rllmuk
Pob

MCU Phase 4 and beyond - Spidey to leave MCU? (warning: Endgame and Far From Home spoilers)

29 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I mean, it's a cheap sale, but I also wonder how often (given they'd only have rights for specific movie-related merchandise) they'd have had to get lawyers in, and spend ages tooling and retooling stuff only to get nixed by a legal somewhere. It might have seemed like the right thing to do to let those rights go to someone whose business it was.

True, the amount of money you make from Andrew Garfield Spiderman movie tie in merchandise is probably a lot smaller than generic Spiderman on lunch box merchandise type stuff. 

Let's not be silly. They're not going to buy a whole corporation, or even that corporation's film wing, for just one character.

Maybe they would if they fancied the studio's entire roster, but then it's also not up for sale. You can't buy what's not for sale.

39 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

And now we're actively cheering at the prospect of less studios just so one character can return home?

There are some mad people in this world.

• Upvote 2

Spiderman was the one comic over everything else that I read insatiably when I was younger - throughout all the 80s and 90s. And quite honestly, it was the team-ups with other superheroes that I found the most dull in comparison to all the fun shit he had dealing with stuff in New York. Out of all the Marvel characters, Spidey's always been the one that most people warm to because he's just a fairly normal bloke with cool powers...and a doofus in real life. 

If he's not in the MCU and part of this broad tapestry of things, as long as his films are good then I'm not sure I mind too much.

Trouble is, Sony have a bit of a habit of fucking that up when left to their own devices.

I dunno, I'd love to move to a slightly older Parker, married to MJ and having a moral quandary over whether or not he should have a bit of a thing with Black Cat, whilst the Sinister Six all try their hardest to fuck up his day :p 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, cohen205 said:

So basically the plot of the PS4 game?

I've not played it! But if that's so, then jolly good job Insomniac. No wonder the game did well :D

14 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Sony is worth about 38 Billion so no way Disney could buy them :(

Erm.. you'd want that to happen!? Holy shit, the film industry is already being crushed under the might of Disney. Losing Sony would bring the hammer down on it.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JoeK said:

I've not played it! But if that's so, then jolly good job Insomniac. No wonder the game did well :D

In many ways (and you've got to overlook some pacing issues forced by it being a game) the Insomniac Spider-Man game tells a better Spidey story than any of the movies.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

In many ways (and you've got to overlook some pacing issues forced by it being a game) the Insomniac Spider-Man game tells a better Spidey story than any of the movies.

I dunno. Maybe if you ignore 'Into the Spider-Verse' - the game was fun, but it was a really safe, conservative take on Spider-Man. I'd go so far as to say Spider-Verse is the best superhero film I've seen, it tells a fantastic story AND it manages to be really weird and experimental.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

It can often be the way with these things - I still think the Arkham games tell a better Batman tale than any of the movies too.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, K said:

I dunno. Maybe if you ignore 'Into the Spider-Verse' - the game was fun, but it was a really safe, conservative take on Spider-Man. I'd go so far as to say Spider-Verse is the best superhero film I've seen, it tells a fantastic story AND it manages to be really weird and experimental.

I had forgotten Spider-Verse, to be fair.

But for the live action movies, I think I'd stand by what I said. It's not like any of them really push the boat out for new takes, and I think the general arc of the story

Spoiler

Realising Mr Negative is Mr Li, trying to both stop him and 'save' him, then reeling from the arrival of Dr Octopus and having the same dilemma. Trying his best to 'save' his mentor/father figure and being fully let down at the end, and then the heartbreak of May.

Firstly represents a solid Spider-Man story, secondly is well acted and put together, and thirdly captures the Parker/Spidey character more holistically than any of the live-action takes.

• Upvote 4

On 23 July 2019 at 19:34, Broker said:

The Raimi movies are utter shite, all of the acting is laughably terrible in all three films, which is why Tobey Maguire and James Franco aren’t successful or popular actors anymore. I assume people are either nostalgic for crap sixties comics or they were children when they saw them, because they’re awful movies.

What utter horseshit

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, sandman said:

What utter horseshit

With writing talent like this, I’m not at all shocked that you were impressed by Spider-Man 2. If you want your mind genuinely blown, you should check out the text “The Cat in the Hat”, should be right on your level.

• Downvote 17

The Spectacular Spider-man cartoon from from 2008 was until the release of Spiderverse better than anything else the character had been in. It was killed off by Disney when they acquired Marvel.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Broker said:

With writing talent like this, I’m not at all shocked that you were impressed by Spider-Man 2. If you want your mind genuinely blown, you should check out the text “The Cat in the Hat”, should be right on your level.

Stop posting in here you colossal squid.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

Stop posting in here you colossal squid.

I will stop responding when angry idiots stop quoting posts I made weeks ago about a shit children’s film that’s pushing twenty years old. If you’d like to waste somebody’s time policing their posts, try one of those idiots, because the chances of me ever paying attention to one of your smug, self satisfied posts stating the blindingly obvious is less than zero.

• Downvote 13

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

The Spectacular Spider-man cartoon from from 2008 was until the release of Spiderverse better than anything else the character had been in. It was killed off by Disney when they acquired Marvel.

I have yet to watch that. Ultimate Spider-Man does a lot of Spiderverse stuff so we knew some of the others when we watched the film.

19 minutes ago, Broker said:

I will stop responding when angry idiots stop quoting posts I made weeks ago about a shit children’s film that’s pushing twenty years old. If you’d like to waste somebody’s time policing their posts, try one of those idiots, because the chances of me ever paying attention to one of your smug, self satisfied posts stating the blindingly obvious is less than zero.

You do know that you don't have to respond to something just because someone quotes you, don't you...?

• Upvote 1