rllmuk
dave7g

Playstation Now

36 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Shopto basically have one of the worse websites ever built.

Right. I'll save myself the torment the and give it a miss. Shame as it's a decent deal what with not having to stream.

1 hour ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Right. I'll save myself the torment the and give it a miss. Shame as it's a decent deal what with not having to stream.

Do you have PayPal, I generally use that with ShopTo with no issue.

19 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Do you have PayPal, I generally use that with ShopTo with no issue.

Nah. Thanks for letting me know though.

Anyone having any problems with this today? I grabbed Pillars of Eternity this morning, then went to download something else and it just wouldn't do it. Seems my PS Now and EA Access subs have just vanished and I don't have access to either any more.

Just tried restoring licenses and that gives me an error code as well.

I've given up on PSPlus in favour of this. I don't really play online any more and struggle more generally with TV time so this will replace purchases on the PS4.

Is there an online shopfront for it at all so I can queue up some downloads (got Spider-Man on the go atm) and browse the full collection?

On 30/04/2020 at 15:36, friedgold said:

I've given up on PSPlus in favour of this. I don't really play online any more and struggle more generally with TV time so this will replace purchases on the PS4.

Is there an online shopfront for it at all so I can queue up some downloads (got Spider-Man on the go atm) and browse the full collection?

No, there is just the browser on the console itself, which is quite slow and cumbersome compared to the shop/dashboard. 

The May games go online today and they are Rainbow Six Siege, Get Even and Evil Within 2. 

Oh cool, I didn't realise it updated monthly (thought it was just as and when). Anyway, I'm not regretting this at all. Spider-Man is great and streaming New Vegas is an absolute treat. It works so much better than I'd anticipated.

33 minutes ago, Rob Rymond said:

No, there is just the browser on the console itself, which is quite slow and cumbersome compared to the shop/dashboard. 

The May games go online today and they are Rainbow Six Siege, Get Even and Evil Within 2. 

Oh wow, the games are so much better than PS Plus these days. Count me as another convert to the PS Now club (though for me it's download only, streaming quality is lamentable).

Worth noting as well that all the PS Now games can be played online without have plus. 

Not sure any of those are great for me this month but I'm not fussed as I have a million things on there to play

44 minutes ago, friedgold said:

Oh cool, I didn't realise it updated monthly (thought it was just as and when). Anyway, I'm not regretting this at all. Spider-Man is great and streaming New Vegas is an absolute treat. It works so much better than I'd anticipated.

I think they started it monthly in November when they added GTA V and relaunched it with a monthly selection of limited tier titles. Last month they added Spiderman, Just Cause 4 and Golf Club, the latter of which actually is not scheduled to leave the service at any future point. I'm wondering if we'll get any other new titles though that are being added more permanently and those three are the 'marquee' titles.

Last month they seemed to hide away some additions and subtractions, so it's always worth a look through the catalogue

I got an email that laid it all out, what was coming and what was going (leaving a months grace to play them). So while it's bad that things leave, it's good there is some transparency. The end dates for Control and Spiderman are well signposted too.

Also, for the sake of fairness I should say:

21 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

streaming quality is lamentable

With this thread in mind I tried it again last night, and the streaming was absolutely flawless. Perfect! So it's all very YMMV.

The streaming becomes absolutely awful if your PS4 is downloading anything at the same time, but if not it's perfectly fine, notwithstanding the fact that it's only 720p.

Yep, as long as nothing else is going on with your network the streaming seems fine. 

The big games they signpost well, the lesser ones not. Mortal Kombat X slipped off last month with no warning, it had been on there for a year or so. Started playing Spiderman this morning which is good fun so far. The constant quipping is getting on my nerves, but the movement and combat is great

I signed up for the one week free trial - it’s really cool that there are Games from across the generations available. I never owned a PS3 so I went straight for MGS4 and apart from having to readjust to the low-res textures it’s kinda mind-blowing that the game is being beamed directly into my PS4 from the interweb so smoothly. I mean, I literally can’t detect lag and there’s no stuttering at all. 

It’s really quite something. 

Price war is active on psnow and psplus subs. Shopto now doing both for £29.85 each. I've already bought £35 worth of credit for the same price, in anticipation of the event starting.

Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if Sony are about to merge psplus and psnow, with a grace period similar to microsoft where both existing subs will stack on to each other for the combined offering. The offer price being the same for both services is something they have never done before and is a bad move because it muddies the water even more between the two services. Publishing the deal weeks before the event also makes me think that they might be allowing a clearing phase for the retailers before introducting the new service. Again, complete speculation on my part.

I've read lots of anicdotal stories of people letting their psplus subs lapse and considering a psnow sub instead. In my opinion, Sony simply have to get us multi-console users back on sony platforms before next gen. As it stands, the only next-gen console that I am considering at launch is the xbox, due to game pass. However, if Sony give me a similar deal, I'm not so sure. MS are adding their cloud streaming service to game pass ultimate in a couple of months so if Sony do not do something they will have a very weak offering in comparison. I'm not expecting Sony to match MS in their first party game pass policy.

4 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

Price war is active on psnow and psplus subs. Shopto now doing both for £29.85 each. I've already bought £35 worth of credit for the same price, in anticipation of the event starting.

Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if Sony are about to merge psplus and psnow, with a grace period similar to microsoft where both existing subs will stack on to each other for the combined offering. The offer price being the same for both services is something they have never done before and is a bad move because it muddies the water even more between the two services. Publishing the deal weeks before the event also makes me think that they might be allowing a clearing phase for the retailers before introducting the new service. Again, complete speculation on my part.

I've read lots of anicdotal stories of people letting their psplus subs lapse and considering a psnow sub instead. In my opinion, Sony simply have to get us multi-console users back on sony platforms before next gen. As it stands, the only next-gen console that I am considering at launch is the xbox, due to game pass. However, if Sony give me a similar deal, I'm not so sure. MS are adding their cloud streaming service to game pass ultimate in a couple of months so if Sony do not do something they will have a very weak offering in comparison. I'm not expecting Sony to match MS in their first party game pass policy.

I'm one who dropped Plus for Now and don't regret it at all, except for cloud saves, but I just do that with a USB. I don't play much online because of that extra cost but you can already multiplayer on Now without plus. I really hope that they do combine the services and give us a good kick off deal like MS did, but I don't see Sony being that generous. 

It would be interesting to know what the rate of uptake on PS Now is. If it’s not very high Sony might consider a PS ‘complete’ sub that covers both Plus and Now, for a slightly higher price. 

(It looks like Microsoft have already done this and it’s called Game Pass Ultimate, so even more reason for Sony to follow suit.)

From a marketing point of view, having a single subscription would be a much easier sell to customers.

Also, between buying games (physically or digitally), getting games for free through Plus and getting access to a catalogue of games through Now, I wouldn’t have thought many people had enough free time to be inclined to sub to more than one service; in a sense they’re competing with each other within the PlayStation ecosystem. Merging them would, I think, make most sense for both Sony and customers - a single, more expensive and better value service yielding a higher return per customer. 

I believe the latest numbers are something like 2 million subscribers for PSNow Vs 10 million subscribers for GamePass. Until Sony start putting up their first party stuff on there a lot quicker than they are (and on a permanent basis too, not this 3 months limited time thing they're doing right now) I'm not sure I see it competing from a subscriber perspective unless they just merge PS+ and PSNow

I think part of the problem they have is that when they released PS Now it was a complete disaster. It was overpriced, didn't stream well and had a limited set of games. Now you can download PS4 games, PS3 streaming works fine, there are tons of good games and the price is more realistic. It was a no brainer for me to switch from plus to Now. 

Now that they have a decent service though they still don't seem to be sure how to market it. 

• Upvote 1

Tempted to to try this for £30 (got a 300mb fttp connection and latency is tiny). Ability to try games via streaming feels like a win. 

8 minutes ago, spanx said:

Tempted to to try this for £30 (got a 300mb fttp connection and latency is tiny). Ability to try games via streaming feels like a win. 

I'm on a 35 connection and its fine. My lad was streaming Doom the other day with very little lag. But PS4 stuff can be downloaded if you have the space.

I got a cheap year sub what with the lockdown - don't stream anything but already had decent value from downloadable stuff. Just with PS2 Katamari Damacy was available.

Just tried the demo, streamed Everybody’s Tennis on the PS2 (which is fab!) and completely forgot I was streaming. Couldn’t detect any control lag at all and the video quality was excellent. 

Just slammed £30 down on the ShopTo offer. Impressed

• Upvote 1

My experience was exactly the same and I’m at serious risk of being swept up in the excitement of spending £30.