Lovecraft Country - HBO

That didn't quite land for me. It started off exceptionally, and I thought we were in for the best episode yet, but it kind of petered out. The final scenes were just really really poor.

This show is utterly all over the shop. Sometimes it's National Treasure, sometimes it's Kwaidan, sometimes it's Dr Who.

I think, when it's this inconsistent, it's hard to be particularly invested in anyone. But I'm enjoying it in a superficial way, and add me to the list of people who think the way music is implemented is great.

The last episode was probably my favourite so far, and the neatest, boxed-in anthology episode.

I'm just not bothered about this programme any more - it's all over the place and I really don't like the way it changes thematically so much.  I thought it started great with the first two episodes, but I absolutely could not give any fewer fucks for any of the characters now. shame.

That episode didn't land for me at all. I'm not really into K-Horror. I just wanted it to go back to America and the main story. And not waste half an entire episode on characters I bet we never see again. 

Edited by Silent Runner
18 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

That episode didn't land for me at all. I'm not really into K-Horror. I just wanted it to go back to America and the main story and the main story. And not waste half an entire episode on characters I bet we never see again. 

Okay, while I said it didn't quite land for me either, the focus of the episode is clearly Atticus' back story, filling in the blank about the woman in Korea he phones a couple of times and had also talked about. I fully expect we'll be seeing her again.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Okay, while I said it didn't quite land for me either, the focus of the episode is clearly Atticus' back story, filling in the blank about the woman in Korea he phones a couple of times and had also talked about. I fully expect we'll be seeing her again.

Yeah, also goes some way on how he is all in with this shit, he's already seen monsters and knows they are real. Tell ou what though, he is getting a massive side eye for going all out with Ji-Ah when all Leti got was sex on a bathroom sink and a car and she's the one saving the damn day. Do better Tic.

Next weeks episode looks like it's going to be great though.

2 hours ago, Wickedkitten said:

Tell ou what though, he is getting a massive side eye for going all out with Ji-Ah when all Leti got was sex on a bathroom sink and a car and she's the one saving the damn day. Do better Tic.

To be fair to him, it was

Spoiler

his first time, he was bound to build it up. 

Albeit a first time where he seemed incongruously both competent and adventurous. I don't think fumbling around makes for ideal HBO fantasy TV though.

6 minutes ago, schmojo said:

To be fair to him, it was

Hide contents

his first time, he was bound to build it up. 

Albeit a first time where he seemed incongruously both competent and adventurous. I don't think fumbling around makes for ideal HBO fantasy TV though.

Yeah but I mean 

Spoiler

The difference in how he actually woo’d Ji-ah was really sweet. He came off as having absolutely not much interest in Leti until someone else did. 

I felt do bad for Ji-ah though. She isnt a monster at all, her mother certainly fucking is though and needed to worry about her own lack of soul

I don't think he did have much interest until then. Much as she didn't til she saw that he'd gotten all buff.

I don't think they're meant to be an epic love story, just two people keeping on keeping on.

If anyone enjoyed the mythology touched on in this week's episode, I highly recommend this Hungarian movie (spoilered in case you've not seen this week's ep, but not really a gigantic spoiler or anything): [spoiler]

Spoiler

Liza The Fox Fairy, which is a more comedic take on the same source material. 

It's a bit like Amelié, if Amelié murdered a whole bunch of people. Here's the pretty spoilery trailer:

Good spoiler game Jon. ;-)

Enjoyed 5 and 6. Add those to 1 and 3 as genuinely excellent eps. 2 and especially 4 were dogshit though.

However, 6 eps in and its biggest problem by far (which may be the book’s fault) is that it has seemingly little to do with the Cthulhu Mythos. Hope they sort that out in the eps ahead, but this feels a bit mis-sold after the ep1 opening dream sequence.

10 hours ago, jonamok said:

Good spoiler game Jon. ;-)

Enjoyed 5 and 6. Add those to 1 and 3 as genuinely excellent eps. 2 and especially 4 were dogshit though.

However, 6 eps in and its biggest problem by far (which may be the book’s fault) is that it has seemingly little to do with the Cthulhu Mythos. Hope they sort that out in the eps ahead, but this feels a bit mis-sold after the ep1 opening dream sequence.

I tried to fix it, but I couldn’t for some reason. 

Can’t believe anyone thought that went nowhere. Has no one had their dreams or abilities crushed and forced to hide deep inside them? And I say that as someone who can’t even comprehend the level to which black women never get their opportunity to let their abilities and knowledge thrive. 

Thought it was slow to start but once Hippolyta used the Machine that episode went places literally and figuratively. 

1 minute ago, Laine said:

Amazing episode this week. I love how different each episode is. Looked beautiful in parts too.

It was stunning and made me really regret not having SkyQ and seeing it in 4K and putting up with NowTV’s 720p stream. 

I'm 3 episodes in and can't tell if I like it or not.  I have no idea where it's going and I'm still not sure if I like the characters enough despite the awful racism, but most of all I'm just confused about what the rules are about the magic.  I think the show has done a bad job of establishing what the boundaries are with magic - who can wield what, when, how and why.  It's just lazy plot device central, as far as I can tell.