rllmuk
dumpster

Time Trap (edit: now on Netflix!)

I was chatting to a friend the other day about the spread of movie releases across different TV channels, apps, streaming services and so on.  I'd seen a film called Radius, which was at a friends house using some Chinese streaming service or other, and loved it. I wanted to watch it again but it's not on TV, Netflix, the Cinema, or anywhere.  The only place I've seen it available is on dodgy pirate websites, and it makes me wonder, where on earth are you meant to actually see this film? It's not advertised anywhere, and you have to wonder how a legit audience is meant to (a) hear about it, and (b) go and see it.

Anyway, it's happened again with a gloriously enjoyable, inventive, clever and well put together, incredibly low budget movie called Time Trap.

This film has a cast featuring the "who's that" of Hollywood, and I went into Time Trap with low expectations. I thought the premise sounded intriguing but that's about all.

But it's really, really interesting.  I'd recommend avoiding the trailers as there are spoiler moments, specifically one of the more absurd events where you think "Oh my god it just went stupid" then five minutes later you're back into it again.

That premise then - A college professor goes exploring in the middle of nowhere, no phone reception, weak GPS.  He's looking for a group of hippies who disappeared 40 years earlier.  He finds their van near the entrance to a cave, and goes for a look inside. There's something strange about the entrance to the cave, like an invisible wall where the air feels different as you walk through it. He takes a deep breath and walks through the invisible barrier and...  Something very strange happens. 

2 days later, the Prof's students go looking for him because he  didn't come back. They find the hippy van and the Prof's jeep and they too go into the cave.  Faced with the realisation of what they are doing, one character says, "I packed this SOS transmitter.  It has GPS on it.  I figured we're searching for someone who didn't come back who was searching for people who didn't come back. Thought me might need it".  There's loads of nice quick one liner dialogue like that, and the characters react realistically to some crazy stuff that follows.

And anything else would be a spoiler.  The young cast of actors do a great job. The youngest kid, Furby (!) especially pulls off the role superbly as he finds himself dealing with the unexpected situation he finds himself in.

The movie has really nice ideas based around that one situation and as you get to the point where you think it could do with ending, it ends!  It's a lovely way to spend 90 minutes.  What I like the most is that, even with that one particular jump the shark moment it hangs together really well, without the plot-holes you find in time travel movies. Repeat viewings really got me thinking about the overall premise and everything makes sense.

By the way, Radius is brilliant too.  Both these films take one simple idea and run with it.  Radius is about a guy who wakes from a car accident and goes looking for help.  Everywhere he goes, he finds the people are dead.  Then, birds fall out of the sky onto his head, and you realise.....  well, that would be a spoiler as well.  As with Time Trap, one decent idea is played with until breaking point, and they get some good situations out of it.  Again, when the film begins to feel like they are running out of ideas it ends anyway so you get an enjoyable 90 minutes. 

I recommend Radius and Time Trap, and would love to hear your opinions.

(edit - Radius is on Youtube for £3.49 )

_

• Upvote 9

Looks like they've really only been at festivals in mainly English speaking countries. Seems to have been some sort of proper releases in non-English countries. Weird.

Seen this 4 times now and every plot hole I spot is explained on the next viewing. Think this is the best time travel movie I've seen.  

1 hour ago, Stejay said:

Radius is £5.49 on iTunes if that’s any good for you.

Since I wrote that post it turned up on The Horror Channel oddly enough so I recorded it.

• Upvote 1

Time trap has finally arrived via a legit service. Give it a go on Amazon Prime Video.

Edit: not a free one, its a rent or buy , but as per.post below, currently on sky.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, dumpster said:

Time trap has finally arrived via a legit service. Give it a go on Amazon Prime Video.

Ugh. Not in Japan. Sigh.

17 hours ago, dumpster said:

It doesn’t seem to be included in Prime.

Holy shit guys. I paid 400 yen to watch this on the basis of this thread. Worst decision ever. Time Trap is possibly the most stupid movie I've ever seen.

• Upvote 2

On 08/12/2018 at 15:28, Tourist said:

Holy shit guys. I paid 400 yen to watch this on the basis of this thread. Worst decision ever. Time Trap is possibly the most stupid movie I've ever seen.

Lies. 

Its great. Just watched it. Better than 90% of big budget sci-fi. 

• Upvote 2

Watched about half of it last night and am really enjoying it. Plus I have a soft spot for Brianne Howey :wub:

• Upvote 1

On 08/12/2018 at 15:28, Tourist said:

Just checked, that's about £2.73.  Bargain!  

We should have more discussion of it in this thread.  Good to see it's on Sky, and people are enjoying it (maybe not @Tourist!)

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Stejay said:

Can I have my 90 minutes back please?

What do you think time traps are for?

• Upvote 1

I loved it, then again I've got a weak spot for low budget sci-fi movies. 

I watched another low budget sci-fi the other night, Clara, which I loved and would recommend it to anyone who likes these kind of movies. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6613878/

• Upvote 4

11 minutes in...

Me: This is just like the Goonies

Girl in film: Relax, this isn't the Goonies

Me: Sorry ma'am

OK, so I've seen it all now and it is Picnic At Hanging Rock mixed with The Goonies and an episode of Star Trek TNG.

It's a good idea, with poor execution and the reasoning behind Furby coming on the trip was never explained. Some nonsense about the "time barrier" (especially when the girl was straddling both regions for a good few minutes) which could have been dealt with better.

So, yeah. It was alright. Would have been a better Outer Limits episode or something, perhaps.

This was great fun. I'll admit I almost gave up after five minutes but I'm so glad I stuck with it, some proper fucking cool ideas in there. One of those films that will keep me thinking for a while. Thanks for the recommendation, doubt I would ever have heard of it otherwise. 

Yes I watched this as well tonight based on the feedback I read in here and I am glad I did.  Very enjoyable film for such a low budget, and some very cool ideas and twists.  Puts big budget gash like the last 3 Terminator films to shame, when you consider the budgets and talent involved is not close to being in the same league!!!

I watched this tonight and some bits had me rolling my eyes. 

Spoiler

PUT THE SPACEMAN IN THE WATER FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!

It was a fun film and I enjoyed it, I'm a sucker for a time travel film. Worth a watch. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I watched this tonight and some bits had me rolling my eyes. 

The big eye roll for me was when 

The spaceman shows up.  I was like, "Holy shit, Robocop's here!" and thought it was really jumping the shark.  Then the next thing happens and I was right back into it again.  You're totally right though, you'd think in the future they would know that the guy won't be able to breathe, but maybe for him it was a suicide mission anyway because the best case scenario for him was to save the people and return back to his planet hundreds of years after he left. He wouldn't know anyone.  It's *almost* a plot hole, because some team of people has sent that guy down in the cave, so if he does rescue them he's going to be returning back to report his succesful mission - to whom?  The world changes immeasurably if you're in the cave for half an hour.  Then you remember that real time is outside of the cave, and the constant is the real world. So the girl has unlimited time to work out how to save the rest of them.  It's  a mind bender, but I loved it.

• Upvote 1