rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

MASK

I loved MASK as a kid although this was after it originally aired, I remember my brother had Matt Trakkers car which I apparently smashed up :(

I did have this on VHS though

Nothing betters the 80s for cartoon intros!

2 hours ago, monkeydog said:

That constant overtime must get expensive.

I think they fight crime for the love of it, more than anything. Which is a great news for their CFO, I'll bet.

And @Harsin, I think they still have a lot deeper to go. They're probably through the base and rooting around in the dirt already, but they can still dig out some shite. When we see either a Visionaries or Centurions movie then we'll know they're in trouble.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

I think they fight crime for the love of it, more than anything. Which is a great news for their CFO, I'll bet.

And @Harsin, I think they still have a lot deeper to go. They're probably through the base and rooting around in the dirt already, but they can still dig out some shite. When we see either a Visionaries or Centurions movie then we'll know they're in trouble.

Knights of the magical light!

I think...

Although centurions was bloody cool to child me probably because it was half man half transformer but yet, they would make shit movies I don't doubt.

Edit: ooh bravestar! Strength of a pear, speed of a satsuma!

• Upvote 1

I hope this movie gets made - I loved the toys as a kid. There's been various announcements for a movie over the years. At one stage (around the time of Transformers 4, when the Transformers writers' room was a thing), there was an announcement it would be a GI Joe spin-off that would tie into the larger Hasbroverse.

I bought a few of the IDW MASK comics in 2016. The setup was good, positing that the vehicles are based on reverse-engineered Cybertronian technology, and Miles Mayhem made a great villain who walked the line between pantomime and serious threat, but the rest of the cast were dull and forgettable. I'm not sure if it improved, though assume not given its cancellation.

2 hours ago, Harsin said:

The nostalgiawank industry is really scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

There's still a way to go: an all-CGI remake of Button Moon. From the creators of The Emoji Movie, in association with Heinz Baked Beans and JML kitchen utensils. Mr Spoon voiced by James Cordon.

• Upvote 1

I had the comics on subscription as a youth and a whole wall of my bedroom was covered with the posters that came with it.

I've still got jackhammer, piranha, rhino, switchblade, gator (proper shit) and a few even more rogue ones when they basically ran out of ideas.

Edit: the one on the far right here for one, it changed into... A sort of bridge on wheels? Was 'sold' in the comics etc as a cunning ability to transform and avoid missiles being shot at it from the side :facepalm:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Harsin said:

The nostalgiawank industry is really scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

I dunno... We haven't had a GoBot movie yet.

1 hour ago, Andy_Why said:

Power Xtreme!

• Upvote 1

Always thought this could (but likely won't) make a good film, you can essentially have transformers but instead of needing to wrangle in human characters for the audience to associate with, your humans are already part of the basic premise.  If they can make the action so you can follow it and the transitions possible to follow then job done.

1 hour ago, b00dles said:

Edit: the one on the far right here for one, it changed into... A sort of bridge on wheels? Was 'sold' in the comics etc as a cunning ability to transform and avoid missiles being shot at it from the side :facepalm:

Bloody thing popped by just breathing on it. I loved MASK, but I hated that car. 

Let us never forget these powerful lyrics.

Masked Crusaders, Working Overtime,
Fighting Crime, Fighting Crime!
Secret Raiders Who Will Neutralize,
As Soon As They Arrive, At The Site
Trakker's Gonna Lead The Mission,
And Spectrum's Got Such Super Vision!
M-M-M-M.A.S.K.!!
Is The Mighty Power That Can Save The Day!
M-M-M-M.A.S.K.!!
No One Knows What Lies Behind The Masquerades!
M-M-M-M.A.S.K.!!
Always Riding Hot On V.E.N.O.M.'s Trail!
Come See The Laser Rays!
Fire Away!

• Upvote 2

I think i also thought it was HILARIOUS to  change the lyrics to that and specifically "Scott has got a television" instead of the spectrum line.

I've not got a lot funnier :P

:(

The car was a cool car though but it's transformation was poop. And I also think I broke the catch on it so had to bodge job blutak or some such so it wasn't always in shit bridge mode.

What was the one that was like a white van that split open down the middle? That was the coolest one I had. Other than that, I only had the green motorbike/helicopter that everybody had. And Boulder Hill.

9 minutes ago, Darwock said:

What was the one that was like a white van that split open down the middle? That was the coolest one I had. Other than that, I only had the green motorbike/helicopter that everybody had. And Boulder Hill.

Slingshot?

MSK_TOY_SS1.GIF

The only other ones I had were Raven.. which was a pretty cool car -> less cool hovercraft/boat/thing..

9d9c9ce2f56c2bd5fd3293267f03ce92.jpg

and Firefly - a dune buggy/glider

Kenner-MASK-MASK-Kenner-1986-Firefly-w-J

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, b00dles said:

3 hours ago, b00dles said:

Knights of the magical light!

"by natures hand, by craft, by art.

What once was one now fly apart!"

• Upvote 1

Raven was awesome. Firefly was the first one I got, from my bro and was always gutted that one of the wheels on the wing came off on a holiday.

Iguana was another one I had which I liked too

f285e35b28f0b526519f8a706b250373--toy-hi

Although the saw blade was disappointingly flimsy.

Oh and I meant condor which was shit earlier.

They also then got really really silly with... I'm going to say ghost twin versions of the main characters and toys that split which just made them slightly worse. But then all those 80s toys got to that shark jump moment compared to the actual original quite good ideas but with occasional sparks of inspiration.

I'd be amazed if it turns into a good film though.

• Upvote 1

I'm looking forward to the reveal that the Fast & Furious series has been a stealth prequel to this all along.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

Just how fast is a puma?

A quick Google says 64-80km/h.  What confuses me is why it cant go below 64km/h.  Maybe someone put a bomb on it.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Delargey said:

"by natures hand, by craft, by art.

What once was one now fly apart!"

"Sheathe these feet in the driving gale,

Make swift these feet, o’er land I sail"

Brilliant cartoon. Stuff that happened in previous episodes carried on into the next (which was rare at the time), the plot was better than the majority of other, similar cartoons and the animation was great as well. No idea why it only lasted 13 episodes. I was gutted when it ended.

By comparison, all Mask had going for it was the intro theme. Wasnt interested in it at all. Toys werent bad, but Transformers were just loads better.

Always thought Mask would make a great sandbox game. Given a mission you pick a few vehicles and off you go from boulder hill driving Rhino Rig or Thunderhawk (or TBob) etc then use your mask powers to solve puzzles or blow shit up. Sounds great!

• Upvote 4

This thread is making me realise that I’ve forgotten a lot of the toys I owned as a child. 

21 hours ago, MDY said:

Slingshot?

MSK_TOY_SS1.GIF

Clearly he's talking about Condor.

My favourite was a green 50s Pontiac-style car that turned into a 6 wheeler. Worst was the dune buggy that turned into a copter and a... chassis.

Also, my big brother had the Scalextric set, which was pretty excellent, though lacked any notable transforming.

maxresdefault.jpg

I didn't have it myself but a mate did, always thought the extra wheels was one of the more odd changes but it was cool.

• Upvote 1

My fondest MASK memory was when my younger brother decided it would be funny to lift his leg and fart loudly while shouting "Blaster 1!".  He then decided to go for "Blaster 2!" and promptly shat his pants.

• Upvote 5