Sign in to follow this  
Pockets

PES 2019

This got a ‘full reveal’ today. As expected, there was nothing ‘full’ about it. 

Looks like more of the same old bollocks to be honest. The 4K HDR might be nice but it’s hard to tell from the trailer if the actual graphics in game will be any better. 

It’s out 30th August though, a couple of weeks earlier than usual, which I think is a good idea. With day 1 squad updates anyway, I think football games should be trying to hit the start of the season. 

More here:

https://www.konami.com/wepes/2019/eu/es/

I'll be interested to see what the new league licences are, and whether or not that means having new leagues (Bundesliga and J-League would be nice) rather than just licensing what they already include.

Hope you can budget adjust in Master League this year.  I doubt it, would mean them actually fixing something. 

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Hope you can budget adjust in Master League this year.  I doubt it, would mean them actually fixing something. 

They touted some ML improvements which appear to have amounted to a pre-season tournament. 

23 hours ago, Hello Goaty said:

the commentary - will it still be really shit?

I would feel safe betting not only everything I own, but everything I ever have and ever will own on that, yes.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Hello Goaty said:

:D  haha

its the one area that ruins the experience in pes.

and no I cant just switch commentary off! - its an important detail to me

Change the commentary language.

It's only around £27 to pre-order the xbox version off the Turkish store. I tell myself each year I won't bother this year and then end up buying it on release. If it's still at that price closer to release, then I'll be back for more of the same.

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

Change the commentary language.

Thats what I do, change the language every few games as I can't stand the English commentary

15 hours ago, dave7g said:

If they don't fix the online and the  painful loading times between menus it'll be £15 this time next year.

Online actually works okay, it's just that no one plays it. Menus and loading times will still be fucked, I can guarantee you that and it will definitely be (have been) less than that by this time next year. 2018 has been £5.99 at various points.

All of this is based on 23 years of playing Konami football games.

I expect it will be pretty much the same as this year's game with some 'looser' physics (bit more FIFA-y or something) slightly better lighting, a pre-season tournament in ML (who cares?) and a poorly implemented attempt to improve the transfer system that just fucks it in a different way. That will be it, but, on PC at least, it'll be £25 and you can get that much entertainment out of it.

Having given FIFA 18 a good go this year, and enjoyed aspects of it but ultimately found it frustrating, I'm not sure football games are in a great place at the moment. I've got both and don't feel inclined to play either, they both piss me off in different ways. Even if you enjoy the modes, which I don't, I think FUT and MyClub have fucked things up a bit, taking all the focus away from the core game.

I feel similar, that those online modes are the main profit makers and so receive the most attention. While I think both play decent games of football in single player, with PES being the more satisfying of the two, the actual offline modes are second class to online.

It's been over twenty years since Sensible World of Soccer offered an entire career mode across the globe, with thousands of teams in over a hundred divisions and international football into the bargain. Now, licensing restrictions make it understandable that we've had to pare that back - the days of just throwing in a couple of flights of Salvadoran football for the hell of it are largely gone - but I'd always thought we'd be marching towards closer comparisons with Championship Manager rather than taking a couple of steps backwards in favour of sub-par Panini sticker books.

I play the Master League or FIFA's career mode but it's rare I get more than a few seasons in before I go off and play something else. Meanwhile, my game of Football Manager sees me in my 22nd season in charge. I so wish they were one and the same. 

25 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

If only there was some kind of complete football game..

It's why I'm glad in a way that FIFA has (or will have) the UEFA licence now. I'd rather FIFA just had everything and could then maybe get on with putting it all together and making something more complete. They're the more likely to with their cash and huge team and also more likely to go with the subscription model which I think is necessary before anyone dares to attempt a 'perfect' football game. Once you haven't got to constantly offer improvements and changes every year to keep selling, instead having people 'pay to play' at £40 a year or whatever with DLC throughout the season, you can 'risk' perfecting it and not having any huge changes to bring people back again, they'll simply keep their sub running.

I do prefer PES, but they're never going to be the ones to achieve that so I think it's better for them to not bother with licences at all and open up the edit mode some more so modders can put it all in. It's almost worse having 20 licensed things and everything else made up.

I'm largely unfussed on licensing. I'm not going to get much more satisfaction out of having accurate sponsors and authentic television idents, of being able to see Gasprom logos every every time the ball veers towards the sideline. A decently open edit mode can provide real team and competition names and player names and broadly accurate kits, and that's why my copy of PES 2018 never pits me against MD White.

Where licensing is rather handy is in player likenesses, as I do get a kick out of seeing a pretty good recreation of Messi pulling on a Burton Albion shirt. 

What's missing in both games though is the ability to add content. PES gives you the three custom leagues, but it's a limited approach that restricts what you can have simultaneously. FIFA doesn't allow much any more, although it did previously let you create and add one league to Europe via the online editing tools, which was pretty neat. Thinking again to FM, it's league editing tools are unwieldy and the system was often prone to financial collapse, game crashes and other side effects if not done with a great deal of care, but I've had careers in Andorra, the Faroes and the depths of the English leagues thanks to its flexibility, all without SI spending a penny on licensing.

I'd like to see both EA and Konami go down that route at some point. 

The question is do I pay an extra ~£4 to get a permanent David Beckham in My Club? Or resort to the spinning balll lottery. He was immense in one of the mid season Winning Eleven International updates in the early 2000’s. Head says no, heart says go. 

Edit: Winning Eleven 7 International?

On 09/05/2018 at 20:12, Fry Crayola said:

I'll be interested to see what the new league licences are, and whether or not that means having new leagues (Bundesliga and J-League would be nice) rather than just licensing what they already include.

I reckon more licenced Asian and South American leagues. That’s where they’re popular.

I bought FIFA last year because PES wasn't releasing on Switch (and it looks like it isn't this year sadly,) but last year I bought PES and thought it was amazing... on the pitch. In pretty much every other aspect it gets shit on by FIFA. However, the on-pitch stuff is so amazing you can happily look past that, or at least I could for six months or so, but then I got bored with Master League being so shit and picked up FIFA when it was on offer on PSN.

Also my one friend I play online with refused point blank to get PES because it didn't have proper licenses. That's why FIFA trounces it in sales every year, because people can't get past the lack of licenses.

I know, but you don't play licences. Who gives a fuck if it looks like Messi and Ronaldo if they don't feel like it at all? It's just weird and Ultimate Team is even worse.

10 minutes ago, SMD said:

I know, but you don't play licences. Who gives a fuck if it looks like Messi and Ronaldo if they don't feel like it at all? It's just weird and Ultimate Team is even worse.

The player models/likeness are better in PES...

1 hour ago, SMD said:

Totally agree with you, but it seems we are in the minority and most people buy FIFA because it has the "proper" players, regardless of how bad the gameplay is. :(

Is FIFA actually bad again now do you think? (Genuinely can’t really tell, I’ve only really played it in my own weird way). There was that period between 08-12 where everyone seemed to accept FIFA was finally as good/better and not just because PES was having a rough patch, or maybe it was just because of that. 

I dunno, having played a fair chunk of FIFA 18 I thought it was alright but the areas where it fails are so frustrating, possibly because it’s so good at everything else. 

I don’t get frustrated in the same way with PES. I know all the surroundings are fucked and the licences are what they are but the gameplay doesn’t annoy me, it just bores me after a while. It can feel like every game’s the same. 

With FIFA, it’s actual gameplay bugs and issues which makes it genuinely frustrating. Sometimes you get a game without any and it’s really good but that’s rare. On the pitch, PES is perfect in terms of control and the game it plays, but I am starting to understand the on rails criticisms a bit more. You do always feel like you know what will and what won’t happen, or rather, what is and isn’t possible. 

3 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Is FIFA actually bad again now do you think? There was that period between 08-12 where everyone seemed to accept FIFA was finally as good/better and not just because PES was having a rough patch, or maybe it was just because of that. 

I dunno, having played a fair chunk of FIFA 18 I thought it was alright but the areas where it fails are so frustrating, possibly because it’s so good at everything else. 

I don’t get frustrated in the same way with PES. I know all the surroundings are fucked and the licences are what they are but the gameplay doesn’t annoy me, it just bores me after a while. It can feel like every game’s the same. 

With FIFA, it’s actual gameplay bugs and issues which makes it genuinely frustrating. Sometimes you get a game without any and it’s really good but that’s rare. On the pitch, PES is perfect in terms of control and the game it plays, but I am starting to understand the on rails criticisms a bit more. You do always feel like you know what will and what won’t happen. 

You clearly play a lot more than I do. What I love about PES in it’s current form is that it plays a lot like the PS2 games. I can have a mate who hasn’t played a PES since we were at university in the early to mid 2000’s when I played the game for hours daily and he’s good to go. He knows what to do. It feels the same. You can also score amazing goals. Which is what I want. It’s just how a football game should be. In my opinion. I find FIFA clunky by comparison. PES flows. FIFA stutters. 

When a bug happens in PES, my friends and I literally shrug it off as "it's Pro Evo, not FIFA," meaning of course it's gonna have dumb bugs.  At one point two of our players were called PLAYER REMOVED and we just carried on like it was normal. Sure FIFA has all the fancy stats we'd absolutely love to stare at endlessly, whereas in PES once a season is done on ML (unless it's the one player you're allowed to register as a favourite per season) all the appearance, goals, assists etc. stats are lost forever - but that's the price we're more than happy to pay for an overall better game of football on the pitch. Sometimes something happens and we ask eachother a question like is <such-a-thing> possible, which used to be met with dunno, Google it? but Google NEVER has the answer because seemingly hardly anyone plays, and sure as hell nobody cares about PES enough to actually post guides online. It's funny really. It's like we know it's pretty bad, and made by people who definitely couldn't care less about the product they put out, yet a tiny portion of the football sim playing community will stand by it and buy it year after year because, well, it's Pro Evo.

The commentary is diabolical at times, some of the likenesses are laughable, without an option file it looks absolutely pants with generic kits and wrong names (thank god it's easy to patch nowadays) but it's just more fun to play than FIFA.

• Upvote 1