Solid start.  I had to alt-tab end task out out of the callsign/mech customisation screen due to some sort of connection bug where it won't let you leave that screen, then got a lovely crash to desktop in the second mission.  Quality. :lol:

I think I'll revisit it in a day or two.

Sadly I'm absolutely gutted.

This is unplayable on my MacBook Pro. Even when I put the resolution down to 1400 x 900 the framerate is dropping to around 4 frames a second. Moving the screen or anything takes forever. It's just a nightmare.

I'm running a 15inch MBP with i7 and 16GB RAM and an Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB graphics card.

A quick google search claims that a Nvidia 660 is the minimum requirement for Battletech and that Intel Iris Pro falls well below by the sound of it. I don't think you have a realistic chance of running it, but 1400x900 is still pretty high, try going even lower - 1024x576 for example and set everything to low/off. Maybe you can get a playable framerate out of it that way - Sorry, I know it must be disappointing :(

• Upvote 1

I bought this played the start of the campaign, way too tedious, tried a skirmish but I'd lost patience by then. Refunded :/

The cameras were awful , graphics sub par and animations bad , I really dislike watching giant mechs sprint around like they weigh nothing. Cut scenes were interminable as well. 

Oh dear :(

I picked up God of War (amazing so far) yesterday so didn't get this in the end.  I'm still interested but might wait for patches/more impressions before taking the plunge.

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

A quick google search claims that a Nvidia 660 is the minimum requirement for Battletech and that Intel Iris Pro falls well below by the sound of it. I don't think you have a realistic chance of running it, but 1400x900 is still pretty high, try going even lower - 1024x576 for example and set everything to low/off. Maybe you can get a playable framerate out of it that way - Sorry, I know it must be disappointing :(

Tried everything! At lowest setting with lowest screen res and textures at low it still won’t play. Crashes constantly. Did the starting test battle and that is all it will do. 

I’m really sad about it. To play it properly I’d have to buy a 27 inch iMac which is the only one with the recommended graphics card to play it properly. It doesn’t look like it should need to be that graphic intensive at all. 

Basically today day is a sad day. 

Just to switch the mood around a little (though I'm very sad to hear about it not working on your laptop, Phelan, that sucks :( ), I had to tear myself away from this at 2am. 

I definitely accept that the game's pacing in single-player battles is slowed too much by enemy actions (particularly off-screen and minor units) and would be improved by the option to skip/fast-forward them, and the cinematic cameras are janky as all hell, but I otherwise really like the look of the game. 

More importantly, I find the core gameplay satisfying. The randomised but logical pattern of fire encouraging you to focus attacks from the same angle (while trying to encourage your enemies to do the opposite), the use of fast mechs as flankers and interdictors, bad luck and critical hits leading to sudden limb loss at the worst moment - the tactical combat is just very satisfying. 

What remains to be seen is how the campaign progresses; hopefully the challenge will increase as the first few missions have all been on the easy side (even when rocking up without a full crew). 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Phelan said:

Tried everything! At lowest setting with lowest screen res and textures at low it still won’t play. Crashes constantly. Did the starting test battle and that is all it will do. 

I’m really sad about it. To play it properly I’d have to buy a 27 inch iMac which is the only one with the recommended graphics card to play it properly. It doesn’t look like it should need to be that graphic intensive at all. 

Basically today day is a sad day. 

You could buy a PC to run it for over half the price and as a bonus have loads more games to play?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

You could buy a PC to run it for over half the price and as a bonus have loads more games to play?

I could but I’ve only used Macs since 1999, use iPhone, iPad and Apple TV and I genuinely don’t enjoy using windows so I’m ok missing out on a game that I’ll play one day. I’m upset but nothing can be done. 

Ill just plod on with PS4 games. 

jesus christ, this is up there with wasteland 2 in terms of utterly excessive usage of graphics card!?!

its using my gtx1070, fully!?!  for no visual reason at all!?

this is ridiculous, and is completely down to unity!

I mean, it's down to the developer's implementation of Unity, not Unity itself. 

My 1080 was running oddly hot until I stuck on v-sync - the game didn't seem to be capping its framerate until that point, so was merrily using full resources. Your mileage may vary, but it's probably worth a shot! 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Phelan said:

I could but I’ve only used Macs since 1999, use iPhone, iPad and Apple TV and I genuinely don’t enjoy using windows so I’m ok missing out on a game that I’ll play one day. I’m upset but nothing can be done. 

Ill just plod on with PS4 games. 

Lots of these PC-focused and Kickstarted games received a surprise console release later on. Wasteland, Numenera, Divinity, etc. And also PC games outside of Kickstarter like Shadow Tactics (a traditional stealth tactics game reminiscent of Commandos) are turning up on PS4! So there's always a small chance if it does well. Although Harebrained never bothered with console ports of their recent Shadowrun games sadly, so... But if PC is not an option then you'll just have to hope for a PS4 version to appear some day.

8 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

jesus christ, this is up there with wasteland 2 in terms of utterly excessive usage of graphics card!?!

its using my gtx1070, fully!?!  for no visual reason at all!?

this is ridiculous, and is completely down to unity!

Unity seems great for making games development accessible for more and smaller devs, but as a gamer I'm not so enthusiastic. Especially if you want to play one of those Unity games on a console - my PC can simply power through but on PS4 or XB1 even a basic looking Unity game gives terrible performance in most cases. Doesn't seem like the most optimised or easily optimisable engine...

4 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I mean, it's down to the developer's implementation of Unity, not Unity itself. 

Like I say in my post above, I think some of the blame lies with Unity itself. If 9 out of 10 Unity games run like shit (that's what it feels like at least, I haven't done any actual research), then I assume the engine itself is hard to optimize. That a handful of Unity games manage to run well seems like the exception. Maybe we should ask an actual developer though - @JPickford ? :)

Unity has an overhead, optimization is down to the developer. You work within or around the restrictions of the engine you are using. If it's not running well it's the devs fault. Plenty of games made with Unity run fine and look good.

• Upvote 1

...of course i tried vsync, why its not turned on to start with...fuck knows.

turned everything right down, made no difference at all to resources being used.

it was also using 12 gig of ram!?!

22 minutes ago, Strategos said:

Unity has an overhead, optimization is down to the developer. You work within or around the restrictions of the engine you are using. If it's not running well it's the devs fault. Plenty of games made with Unity run fine and look good.

Cheers for clarifying for noobs like me :) I'm guessing it's also an unavoidable result of Unity being relatively/affordable for inexperienced developers and/or developers with few resources, that you get end products that skimp on optimisation, correct? I consider Harebrained Schemes plenty professional and experienced though, some of the guys there have in the industry for ages - a few of them are responsible for the terribly disappointing Shadowrun FPS on 360 for example. So I'm surprised that Battletech turned out this way in terms of optimisation.

It's not too surprising considering that Shadowrun Returns was, at launch, also buggy and unoptimised and that was a far less technically challenging game.

They're a relatively small team that needs to keep their output on high turnaround, and it does mean their first passes are liable to come out a bit scruffy. That's no comfort to people for whom that renders the games unplayable of course, but I think that's more to blame than the engine they use. 

16 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Cheers for clarifying for noobs like me :) I'm guessing it's also an unavoidable result of Unity being relatively/affordable for inexperienced developers and/or developers with few resources, that you get end products that skimp on optimisation, correct? I consider Harebrained Schemes plenty professional and experienced though, some of the guys there have in the industry for ages - a few of them are responsible for the terribly disappointing Shadowrun FPS on 360 for example. So I'm surprised that Battletech turned out this way in terms of optimisation.

Yeah it's a strange one, I just went and played a game of Escape From Tarkov (Another Unity game)  just now to remind myself, and it looks and runs better than Battletech to me and it's still in Beta.

I can think of a number of times I've hit bottlenecks using Unity but always found a work around, I'm kind of intrigued. Playing Battltech (briefly) I was not impressed with the graphics, it also has a limited number of entities, on a constrained map. I'd like to know what's going on under the hood.

Only played a few hours but I'm massively enjoying this. Getting a sci fi Battle Brothers vibe off it, managing a mercenary company and all. I doubt it'll be the case but I hope there's a bit of dynamism with the contracts. Battle Brothers featured randomly occurring wars between noble houses that you could participate in. I heard BattleTech sandboxes after the main missions but I'm not holding out much hope for any overly emergent hijinks. That's definitely something worth expanding on in any future dlc. 

Things that are satisfying: outfitting a brawler mech with nominally weak mg weapons, using another mech's targetted strike to strip the armour from an enemy, then using your brawler's MGs to crit them into oblivion. 

I've played about 5-6 hours of this and I'm enjoying it. My only experience with the Battletech/mechwarrior world was ages ago; some freebie demo off the front of a PC magazine so am enjoying the backstory/world stuff.

Gamewise I'm enjoying the tinkering and mechwarrior progression but haven't delved too far into this yet. The actual battles to me are fairly satisfying, though I've only encountered one fight that I got totally wrong and was wiped out :)

Spec wise my computer is just above recommend spec but my gtx970 runs about 60-63 degrees despite there not much on screen, the same goes for when I'm using the ship ui. I suppose it's consistent if nothing else. That's with new drivers as well that were mentioned further up.

On 4/25/2018 at 10:05, Phelan said:

This might be a driver related problem, you're on Mac, and Apple famously don't give two shits about gaming so their driver team is unlikely to get around to fixing any driver related problems for a while.

On 01/05/2018 at 01:33, mushashi said:

This might be a driver related problem, you're on Mac, and Apple famously don't give two shits about gaming so their driver team is unlikely to get around to fixing any driver related problems for a while.

I've realised I won't be playing this till I buy a new Mac next year.

Don't worry I just bought a Switch so it will be Zelda for me instead of Battletech.

I've finished the story and steam says I've put 50 hours into it but you could probably do it in half or 2/3rds of that as i did 2 or 3 side missions usually in between the story missions.

Overall I've enjoyed it and these are my rambley thoughts in spoilers:

The missions are OK, not overly varied but there's not a lot you can do when the main crux is to basically shoot up the opposing side. The story missions are a bit more scripted and specific as you might expect and help push the story forward, your not always in the front line you're asked to do specific things to help the main story. There's the occasional difficulty spike in the side missions, some feel like they've been mis-labelled 1 skull above or below what you encounter.

The mech management is satisfying if a little frustrating at times and that's usually because the mech you're working on doesn't quite have the balance your looking for. There's a bit into the story where you're given 3 assault mechs, this was helpful but also a little disappointing as these 3 became my mainstay and i spent most of my time from then on trying to find a fourth mech to complement my others. It sort of trivialized the missions a bit.

The mechwarrior management was fairly straightforward but not overly in depth. I lost a 3-4 guys on the way but I've still got at least one from start (Medusa). In retrospect it didn't have to be too complicated as the complexity in Battletech comes from all these small systems combining and layering on top of each other (your mech and its loadout, your mechwarrior and their skills and ultimately the tactics you use on the battlefield).

The battles themselves are good, satisfying, if a little drawn out and make for some tense moments. There's been a few times when i thought i wasn't going to make it only to somehow pull off some close victories. The AI can sometimes punish you but also make some weird choices which can give you a "way out".

I've not played any online battles yet, that side of things don't really appeal but once you finish the story you're left to continue to do contracts. Weirdly i'm encountering more big mechs post story than during it so i'll may be play a bit more, see if i can't snag some bigger mechs, may be a King Crab!(sp?)

• Upvote 1