Robo_1

Sega Announce MD Mini and Shenmue 1 & 2 Remastered

Didn't they have some big deal with Microsoft too (back when they were the biggest company in the world) and they actually jeopardised it by focusing too much on online? EDIT: yes

"Our business with Microsoft is finished," Sega chairman Isao Okawa told Nikkei Computer at a news conference last week. "Microsoft no longer has any interest in the network business."

By giving away the hardware [at a loss], Sega hopes to reduce the barrier to being a customer and make money off of software and access fees for SegaNet. Once they are logged on to SegaNet, gamers will be able to play people from across North America and, eventually, around the world. SegaNet is set to launch in the United States in September and in Canada by the end of the year.

Masuda said that Sega hopes to boost sales there "by promoting the Dreamcast as a communications tool that sends e-mail, views home pages and connects you to other players on the network." Slow Dreamcast sales in Japan are partly to blame for the company's poor financial performance this past year.

And they were paying for all their users online bandwidth, like some bizarro version of Xbox Live

3 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

And they were paying for all their users online bandwidth, like some bizarro version of Xbox Live

How is that any different to how PSN or Nintendo's online network do/did things?, Microsoft were the exception for years with their paid online.

Didn't sega's one dial up to central sega infrastructure?  So they had to run dedicated servers etc?

Whereas the new ones are peer to peer?

On 4/22/2018 at 23:46, Nick R said:

When Metropolis Street Racer came out (or rather, when it was scheduled to come out...), Official Dreamcast Magazine began their review by putting these images across two consecutive double-page spreads: photographs of London, followed by their in-game equivalents. It was a better advert for the game, and the console, than anything from Sega's own marketing. :(

VSQglkH.jpg

I posted this on r/Dreamcast and got a reply from Ed Lomas! :omg:

I was a bit gushing in my reply to him just now. :blush: My excuse is that the magazines he wrote for were a big part of my early teenage years.

Looking at his profile I see that in 2016 he did an AMA about his time working on ODM:

• Upvote 9

I remember when he wrote for CVG and how the magazine basically became a Dreamcast fanzine up until the consoles release.

On 24/04/2018 at 11:50, wev said:

I remember when he wrote for CVG and how the magazine basically became a Dreamcast fanzine up until the consoles release.

1990-1998 era cvg was the best. I remember ed being really enthusiastic about everything 

• Upvote 1

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:44, Down by Law said:

better look at the hardware...

DatS5VxUMAA45nu.jpg&client=cbc79c14efceb

The ATgames Flashback, for reference:

sega-genesis-flashback-64.jpg

The fact it's much smaller gives me a hope it's not a repackaged, frame skipping turd like the above. Though the 'menu'  button being the same on both is a bit of a !

They also Need to slap on the Mega Drive SEGA in the corner and of course HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS.

Well it certainly hasn't yellowed like those pair... UK/JPN Snes is a classic design sure but the US version is hideous and the NES is like a breadbin. Mega Drive MK1 beats them all hands down you crazy man!

edit: the one in this picture does have the Sega logo on the bottom right

mega-drive-mini-02.jpg

if ATgames are no longer writing the emulator nor can they recycle the shell (no cart slot on announced version) I can't see them having anything to do with this tbh.

I mean who puts a wireless controller in the box with a bloody screw cover to change the batteries? cheapo tat!

10 minutes ago, probotector said:

Also, glad sega listened and changed their minds.

I think in 5yrs we'll have old sega back at this rate.

I read somewhere the new person who heads up Sega Japan is much more keen on utilising classic games and IPs. I mean we've had Shenmue HD and Streets of Rage 4 given the go ahead which seemed impossible a decade ago, so I think they finally 'get it'

2 hours ago, Down by Law said:

I read somewhere the new person who heads up Sega Japan is much more keen on utilising classic games and IPs. I mean we've had Shenmue HD and Streets of Rage 4 given the go ahead which seemed impossible a decade ago, so I think they finally 'get it'

That would explain this poll Sega are running asking which game should get a Sega Ages Switch port: