Currently playing...

Fell asleep after a large dinner around 7pm. Woke up after a decent sleep and had a hankering for some early morning retro gaming. In absolute heaven drinking coffee and watching a YouTube doc about the SNES and playing Metal Storm on the NES Mini in bed. These Mini console's pads feel fantastic to use. How close are they to their original iterations?

Who needs a PS5 and and Nvidia monster PC when you can play quality games from 30 years ago*

20200903_042238 (1).jpg

*Me but there's a place for everything and I missed all these cool sprite games first time around.

15 hours ago, Qazimod said:

And Sonic Rush, of course. Is 2005 “retro”?

Going by CEX pricing for DS stuff these days - yes! I’m so glad I bought Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest V and the Castlevanias at the time. Sure I have Sonic Rush too. 

Is the iOS Christian Whitehead version of CD considered the best port of that? I do have an 8bitdo MD-style controller but also the US version (the music,  I know...) and the PS3 release to choose from. I’ve given up trying to get a Japanese version to run on my Retropie setup sadly.  

Played an hour of Blaster Master and then found out it has a modern release over on Switch. Straight to the E-shop and bought Blaster Master Zero 2. Luckily I did a bit of reading first as Zero seems to be a remake and I'd rather finish that on NES first and have Zero 2 for my wherever I may roam game. So not technically retro but sure feels like it and I do have MB on pause whilst having a dabble on Switch.

Either way these feel absolutely incredible to play. Really am grateful to the Mini console boom as it's finally got me spending real time with that eras games. I think it's the controllers. Feels right.

Been playing a lot on my Super Famicom recently. Mainly Final Fight, Final Fight Guy and Final Fight 2. I’m practicing to see if I can get through the first game with Cody using no continues. Having real issues beating the Stage 4 boss ‘Abigail’ at the moment. Can’t work out a reliable way to hit him without getting twatted first.

On 03/09/2020 at 05:36, Yasawas said:

Is the iOS Christian Whitehead version of CD considered the best port of that? I do have an 8bitdo MD-style controller but also the US version (the music,  I know...) and the PS3 release to choose from. I’ve given up trying to get a Japanese version to run on my Retropie setup sadly. 

I've got both the PC and iOS versions of Sonic CD and they're basically identical. However, I seem to recall it was harder to restart a special stage on the iOS version for some reason, whereas on the PC (and consoles, presumably) you could quit the game from within a special stage and reload at the beginning of it. Something like that, I can't remember exactly, but it made it harder to practice the special stages.

Pretty sure all formats have both soundtracks included (just without the lyrics in the Japanese intro, for legal reasons).

Just had a crack at the SMS version of Rampage with my 7 y/o, and to my immense suprise, beat it first try. We swapped pads a lot, so I'd take over whichever monster had lowest health, as I was better at eating people. She lasted until the penultimate set of stages, then I managed to beat New York. She did well at grasping the three golden rules (jump off falling buildings, stay out of the water, don't hit each other), and a good time was had by all, although it does get a bit monotonous towards the end.

I remember this being stupidly hard on the Amiga, but in retrospect that was probably due to only having a one button controller - being able to just jump off stuff at short notice is vital to success.

Still picking away at an 11 exit super Mario world run.

i can definitely do it, but the extra pressure of trying to record it makes me do stupid things.... I just died on bowser where it would have been under 15 minutes.

i don’t care if it’s not super fast and perfect, I just want one run where I don’t die!

• 2 weeks later...

I did an RGB mod on a top loader NES I got for €45 a few months ago. First time doing this sort of mod. Seems to be working alright so far, used one of my favourite games to do initial tests - Snake Rattle N Roll.

I now seem to own a LOT of 8 bit Nintendos. 2x Famicoms (1 AV modded, 1 RGB modded), a PAL front loader, a US top loader and the Lego version!

IMG_5759.thumb.jpeg.74bff3d3d9b7523322e4837768c735bb.jpeg

Bizarrely I’m also playing one from Allstars but this time it’s the sublime Super Mario Galaxy. 

I’ve recently resurrected the Mother in law’s Wii and set up usb loader gx so after breaking out the Galaxy disc that’s my next couple of months sorted. 

Currently up to the kitchen galaxies. Not enjoying those comet challenges though. 

Hopping in and out of FFVI (III) at the moment. I've never actually finished this, but there's not much coming out for a while and so I'm just messing around with a new file. Last time I attempted to play this I got to the floating continent way too soon and couldn't even flee to where the airship was without dying. Right now I'm at the World of Ruin - it took me 20.5 hrs, my party was around level 29-30 and I was equipped with 99 Tinctures, so at least I'll know what's needed in the future! So far the WoR seems to be a lot of little quests and dungeons, so I'll see how that goes (at least until I get distracted and start playing something else...)

Just finished Super Adventure Island on the SNES.

The game feels very budget, there’s only 5 stages split into 3 areas and a boss. I haven’t played the PC Engine version, which came out the same year, but a quick look on YT indicates that it was a much bigger game. I’m not sure if Hudson wanted their character in the SNES, just to try and pull people to a ‘bigger, better’ PC Engine version.

The game is missing numerous bits of continuity, which makes it feel a somewhat patched together. It’s like you go from a forest to cave without any indication as the why/how...At least put a cave sprite at the end of the level! The ironic thing about this is that the first person credited is ‘Story’!

The music was done by Yuzo Koshiro, which I didn’t know. As expected the music is great, although I’m not sure some of it actually fits the game particularly. The tunes are very catchy though and well worth a listen.

Those familiar with Wonderboy will recognise the character movement. With no momentum it’s small jump with no distance and at full speed it’s any sized jump. This is quite a neat concept and it forces you to kind of speed run sections to keep momentum because if you lose it  things can go south very quickly. Nailing aplatform sections at full speed definitely feels satisfying.

Its probably only taken me 4-5 hours to finish and there’s literally no reason to return other than score. Overall a very average game.

Metal Gear Solid 2. From the tanker, to ease myself into the... idiosyncrasies of the control system.

I got the USP! I'm not sure I ever managed that in my earlier attempts to play it.

though I'm playing it on super-easy, because I want to experience the story.

honest!

I'm playing Metroid Fusion on my GameBoy Player. 

I've never played this one before and I'm really impressed with it. Incredible graphics, sound and presentation. It looks and sounds fantastic though my lovely old CRT. 

I'm a bit stuck on the Nightmare boss at the moment. It's been a pretty tough sequence going from the spider boss (he was a bastard), through the encounter with the SA- X and now the Nightmare. All good fun though. 

Heh, nice one, I've been replaying Fusion for the first time in about five years myself. I've loved it since it was first released and (even as a massive Super Metroid bore) always thought it was really unfairly maligned by many fans - it's superficially restrictive in its stage design, but it's hard to hold that against it when it's pulling out all the stops to be bold and adventurous and weird in every other respect. And it rarely falters in its execution, which is more than you can say for anything we've seen since. 

Nightmare's a fun boss, but I'm not up to it yet so I can't really remember too many pointers. I know you can hang on the rail to the left during the final phase and fire off missiles right into its mug, if it helps. IIRC the main thing is knowing when to screw attack over it so that you don't just get trapped in the corner and take loads of damage before it moves away again...

I assumed it was designed to be playable in fairly bitesized chunks, to make it a good fit for the handheld. The restrictive nature doesn't bother me at all. In fact I think it's really impressive the way they've made the game design feel like it suits the confines of the space station. 

Yeah I need to get the hang of space jumping over the Nightmare - I keep getting sandwiched! 

I played Metroid Fusion back on release, on an OG GBA with a flashcart. I completed it, but didn't like it - being led by the nose everywhere was no fun, there was far too much text, and not being able to go places just because Computer Says No just didn't feel like a valid enough reason. The new Lumpy Space Samus suit looks bad, and the enemy designs are also a bit VGA shareware game. I particularly disliked Nightmare, who looks like a Telebug that got really into My Chemical Romance, and doesn't feel Metroidy (for lack of a better word) at all.

Anyway, in the years afterwards, I kept reading about people saying it was great, so I went back to it about ten years after that original play, with a legit cart on a backlit AGS-101, and completed it again. Felt exactly the same, still no fun.

I wouldn't say anyone's right or wrong here, it just didn't give me what I want an expect from a Metroid game - a sense of being alone and exploring a huge world, where the ability to advance is reliant on expanding my abilities. For the record, Prime 1 & 2 nailed this for me, while Prime 3 didn't work for me at all.

I did enjoy the hiding-from-the-Samus-X bits, when you're still vulnerable to cold, though - that really worked.