Stanshall

Abandoned Games (2018 Edition)

aka 'Which games have you not completed? (2018 Edition)' 

As much as I've enjoyed working through my Switch backlog over the past couple of months, I've also 'enjoyed' writing certain games off when I've hit the point that they become a chore. Flogging my XB1X, Wii U and 3DS was mostly a relief, if only in avoiding the tacit iconographic taunts of AC:Origins, The Wonderful 101 and Smash 3DS, among others. Money straight down the bog. That said, I didn't give them a fair enough crack to pass meaningful comment. Instead, this is a thread for those games you've put some time into and intended to finish but for various reasons, you've concluded that the time regained supercedes any further enjoyment or fiscal guilt complex. I suppose this thread could also be used to convince another poster to give things another go with a different approach, or simply to call them a dunce.

Cave Story+ (Switch)

Having never played this first time around, or second or third or any subsequent iteration until the Switch release, I suspect that I don't have a true appreciation of how significant a title this is, and was, as forefather to the booming indie scene. It certainly charmed me for the first hour with its pretty and goofy chiptune soundtrack, chunky pixelated characters and a dose of humour. I was intrigued by the story developments and appreciated the generous supply of power ups to give a sense of momentum and progress. I quickly found the controls quite frustrating, though, and found the power up/power down mechanic meant I kept stopping to farm to level back up before attempting a new area or boss. Perhaps I shouldn't have done so but as lower level weapons simply mean that you take more time to dispatch enemies and run the risk of losing health and levelling down further, I felt obliged to stay at or near max power and this became a part of the loop which I found off-putting.

While the story and Metroidvania-lite elements started off quite intriguing, I soon felt turned off by the numerous characters and varied motivations and disparate environments. I didn't feel a connection to any of them. By the time I reached the Sand Zone and I was rescuing five dogs hidden around the map, for no discernible reason besides more gamey gatekeeping, I decided I'd had enough. I could say more about how frustrating and fiddly I found the movement and shooting and how dull I found the moment-to-moment gameplay. Every encounter involves shuffling a few pixels here or there to abuse safe zones, or take unavoidable damage. Jumping feels laggy and imprecise. I can imagine how impressive it was back in the day that this was put together by one person, and I can imagine how liberating and inspiring this is to would-be devs but having thoroughly enjoyed the likes of Celeste and Bleed already this year, Cave Story's mechanical limitations and lack of hook are stark enough for me to draw a line through it and uninstall.

Snipperclips - Cut It Out Together (Switch)

Over a year on and I've still not finished Snipperclips. An excellent launch title to showcase the split Joycon local multiplayer, it's the only game my wife has deigned to play, in an attempt to quell my first-week incessant ravings. We had a great laugh with it, learning the simple mechanics together, playing on the kitchen table, and working through some straightforward puzzles with a little exaggerated tension. A couple of weeks later I fired it up again with a non-gaming mate, similar reaction and similar short burst of entertainment. A couple of weeks later, I gave it another whirl with my mate's kid, similar reaction but more shortlived. A couple of weeks later, I'd forgotten about it.

The game itself is not inherently entertaining or fun once the mechanical novelty wears off. The enjoyment comes from the interaction between you and your real-life counterpart. Granted, you could say the same about many games but generally not with video games. It's too simplistic and more frustrating than challenging. I could recreate the same sensations by trying to fix a cupboard hinge while my wife delivers unwanted advice. I didn't try the DLC but I didn't hear a single word about it, so I assume it's more of the same.

SHITCANNED 

• Upvote 1

Zelda Breath of the Wild - (Switch).

I know, I know.  Neg me all you like, but hear me out....  I try, I really do, but I just don't get it.  

I played the N64 Ocarina one, all the way to the water towers.  I ended up buying a Prima strategy guide book to help.  I eventually managed it and completed the game, but how the hell was anyone ever supposed to complete that without help?  It's like sticking a rubik's cube in the middle of an adventure and asking you to solve it to continue.

But I really, really liked the look of the Switch, so I bought one with Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart and Zelda.  Odyssey is just wonderful - a joy.  Mario Kart is... Mario Kart.  Good, haven't spent long on it, but Sonic All Stars Transformed is better (right up to the brutal difficulty that makes you despair).

But Zelda.  There's no instruction book in the box, you just start playing and explore.  Please correct me if I'm missing something, but there's an introductory area that seems to be there to teach you the basics of the gameplay.  You aim to get the wing glider, but really, seeking out those towers is all about teaching you how to play.  You see one in the distance, and you freeze to death when you set off there.  So you head elsewhere and explore, and realise that for a tutorial section, this is very open world, there is a lot of space to explore.  Eventually, you feel like you've done everything and yet you still can't get to that last tower without freezing to death.  Well, it turns out, after googling a walkthrough that in one corner of this massive map, there's a hut.  inside the hut is a man's diary.  If you read that it tells you that you can cook things in the pots that are sporadically littered around the play area.  and if you cook certain items, you will make something that keeps you warm.  So you do this, and think, how the hell would anyone know that, unless they happen to stumble across the hut and happen to read that diary? The place is massive, and this is one place, one location, one small detail, and your entire ability to progress hinges on seeing it, understanding it and doing it?????

So you do it anyway, because, you know, £50.  And when you do complete the tutorial, the whole game world opens up and it's MASSIVE.  Bigger than the biggest thing.

FUCK THAT.

(neg button is bottom right, cheers)

• Upvote 13
  • Downvote 6
  • Empathy 8

Yeah I started BoTW, got the Glider and then just went in basically every direction till I've seen most of the world. Haven't really done any quests or anything. Just Cause 3's world has spoiled me too much, BoTW is so empty, bland, lifeless. I like exploring but only triggered a Prince Zora cutscene, helped that tiny girl in the Tower and dressed up as a woman to get into Gerudo land. Then got bored.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, dumpster said:

The place is massive, and this is one place, one location, one small detail, and your entire ability to progress hinges on seeing it, understanding it and doing it?????

There's also, around the same place, the old tutorial fella saying he'll sort you out a warm jumper in exchange for you learning how to hunt and whatnot.

15 minutes ago, dumpster said:

You see one in the distance, and you freeze to death when you set off there.  So you head elsewhere and explore, and realise that for a tutorial section, this is very open world, there is a lot of space to explore.  Eventually, you feel like you've done everything and yet you still can't get to that last tower without freezing to death.  Well, it turns out, after googling a walkthrough that in one corner of this massive map, there's a hut.  inside the hut is a man's diary.  If you read that it tells you that you can cook things in the pots that are sporadically littered around the play area.  and if you cook certain items, you will make something that keeps you warm.  So you do this, and think, how the hell would anyone know that, unless they happen to stumble across the hut and happen to read that diary? The place is massive, and this is one place, one location, one small detail, and your entire ability to progress hinges on seeing it, understanding it and doing it?????

So you do it anyway, because, you know, £50.  And when you do complete the tutorial, the whole game world opens up and it's MASSIVE.  Bigger than the biggest thing.

FUCK THAT.

There are many approaches to this. I didn't know about the cooking. I just carried a lit torch. The game encourages you to try things.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Stanshall said:

aka 'Which games have you not completed? (2018 Edition)' 

Are you having a laugh? I could probably finish a game in the time it'd take me to list out all of the fucking things I've got on the pile. 

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, freezycold said:

There are many approaches to this. I didn't know about the cooking. I just carried a lit torch. The game encourages you to try things.

Also the start area is hardly “massive”, you’re bound to bump into the old bloke relatively quickly. As for the ingredients, it’s called spicy meat and seafood platter, or similar, you don’t need to be Stephen fucking Hawking to work out what the ingredients are! 

Oh, I see how it is. Sacred beefburgers for dinner, all round!

On a slightly lower-key note...

The End Is Nigh (Switch)

I enjoyed Super Meat Boy but I never really fell for it. I probably only completed a few worlds on the PS4 and the Switch edition may well end up making an appearance in this thread, though I do plan to give it a proper go, in any case. Isaac AB+, meanwhile, was my GOTY 2017 and purely in terms of playtime, it obliterated everything else last year by about two hundred hours. I was all set for The End Is Nigh, then, despite knowing that it was a lot more Meat Boy than Isaac. It fell way short of my expectations and hopes and feels like a step backwards from SMB, in every respect.

Graphically, while I understand the desire to explore a different direction, this is a dull, ugly game. While Meat Boy and Isaac were equally grim and puerile, they at least had personality, the characters had charm. This lacks any warmth and the tone of the game is try-hard, on-the-nose edgelord at every turn. Haha cancer. Derek and Clive are surely turning in their graves. Haha graves. The soundtrack is little better, with the strange choice to loop classical melodies to the point that they become as irritating as telephone hold music. I loathe the presentation of this game.

While Meat Boy was a very linear game with each level being a puzzle to find the fastest route, as well as a test of reflexes and control, The End Is Nigh appears to reduce this even further. Each level seems to have one way to reach the exit and from the earliest stages, it's simply a case of seeing which unpredictable elements will shaft you. It's a skill-based game but one in which you're obliged to die unpredictably simply to learn which elements will shaft you. Yes, yes, that could describe many games but it's seldom felt so stark to me that I had to die simply to find out what to do next.' I'll give SMB another go but post-Celeste, this has no place in my world. I haven't even got on to the decision to substitute wall jumps for the fiddly and unsatisfying wall hang.

IN THE BIN

48 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I know, I know.  Neg me all you like, but hear me out....  I try, I really do, but I just don't get it.  

I played the N64 Ocarina one, all the way to the water towers.  I ended up buying a Prima strategy guide book to help.  I eventually managed it and completed the game, but how the hell was anyone ever supposed to complete that without help?  It's like sticking a rubik's cube in the middle of an adventure and asking you to solve it to continue.

But I really, really liked the look of the Switch, so I bought one with Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart and Zelda.  Odyssey is just wonderful - a joy.  Mario Kart is... Mario Kart.  Good, haven't spent long on it, but Sonic All Stars Transformed is better (right up to the brutal difficulty that makes you despair).

But Zelda.  There's no instruction book in the box, you just start playing and explore.  Please correct me if I'm missing something, but there's an introductory area that seems to be there to teach you the basics of the gameplay.  You aim to get the wing glider, but really, seeking out those towers is all about teaching you how to play.  You see one in the distance, and you freeze to death when you set off there.  So you head elsewhere and explore, and realise that for a tutorial section, this is very open world, there is a lot of space to explore.  Eventually, you feel like you've done everything and yet you still can't get to that last tower without freezing to death.  Well, it turns out, after googling a walkthrough that in one corner of this massive map, there's a hut.  inside the hut is a man's diary.  If you read that it tells you that you can cook things in the pots that are sporadically littered around the play area.  and if you cook certain items, you will make something that keeps you warm.  So you do this, and think, how the hell would anyone know that, unless they happen to stumble across the hut and happen to read that diary? The place is massive, and this is one place, one location, one small detail, and your entire ability to progress hinges on seeing it, understanding it and doing it?????

FUCK THAT.

Mostly agree. Got past the "tutorial" bit... just a bit of thinking and exploring. Still not 100% convinced I'm enjoying this after each session I have with it. Its certainly a new bold direction for the Zelda series... Currently just left the Kakariko village and have four quests assigned to me... sometimes this game feels like hard work.....hoping it will pick up and re-resurrect interest otherwise I will just move it on. Which is a shame for it was mainly this and Mario that I bought a Switch to play (finished Mario it was fantastic!).

10 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Are you having a laugh? I could probably finish a game in the time it'd take me to list out all of the fucking things I've got on the pile. 

As I say, it's not about listing your backlog, it's about recording stuff you're striking from the record, writing off bad debts, being reborn with the cleansing fires of abandonment. It's giving something a bloody good go and saying fuckity bye.

I mean, I explained all this in the opening paragraph. Did you abandon the OP without giving it a proper chance? :lol:

I've got to say, though, without dictating the thread topic, Zelda has been debated to death for like 700 pages and it's still on the front page of the forum...

3 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

As I say, it's not about listing your backlog, it's about recording stuff you're striking from the record, writing off bad debts, being reborn with the cleansing fires of abandonment. It's giving something a bloody good go and saying fuckity bye.

I mean, I explained all this in the opening paragraph. Did you abandon the OP without giving it a proper chance? :lol:

I read the first line and added the rest to the pile.

• Upvote 2

More seriously, I am actually doing this except I kind of ballsed up the whole thing by just completing a game I've already completed on a different platform anyway :facepalm: And then after that, putting a load of time into a game or two that are effectively infinitely replayable, no wonder I never seem to whittle things down.

The tutorial section of BOTW is so well designed and was one of the great joys of the whole game. As mentioned, there are multiple ways to get to that tower. Spicy peppers are at some of the entrances to the cold area - that's a clue! You can probably even brute force it and eat your way there with a large stock of apples! It's a real shame if that out you off @dumpster

Maybe people can convince me not to give up on...

Resident Evil 7 - I'm not playing in VR and certainly did enjoy the first couple of hours. But I feel it's a very stop start experience. So far it seems I encounter a situation, which at first is really tense. I then die a few times, each time the situation becoming less tense, until I figure out the solution (hide here, access this trapdoor, etc) by which stage I've seen the same scenario play out many times (yeah maybe I just suck). Then I'm onto the next bit which is much the same. I've not played much, maybe 3-4 hours, but I have no real desire to go back to it. I've actually heard the start is the best bit...should I continue?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Also the start area is hardly “massive”, you’re bound to bump into the old bloke relatively quickly. As for the ingredients, it’s called spicy meat and seafood platter, or similar, you don’t need to be Stephen fucking Hawking to work out what the ingredients are! 

But you do need to understand that these are items you can find and chuck in a pot.  I get that some people, most people just see that and click! They know what to do.  The fact that there are spicy meats to be found near the entrance of the cold areas just doesn't work as a clue for me. My brain doesn't work in the way that all Zelda's want it to. I walk around with hundreds of items, not really thinking about using them. Why would spicy meat not keep me warm, when spicy meat with seafood will? I end up just wandering. For ages. And I have things to do. If I devote an hour to this, I want to make some progression in that hour.

I passed a tower entrance earlier that had thorns all around it. So I guess I need some item that gets me past the thorns. But the item could be anything. It could be anywhere. And the reward will be to go into that tower but thats crazy because to me, thats where the "game" is. The game is inside the tower so why would it stop me getting in? Force me to hunt around for something that could be anything , anywhere.

I fully understand that I do not fully understand Zelda. But I have tried many times over the years and I guess it's not for me. But that bothers me because I know I'm missing out. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

What I love about this Zelda, is there is often a number of ways to solve the same problem. So with one of the shrines that is surrounded by thorns you could set fire to them, or climb up a nearby mountain and glide past them or build an Ice pillar an jump over it.

It's all about exploration and experimentation! 

• Upvote 2

@dumpster Hmmm... You’re right, you really don’t get Zelda! What you find frustrating, I find intriguing and mysterious. When I see a tower entrance covered in thorns I know that, if I can’t get in there straightaway, I’ll come across something during my travels that will enable me to do so at a later stage. It’s the age old Metroidvania school of game design.

Anyway, not wishing to derail the thread, I’ll leave it there :)

• Upvote 2

I fear Monster Hunter World will fall into this category for me.. not because it's a bad game (far from it) purely because I can see it becoming an all consuming experience that would devour all free time for a number of months.. and I simply don't have time for that kind of addiction right now. 

6 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

I couldn’t be bothered to finish Horizon Zero Dawn.

This, for me as well. I've tried a few times to get into it but it just bores me. 

• Upvote 1

@mdn2 Yeah, it looks plain fucking amazing, but it reeks of Ubisauce and I found the much lauded combat tedious.

I think it's possible on hard mode or after a certain point in the story, everything changes, but I have too much to play to risk it!

Mr Shifty (Switch)

Another launch-period ho-hum game. I have deleted and reinstalled this more times than I've pressed start on it. It should work well as a pick up and play type thing but it's so frustrating and repetitive. There are some nice touches with the variety of objects you can use as a weapon, it's nippy, it's fantastic mashy fun when it all clicks but many screens are just annoying. Sometimes you get shot, sometimes not. It seldom feels like you've overcome a challenge, you've either breezed through it with a bit of good fortune or you've been stopped in your tracks by an errant bullet. The light puzzle and exploration elements are appreciated, in terms of the extra effort and thought, but they're seldom necessary and when they are, it's another source of frustration to attack every wall to find a weak spot. It feels good to absolve myself once more. Mr Shifty, you kept me company briefly in those early days but the moment has passed.

On 14/03/2018 at 15:02, Hylian said:

Maybe people can convince me not to give up on...

Resident Evil 7 - I'm not playing in VR and certainly did enjoy the first couple of hours. But I feel it's a very stop start experience. So far it seems I encounter a situation, which at first is really tense. I then die a few times, each time the situation becoming less tense, until I figure out the solution (hide here, access this trapdoor, etc) by which stage I've seen the same scenario play out many times (yeah maybe I just suck). Then I'm onto the next bit which is much the same. I've not played much, maybe 3-4 hours, but I have no real desire to go back to it. I've actually heard the start is the best bit...should I continue?

No. Absolutely not. Just send it to me. I'll take care of it for you :wub:

King of Fighters 98 (Switch)

I've tried with this several times but I haven't found a single character yet which I really enjoy or which clicks with me. There's too much choice, perhaps, for someone new to this series. Some of the characters feel like parodies, others seem very interchangeable. I bought it in the early days of the Switch, whenever it was released, but it's got nothing on Garou or The Last Blade, to my tastes.

I'm sure it's brilliant and I'm missing something but I am prepared to consign it to the uninstall tip. 

On 14/03/2018 at 17:30, dumpster said:

I passed a tower entrance earlier that had thorns all around it. So I guess I need some item that gets me past the thorns. But the item could be anything. It could be anywhere. And the reward will be to go into that tower but thats crazy because to me, thats where the "game" is. The game is inside the tower so why would it stop me getting in? Force me to hunt around for something that could be anything , anywhere.

Regarding the thorns, as you say, the item to get you pass them could literally be anywhere so I'm sure you will kick yourself at how simple and logical it is to overcome them. I'm no puzzle expert but, when it comes to real world physics and environmental simulation, just following common sense along with a little experimentation got me through Zelda. 

Same with the cooking.  I had no idea that there is a book in a hut that explains making cold resistant meals as, for me, the cooking was simple experimentation. The whole of a players progress in the game absolutely does not hang on finding the hut but, ignoring that specific book, I am pretty sure that cooking hints are dispensed by numerous NPC characters scattered through the world.

It's a shame that your frustrations prevent you from connecting with the game as it is certainly a contender for best game ever and that is coming from someone who had only really played one Zelda before and who usually hates open world games.

• Upvote 2

Bayonetta 1 & 2 looks like they’re going on this list for me. 

I tried and didn’t get on with B1 back on the ps3. Thought maybe it’s me as people rave about it. 

Its still a bit shit. 

I really am not sure why people love it so much. 

• Upvote 1