise

Same, seems to play really well and the CPU AI is better - more fouls, mistakes etc.

For me it's a day 1 if Master League is fixed, otherwise I won't bother regardless of how good the gameplay is.

1 hour ago, meatbin said:

Same, seems to play really well and the CPU AI is better - more fouls, mistakes etc.

For me it's a day 1 if Master League is fixed, otherwise I won't bother regardless of how good the gameplay is.

Define 'fixed'?

There's a lot wrong with it, so depending on what you wanted changed, will depend on whether it's been fixed. I think there was one thing that they did maybe.

1 hour ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Well I've never heard anything do that to my fans (PS4 Pro). That'll need sorting before I dare play it.

Really? I know it's meant to have been tarted up. Even 2018 constantly had the fans on my 1080ti spinning at 4K. I think that was just bad optimisation or something though, they spun all the time at 1080p on a 970 too. Ori and the Blind Forest did the same. 

It's excellent. The ball feels weighty, somehow more like a real ball, and I've noticed loads of new animations etc. The players seem really good at holding off defenders, dribbling with players like Messi and Salah is genuinely exciting and terrifying for the defence. And the AI defenders seem a bit more with it. Plus the graphics are incredible.

I'm loving it!

50 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Really? I know it's meant to have been tarted up. Even 2018 constantly had the fans on my 1080ti spinning at 4K. I think that was just bad optimisation or something though, they spun all the time at 1080p on a 970 too. Ori and the Blind Forest did the same. 

Playing at 1080 with the PS4 Pro boost mode on (if that matters). I switched it off after a few minutes lest the whole thing caught fire. Ridiculous fannery.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pockets said:

Define 'fixed'?

There's a lot wrong with it, so depending on what you wanted changed, will depend on whether it's been fixed. I think there was one thing that they did maybe.

- No stupid cpu transfers, especially at the start of the mode

- Option to switch off regens

- Less rubberbanding from CPU

- More fouls and injuries (this is partly gameplay based, but seeing more players out because of injury and suspension would be great).

2 hours ago, Chooch said:

Just saw on twitter they are

Nice one thanks, at least that's one that remains from 2018.

My immediate reaction after a couple of matches is it feels stodgy and lumpen, especially shooting.

Ball feels like a medicine ball and all a bit ‘dead’. 

Not immediately grabbing me

Oh my. After years of 7/10 games at best, this feels different. It's somewhat freer and looser to play. It feels more organic. Impressive so far. 

I really don't expect this to be any different than the last two (or 3, losing track), but nakamura's comment would suggest otherwise. Demos are free now but i think i preferred the 90s demo discs for instant playability. It will take me hours to find out.

Coming from around the last decade playing Fifa, this does seem very good after 3 online matches. 

A bunch of fifa things to unlearn but I’m really enjoying what I’m playing. 

The ball and players all seems to have a tangible weight to them. Feels like there are less canned animations and you are in control a lot more of the time.