Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Overlord

There has been a little bit mentioned about this in Cloverfield related threads. But, if JJ is to be believed, he's said at CinemaCon that this is not a Cloverfield movie. What it is, is an R-rated movie with paratroopers dropped behind enemy lines the day before D-Day and encountering the results of all sorts of Nazi experiments with the supernatural, genetic modifications and that sort of stuff. Some footage was shown and it was apparently gruesome. It's Bad Robot's first R-Rated movie.

Abrams is producing rather than directing. An Aussie named Julius Avery is directing. 2014's Son of a Gun seems to be his only other feature length movie.

• Upvote 1

See, over the last two years, the Nazis have had teams of archaeologists running around the world looking for all kinds of religious artifacts. Hitler's a nut on the subject. He's crazy. He's obsessed with the occult

I'm in for this.

• Upvote 1

Watched this last night. Found it underwhelming. It was ok, but I don't think it capitalised on the idea the trailer set out. Wanted more b-movie shinanigans and Nazi zombies. Don't think any film with that scenario has ever captured that idea right yet. 

1 hour ago, Zero9X said:

Watched this last night. Found it underwhelming. It was ok, but I don't think it capitalised on the idea the trailer set out. Wanted more b-movie shinanigans and Nazi zombies. Don't think any film with that scenario has ever captured that idea right yet. 

Have you seen Frankenstein's Army? 

I've seen the trailer for this 6 times at the flicks, and it's looked more dispiritingly dull each time. Last time, at the top it had one of those awkward and grindingly embarrassing 'PLEASE watch this, it's not tripe, honest' intros from Abrams and Avery that makes you squirm in your seat. 

On 08/11/2018 at 07:02, Zero9X said:

My thoughts exactly. It started off fantastically well, the sequence in the plane was brilliant. But it never lived up to its premise of 'Nazi Zombies' and was rather subdued. Just give me the balls to the wall zombie schlockfest the trailers implied and not a  Saving Private Ryan retread. 

Don't think it's going to do well either there were only 2 people at the screening I was in.

Even toned down it doesn’t quite seem to capture the mood right now, with the armistice centenary and poppies everywhere.

”what can we do to get onboard with the armistice memorial in November guys? Peter Jackson has brought the trenches to life by colorising and enhancing loads of old footage to give a insightful and relatable view of the First World War. JJ?”

*takes deep pull of smoke*

*nods sagely*

”Nazi zombies?”

I loved it. The gore was intense and effective, the characters were pretty memorable, and the pacing was incredible.

I thought they didn't make 'em like this anymore, but I'm glad to be proven wrong. 8/10