So excited by the news that a new Battletech game is in the works !!

Further Info

Shadowrun Returns developer Harebrained Schemes will be rebooting the beloved turn-based tactics series BattleTech.

Created by Harebrained Schemes founder Jordan Weisman back in 1984 as a board game called BattleDroids, the series changed its name to BattleTech in its second edition following a copyright squabble with Lucasfilm who'd already claimed the word "droid". The franchise went on to spawn numerous editions, novels, and video games. It even spawned the famous MechWarrior series.

Harebrained Schemes's upcoming BattleTech title will be the first turn-based BattleTech game for PC in over 20 years. Little is known about the game, but the developer said it will "feature an open-ended Mercenaries-style campaign that blends RPG 'Mech and MechWarrior management with modern turn-based tactics."

A Kickstarter campaign is planned to launch this autumn. Given how quickly Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun: Hong Kong reached its funding goal, it seems likely BattleTech will come to fruition.

• Upvote 3

Very happy that this is happening, but slightly less happy that Kickstarter is once again being used as a marketing tool for pre-orders rather than a genuine capital tool to fund a project which otherwise couldn't be implemented.

Also, mecha

• Upvote 1

slightly less happy that Kickstarter is once again being used as a marketing tool for pre-orders rather than a genuine capital tool to fund a project which otherwise couldn't be implemented.

How do you know that's true, though? Suppose the project costings work out as this thing will cost X million quid in salaries and overheads before a single game goes on sale. How do you know Harebrained have X million quid to invest?

How do you know that's true, though? Suppose the project costings work out as this thing will cost X million quid in salaries and overheads before a single game goes on sale. How do you know Harebrained have X million quid to invest?

Well they said that they had already funded Hong Kong, but wanted to use Kickstarter anyway - then got a fair bit more than they asked I, IIRC. So I would be amazed if none of that money had been used towards this to start things off.

I'm a bit uncomfortable about devs who now see Kickstarter as part of their business model (for everything they release) because, to me, it suggests either that their releases aren't earning enough to sustain their company or, as tyagi says, they are sustainable but using it as a marketing-tool, which sucks-up money from other projects.

• Upvote 1

I'm a bit uncomfortable about devs who now see Kickstarter as part of their business model (for everything they release) because, to me, it suggests either that their releases aren't earning enough to sustain their company

That's the impression I get from all these high profile 'successes' on Kickstarter, whatever they make from post-crowdfunding seems to not be enough to self-fund themselves and create the old virtuous circle of success breeding upon itself, running costs for more than a few people clearly are too great and profits too little to do it without resorting to crowdfunding to keep paying for things before commercial release.

Jonathan Blow has sunk all the money he made from Braid into his latest game, and he's one of the most successful indies out there financially, he's even now in debt as a result of getting that game over the finish line.

Nothing wrong with being excited and I'm semi-interested, but I have yet to be convinced that HBS can deliver interesting combat, which I figure will be fairly key for this. Consider it tempered-expectations.

Please be good, If there is any game that can draw me back to PC gaming it is this!

There is a multi-player video here which shows quite a bit of gameplay.

• Upvote 2

Today/Tomorrow Battletech launches on Steam and a few other places.

They raised around $2.5million on Kickstarter and then more later on. Considering the success of the Shadowrun series from these guys I reckon they could be on to a winner with this turn based Mech game.

Don't get me wrong it's no Mechwarrior (Albeit it is set in the same universe and we would all love the Mechwarrior series to come back on next-gen consoles) but it looks like a lot of fun. Campaign mission gameplay below.

I role-played the original Battletech game and have every single novel written for the series up until 2007. It's a rich universe with great characters so I hope they have been able to inject a strong storyline into this game - especially as they have had Michael J Stackpole writing a novel around the storyline (Stackpole wrote many of the core books around the Succession Wars).

I'll be playing online tomorrow as soon as it unlocks on Steam.

It's available on PC/Mac and Linux

http://harebrained-schemes.com/games/

• Upvote 3

I love that it's turn based.  It's going to be just like how the tabletop game was unfolding in my mind, only without me having to expend my precious imagination points on it.

• Upvote 1

I used to play  table top Battletech too.  Brilliant game.  The Mechwarrior games on PC were ace too.  So this has me very interested.  Any online reviews yet?  is it actually any good?

• Upvote 1

No idea. Launches tomorrow and haven’t really seen many reviews @Valver

i have it pre loaded and will play tonight when it goes live and report back. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Phelan said:

No idea. Launches tomorrow and haven’t really seen many reviews @Valver

i have it pre loaded and will play tonight when it goes live and report back. 

Looking forward to reading your impressions.  I may well get this later.

Preloaded here too; never too big a fan of the 'lore' of Battletech, but I love big stompy mechs and double-love strategy games involving them, so I'm pretty hopeful for this turning out well. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Phelan said:

Don't get me wrong it's no Mechwarrior (Albeit it is set in the same universe and we would all love the Mechwarrior series to come back on next-gen consoles)

mechwarrior 5 mercenaries, apparently due this year! https://mw5mercs.com/

looks a little rough, but still!

bunch of vds from ign on youtube.

Eurogamer gave it Recommended: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-04-24-battletech-review-long-overdue-turn-based-spin-on-a-strategy-great

It sounds good in their review, main shortfalls being a lack of variety in optimal strategies and mech types. 

Really sounds like my cup of tea, I'm an old fan of Mech Commander back in the day. I especially like that they have plenty of post-mission strategy and planning back on your home ship in Battletech. That's what made Mech Commander so good, the ongoing struggle with resources, crew members and repairs - where every action in the missions mattered because it had an impact in the metagame.

Looking forward to seeing some rllmuk impressions. 

11 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Looking forward to seeing some rllmuk impressions. 

I hear Wiper does a mean Bob Monkhouse.

Spoiler

Sorry :(

Spoiler

Not sorry.