rllmuk
revlob

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Enjoying World of Light now after initially being very unsure. It’s a great way to exploit the massive variety in the game. Smash is a box of toys. The fighters are figures that you play with in pretend fights. Now the figures are dressed up as spirits!

I was wondering about the whole ‘spirit type advantage’ thing. Came across this, which explains how all the stats work. I tend to go in with an underpowered primary, with my team about 1000-2000 points below the spirit.

I should have checked this thread last night, I'd have joined in on the lobby action. I was playing against the online masses and am only just managing to keep my win rate at about 50%. I need so much more practise! At the minute I'm still struggling against basic online strats, like Samus camping from the back of the stage with missiles and charge shots who then retreats to the other side of the stage when I get close.

There was very little online lag though and all the games were 1v1 so the update is a success.

Really enjoying this now having the odd go on Classic Mode, doing the unlocks but it's slow for me to get out of the Capcom / SNK traditional fighting game mindset. Starting to incorporate more throws, blocks and getting a feel for the special moves.

So when is it you tend to go for a Smash attack? Mostly when the their meter is over 100% or can you be more opportune? I'm sure I was fighting sonic and they recovered from what was a Smash attack where the screen zooms in like a Super, but looked like they could cancel out of it.

9 minutes ago, merrychan said:

Really enjoying this now having the odd go on Classic Mode, doing the unlocks but it's slow for me to get out of the Capcom / SNK traditional fighting game mindset. Starting to incorporate more throws, blocks and getting a feel for the special moves.

So when is it you tend to go for a Smash attack? Mostly when the their meter is over 100% or can you be more opportune? I'm sure I was fighting sonic and they recovered from what was a Smash attack where the screen zooms in like a Super, but looked like they could cancel out of it.

Depends on the character really. I'm throwing in plenty of smash attacks with Little Mac as part of his regular move set because the start up and recovery are so fast. That's not the case with, say, Ganondorf. I might be doing it wrong but I've found smash attacks generally very useful to build %, not just as finishers. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, merrychan said:

I Smash whenever a good opportunity presents itself. Meaning, when I can miss without being punished. Make it all about the maths, if you'll gain more % than they will, then there's no reason not to. It might turn the battle in your favour, and you might get lucky and knock them right out anyway.

• Upvote 1

@Fallows That was great fun. Definitely will be up for more of that in the near future. Some good Ken v Bayo but I was on the edge of my seat for your Bowser v my Little Mac. Proper slugfest! Hope we can get a few more in next time too. Cheers. 

• Upvote 2

I'd pay good money for a full blown Pokemon adventure style game with this fighting engine. 

Anyway, this is just so good. Having so much fun without needing to go online at all. I still feel I have barely scratched the surface, despite 8 hours in World Of Light alone. I am pretty set on Pikachu, but feel I should try some other characters, even if just to learn the differences. But that can come later I suppose. 

• Upvote 1

The more I play, the more I can't make up my mind who I would consider my main. It was originally Lucario, then turned into being Samus. Turns out that I also really like using Young Link and Marth, too. Making sure I dabble in as many of them as I can to make sure I at least try different styles.

Looking forward to unlocking Cloud whenever that may be, as I hear he's rather handy.

Won a bunch of matches in a row with Richter online, so I guess he's my main now. I seem to have a knack for holy watering chumps from a nice vantage point and then dropping down to give 'em a good pummeling.

I've tried in every Smash game and I still can't figure out how to play as Samus, though. I think I'm even worse than usual with her in this one.

7 hours ago, merrychan said:

Love to get in on this at some stage but I need to play loads more single player first.

Honestly, no need. I've barely played any previous game in the series and don't really know what I'm doing but it's still brilliant fun online and moreso in a lobby with folks on here. 

Too bad setting up a lobby requires staring at an empty room for up to 20 minutes hoping someone from a forum sees your post and joins.

It'd be so much easier if you could just invite people to your game.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Too bad setting up a lobby requires staring at an empty room for up to 20 minutes hoping someone from a forum sees your post and joins.

It'd be so much easier if you could just invite people to your game.

We could fix this by scheduling something, couldn't we? Say 8pm on a certain day of the week - I'd be keen.

Also (World of Light Galeen spoilers):

I finally defeated Galeen and there's a whole second board! This game has an outrageous amount of content

• Upvote 1

It’s pretty poor that there’s no way to invite friends to play online, even though the app. Yeah, a regular time could work. Any night except Tuesday (GT Sport night). Christ, state of my social life!

I would agree that playing online or against real people will teach the game better than playing the CPU, once you’ve got the absolute basics down.

I'm available most nights. I can just notify the thread when I create a lobby but then I'm sat waiting for a game for up to thirty minutes.

Even trying to play in a random public arena with randoms is terrible. I just had one round over the course of an hour during my boy's nap. Now he's awake again for another six hours.

The whole system is absolute stress-inducing garbage.

• Empathy 1

Very often I shut the game after a decent session and see that half a dozen people on my friends list are playing it. As you say, it's a post and wait scenario, with no guarantee that anyone will even see the post if they're playing!

I think aside from the casual 'hey anyone about for a bit?', a regular slot would be our best bet. I really enjoyed the couple of ARMS nights we had but I'd just slightly burned out on the game by that point. I reckon a weekly fixed lobby would do pretty well given how fresh the game is, like the GT Sport one as mentioned.

Might start a separate thread for it.

@Fallows why not just use quickplay? I too was creating lobbies to guarantee 1vs1 at first but since the patch i’ve done a ton of quickplay and it’s been 1vs1 every time with decent matchmaking and mostly acceptable lag.

I like what they’ve done with having per character GSP. Makes it less scary to try out new characters online.

• Upvote 1

Haven't settled on a main yet (Still have loads to unlock mind) 

On Original Smash Bros I mainly used Mario, Link or Pikachu. 

Melee was Fox, Captain Falcon and a bit of Pikachu/Link 

Didn't play Brawl or 3DS one enough to nail down a main but Ike was a favourite

So far I've been doing best as Donkey Kong or Falcon. But have just unlocked and have liked using Little Mac, Ike and Ryu. 

I've used Captain Falcon since 64 and I'm pretty happy with him in this so far so content to stick. I've not ventured outside of World of Light (which is obnoxiously long) yet other than one short set against an inexperienced friend so I'll see how I cope against proper players soon.