Sign in to follow this  
I say

I hadn't played this in years but it's great fun thread

How about a thread for games you haven't played for years, and then you happen to play them again, real hardware or emulated, and their greatness comes flooding back to you?

When I got my first SNES, in 1992, it came with Super Mario World, and I bought Final Fight (not realising or particularly caring what a poor port it was) and Super Soccer to go with it.

This week I've picked up copies of Super Formation Soccer again, and it's still an absolute blast.

Passing isn't as intuitive as in later football games, but it isn't necessary - you can dribble past teams easily enough.  The tacking is great, though, particularly if you risk a booking by shoulder-barging the other player.

It's not particularly challenging, particularly if you play 2P co-op.  It's the first football game I can remember playing that allowed that.  But it is great fun,  I'm playing it on a SupaBoy - knock-off Chinese handheld that plays SNES and SFC games, so the graphics are a bit stretched.  Might get the SFC out to see it properly later.

What great fun games have you replayed for the first time in years / decades?

• Upvote 1

Stunt Race FX.

I didn't actually like this all that much when I first bought it, in about 1995.

Played it again yesterday and it's brilliant.

Perhaps it helps that I've played a bit of Race Driver recently, as this reminded me of that game.  It's tough getting round the tight courses without making mistakes, but it's fun.

I think this really benefits from a small screen.  By the way, on the latest version of the SupaBoy S pocket SNES, you can set the aspect, so no more stretched pixels.

Anyone played this recently?  Or played any other games for the first time in many years?

• Upvote 3

Stunt Race FX is brilliant! I played through it again recently on my Snes Mini. It’s a shame they never released an updated version on newer hardware, but I guess most folk wouldn’t buy a game with flat polygons these days. 

• Upvote 2

Stunt Race FX. I only played it on the demo machines in the local Comet Games Master Zone at the time, but played more of it on my Super NT recently. It's really full of charm. The music, cars, nice tracks and below that frame rate is a really fun handling model. It's a shame they didn't bring it back in the Gamecube era when cel shading was doing the rounds. They could have mimicked the low polygon count with large flat edges cartoon styled..

• Upvote 1

I'm glad to see Stunt Race FX getting some love.

According to wiki, it managed an Edge 9.  However, EGM called it a disappointment.

• Upvote 1

Was it good?  I picked up Actua Soccer a few months ago.  Unfortunately, it seems that only the first one was released in Japan.

12 minutes ago, I say said:

Was it good?  I picked up Actua Soccer a few months ago.  Unfortunately, it seems that only the first one was released in Japan.

This, along with Tekken and ridge racer were my first three games on the PS1. 

So it holds a special place place in my heart. 

Its nkt not a bad game. But is broken because if you do a long pass towards the oppositions goal from just before the half way line you will always score. 

10 minutes ago, I say said:

Here's Wikipedia's list of football computer games.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_video_games

Check out the PlayStation ones.  Such a variety on the first PlayStation, which dwindles with each generation, until there are just the two.  I knew that was the case, but I'd forgotten just how many there were on PS.

4-4-2.  That was shite.

Theres probably a good market for this generations Sensible Soccer. 

Im not a football fan but used to love Soccer on the NES, Italia 90, Adidas Power Soccer. 

Fifa bores the tits off me cause it’s too much like, you know, football...

• Upvote 2

I don't like football either, but FIFA is a great game.  Well, FIFA 13 on the Wii-U is.  It's the only one I play as it's my son's favourite game ever.  

Back on topic ...

Rez - Much as I've always admired the aesthetics of this game, it has taken me years to grew to really love it and that's after owning the DC and PS2 versions and finally the XBLA port.  Last time I played it, I reached the end, found it enjoyable and once again a real feast for the senses.  Last night, I decided to give score attack a go and became hooked on trying to get 100% on level 1.  It's a game I'll probably keep returning to as the years go by, falling a little bit more for its charms each time.

• Upvote 1

If you have a 360, grab the XBLA version.  HD and widescreen and lovely.

EDIT: seems there's a PS4 version too.  I don't know anything about that one.

• Upvote 1

Super Contra 3

I absolutely love going back to Contra 3 and had the Jap version growing up on my SNES which was pretty good then but I struggled to get beyond the third stage helicopter boss. I returned back to it as Contra 3 a few years back on numerous occasions and really got into it more so than I did the first time. Managed to finish it on a Co-op run on easy but couldn’t do it on a solo run. Then last week I finally played it on my SNES mini and developed more understanding of how to tackle the sections I struggled with, especially that last stage. It felt like I was mastering how to play it and managed to finish it off on Easy and then proceeded to tackle Normal by upping my game.

Its a a short game but has so much variety and ott action, but also plays perfectly. It may be one hit deaths but then you can also build up lives quite easily. By having the same power ups in the same places helps massively as some do seem to be placed for a reason while others can massively cause you issues. The whole learning process just makes it enjoyable as it feels super difficult when you play blind with no really understanding of what’s what. 

Super Metroid

Outrageously good and the first game I replayed a couple of weeks ago on my SNES Mini. I’ve talked more about this in games you have completed in the main thread but SM is a masterpiece. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Camel said:

If you have a 360, grab the XBLA version.  HD and widescreen and lovely.

EDIT: seems there's a PS4 version too.  I don't know anything about that one.

Ps4 version is the remake with flourished visuals and a VR mode.  I've only ever played the demo, but if I played VR (or indeed my ps4 more) I'd buy it.

I'm not one for digital games, so I'll get the DC version, I guess.

Contra is also Operation C, isn't it? Maybe the C stands for Contra.  Loved the Gameboy version.  I've also got it on DS, in a KONAMI compilation.

Rez is an amazing game; the VR version is the best one if you can play it.  A real stand out experience, especially the new level.

I'd avoid the DC version because of framerate trouble and having to use that controller. Infinite is the best version but is £300+ ;)  HD is fine if you're not bothered about VR, and preferable over DC/PS2's standard definition fuzziness.

Collecting physical version is fun and all, until you’re paying museum prices. Fucking pointless and not about enjoying the game to play but to own and shelve. Would must rather spend money on other things. 

Yes, indeed.  I bought Harmful Park on PSN for ¥600 instead of about ¥15,000 physical.

But I've ordered Rez for ¥340 delivered.

Played Rez until 5AM last night, score attack, level 1. Obsessed and I'm not even getting any better at it.

Is Rez on steam similar to Rez on PS2 or would I be better off with Rez on the xbox one x (if compatible)? I didn't even know it came out on the 360 (I thought it was a Sony exclusive).I haven't played Rez in a long time but remember loving it at the time.

The Steam version is the same as the PS4 version... basically a remastered version of the original game with the addition of the new area.

For authenticity just downscale it to 640x480!

• Upvote 1

Zombies (Ate My Neighbors) SNES

I played this loads as a teenager. Loads. Absolutely loved it. Loved the setting, loved the art style, loved the gameplay, loved the levels. Loved it. Had completely forgotten about it for years, until I stumbled across it when browsing SNES games in my Wii.

Booted it up and it's still properly brilliant. A little more difficult than I remember (though I never beat it back in the day), but I imagine some of that is practice.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, I say said:

I've never played that - might check it out.  What kind of game is it?

It's a cartoony, top-down, multi directional shooter with a jokey horror theme. It's almost maze based, where you need to rescue your neighbours, with a decent selection of enemies. And a waterpistol as your main weapon. It's a lot of fun.