Unofficial Who

What is the oldest computer / video game you can still enjoy?

I've been digging through some old games recently (partly with an eye to selling some of it off) and I've been playing some old games as a result and the years haven't been very kind to them. However I've found some of the really old games really engrossing. Which got me to thinking, age wise, what's the oldest game you still enjoy playing?

I think for me it's Star Raiders. I first got this in 1984 for the 2600 but the Atari 8-bit original from 1979 is still a fantastic game even though it's about 8kb in size. I think half of it is the controls, I played later simplified games like Starfire and Starmaster but being able to bring up a view behind your ship and using a map to warp to other sectors made it feel massive despite the whole game being made up of a starfield, a handful of sprites and a map.

• Upvote 2

I made some friends play Combat  on the Atari a while ago.It was still fun for a short while because of the vs nature of it. 

Arcade classics like Asteroids, Missle Command and Defender hold a lot of playability today too. 

• Upvote 4

I still play Atari stuff.  Spent hours trying to unlock an advert for Barnstorming not that long ago in Atari Anthology and play other 2600 games now and then on the real thing.  A lot of arcade games from that era are still amazing.  e.g., Robotron, Missile Command, Gravitar.  I can sit and play something like Bomb Jack, Galaga, Flicky, Shaolin's Road for hours and hours if I'm in the mood for high scoring.  It's what gaming is all about for me, really - reflexes, high scores.  

• Upvote 2

Wizard_of_Wor_v2.png

I think a few years ago I was playing Wizard of Wor (Midway, 1980) online with a colleague (thanks to modern emulation stuff) - I'd never heard of it before his recommendation but it was a lot of fun - it was a single-screen maze shooter like Berzerk or something but surviving the waves of enemies was quite compelling. :) 

Berzerk is probably another good one, thinking about it....

• Upvote 3

Arcade games for me. Robotron, Bomb Jack, Mr Do!, Mr Do's Castle, Defender, Pac Man, Pac Land etc etc.

I could play these all day. 

I grew up with the spectrum and C64 but tend not to revisit those. Golden age of the arcade will always be the sweet spot for me. 

• Upvote 1

Run Baby Run is from 1983 and has never been bettered by any other game (not even HYRULE WARRIORS), so I still get a lot of enjoyment from that.

I still have the odd game of Adventure and Frostbite on the Atari 2600 - not sure of their ages - and they still hold up well. The original arcade Space Invaders is just as playable now as it ever was too.

• Upvote 1

I’ll always stop for a game of Galaga - 1981. 

Realistically, most of the 8 bit home era is interesting for a quick 5 minute game but I don’t think there’s much I’d actively seek out to play. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mr Monday said:

Bruce Lee on the 8 bits.  Mainly because, unlike most games back then it’s easy.

I thought one version was a piece of piss, but another was literally impossible?

Lots of fun games mentioned in this thread, but Warlords hasn't been brought up yet and that's still great if you can get four players on it.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, cubik said:

Arcade games for me. Robotron, Bomb Jack, Mr Do!, Mr Do's Castle, Defender, Pac Man, Pac Land etc etc.

I could play these all day. 

I grew up with the spectrum and C64 but tend not to revisit those. Golden age of the arcade will always be the sweet spot for me. 

I've been playing Pac Land a lot recently on MAME. It's really bloody hard.

• Upvote 1

I still play Haunted House now and then on the 2600.  It's stupidly easy once you know what you're doing even on the highest difficulty setting but there's so much nostalgia attached to that game for me, plus the dark, thunder and lightning and match effects are so atmospheric given the limitations of the hardware.

:wub:

River Raid is still a genuinely brilliant game and HERO is incredible.

• Upvote 1

Came to post Galaga,

Dambusters - breakout clone but with men rebuilding the wall - on Phillips videopac is great fun, also from 1981.

• Upvote 1

I suspect a lot of people are going to answer one of Super Mario Brothers or Tetris here.

If we're talking oldest that I would genuinely go back and play by choice, rather than just "Interest" then it might be Stunt Car Racer.

• Upvote 2

I'ma hold my hands up here and say that with a handful exceptions on the Amstrad and in the arcade (MAME), I largely struggle to take much enjoyment from anything pre 16-bit home computer.  Everything started getting ace from the late 80's.

• Upvote 2

Game & Watch Mario's Cement Factory (single screen). I bought it for the DSi and I still play it when I get the urge. 

• Upvote 1

I'd have to agree with Combat on the VCS. 40+ years old but the sheer variety of modes makes for some great same-room multiplayer even today. Bouncy bullets in a maze is the best one for me. The literal tank controls and slow movement are the bit that dates it the most, that stops it maybe having universal appeal. But with open-minded friends who aren't sniffy about graphics it can't be beaten even in 2018.

• Upvote 1

1942 on mame. No idea what year that came out. Still think it's the best vertical shooter I've played.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, deKay said:

I thought one version was a piece of piss, but another was literally impossible?

Well I’ve played the Speccy, C64 and the Atari versions and they all seemed about the same.  So if there’s a rock hard version I don’t think I’ve played it.

I fucking love Missile Command, but 16bit consoles can hold their own against modern day/current stuff easily imo. Some Playstation 1 stuff has dated very badly, Saturn and N64 less so but id buy a SNES over everything else.

4 hours ago, Vespa Alex said:

1943 is much better. 

After that they went downhill. 

Pos'd for 1943 but I've always had a soft spot for 1941 as well.

10 hours ago, OogyBoogy said:

I forgot to mention Boulderdash.

The last video game my mum would play. What I mean by that is she’s still alive but in her eyes this was the last decent game ever made. It’s the only game she plays when she does play a game.

For her games history ended in 1985.

• Upvote 3