deKay

Nintendo Switch Homebrew Thread

Thread created to take the chat about this from the main Switch thread.

Apparently this is possible now. Yay?

• Upvote 2

Would love to be able to backup my saves, play some retro stuff and maybe even MOD games (as long as it doesn't ruin online experiences).

Going to wait a while till everything is a lot easier than. Sound like it's more a tethered mod at the moment though.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JPickford said:

No emulator can handle Wetrix.

Well then...someone talked themselves out of £25!

• Upvote 3

How long after a game comes out does it get dumped and put on Pirate Bay?  Is it like the same day or is there a delay for it to be cracked or something?

Just now, Kirby said:

Sorry, never got around to hacking my Wii U. There are guides on GBAtemp but I have no personal insight.

no worries, yeah i have tried a few things but had some kinda issue. Ill have another look.

15 minutes ago, Kirby said:

No, it's about having the freedom to use your purchased hardware however you wish.

Of course it's about piracy, otherwise people would just buy one of the millions of completely open generic Android/Tegra devcies already on the market.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

That requires buying another device. It's perfectly reasonable that Switch owners wish to enable features forbidden by Nintendo, such as a web browser, video streaming, and backing up your save files.

That excuse doesn't hold any water these days. Backing up your save files would be lovely, but I don't think it's worth a homebrew solution. As for everything else you've mentioned... You not got a smart phone?

4 minutes ago, Kirby said:

It's perfectly reasonable that Switch owners wish to enable features forbidden by Nintendo

It's not.  That's what the generic devices are for until/if Nintendo decide to enable such features.  If you buy a Switch you're buying into a closed Nintendo ecosystem and you (meaning everyone that buys one) know this, so if you want that stuff, why would you buy a Switch?

For the record, I don't get my knob in a knot over piracy, but I genuinely don't believe you can seriously argue that hacking consoles is ultimately done for anything other than that, no matter how you try and dress it up.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Kirby said:

The ethos of being able to hack any device you own, as a point of principle, predates both piracy and emulation. It's about the hacker spirit, to have freedom of access to something you own. I'm afraid some of you are too focused on piracy, when the homebrew scene is really not about that at all. 

64d.png

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Kirby said:

The ethos of being able to hack any device you own, as a point of principle, predates both piracy and emulation. It's about the hacker spirit, to have freedom of access to something you own. I'm afraid some of you are too focused on piracy, when the homebrew scene is really not about that at all. 

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

Lets keep the piracy morale chat out of this, or it will end up in name calling, bans and the thread being locked. 

Homebrew chat is fine as is updates on the scene, but NO links to or posts on how to pirate games.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

What are good homebrew things on other platforms that you're hoping for here? 

If it's anything like the Wii scene: buggy Mp3 player, utility to turn the console off, utility to make the console emit a high pitched whine, rudimentary port of space invaders, and about a million utilities to help you manage your pirated games.

• Upvote 7

13 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I get excited by exotic hardware,

18 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Since the Switch is mostly regular ARM hardware,

:sherlock:

• Upvote 6

18 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Since the Switch is mostly regular ARM hardware, it should be possible to run a vanilla Linux distribution and use it as a general-purpose computer, run Android on it, use it as a media center, run homebrew games, the possibilities are almost endless.

And for your "everyday" gamer, backing up your save files and backing up your physical games to a single, large SD card (so you never need to carry cartridges around) is very appealing.

It would be really fun to develop indie games for the Switch, without having to go through the Nintendo certification process which is unrealistic for some indie devs.

If you are that bothered about not carrying the teeny tiny carts around - buy everything digitally and store them on the giant SD card.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, jonny_rat said:

I and about a million utilities to help you manage your pirated games.

Well those will come in handy at least.

I bought a big motorbike and modded a lawnmower onto it but the fuckin cops bust my balls when I rid it onto the Lord Cricket Ground.

So I said to them, "It's MY broom broom." 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I'm surprised at the level of support for a corporation instead of consumer rights. Fundamentally it's an issue of personal freedom.

It would be a consumer rights issue if Nintendo sold the Switch on the promise it would do stuff like browse the web and have Youtube, but they didn't. It's doing everything they say it will.

• Upvote 1