Keyboard Koala

Luigi's Mansion - 3DS version

Luigi's_Mansion_Logo.png

top__id1520435699_343178.jpg

In Luigi's Mansion, the main story is played out over four stages, with players able to also access a training room and a gallery at the laboratory of Professor E. Gadd between stages. In each stage, players control Luigi as he explores the mansion's rooms and hunts down the ghosts that lay within them, acquiring keys to get through locked doors and eventually dealing with a boss ghost hidden at the end of the stage, with more rooms becoming accessible as each stage is completed. To assist him in his task, Luigi uses a flashlight and two inventions supplied by E. Gadd - the Poltergust 3000, a specially modified, high powered vacuum cleaner; and the Game Boy Horror, a parody of Nintendo's Game Boy Color.

Luigi's Mansion was originally released as a Gamecube launch game back in 2001 developed and published by Nintendo. It is the first title in the franchise in which Luigi is the main character, instead of Mario, with players controlling him as he explores the titular mansion, searching for Mario and dealing with ghosts that lie within its rooms by capturing them.

Screenshots:

3DS_LuigisMansion_ND0308_SCRN_04_bmp_jpg

3DS_LuigisMansion_ND0308_SCRN_02_bmp_jpg

3DS_LuigisMansion_ND0308_SCRN_08_bmp_jpg

3DS_LuigisMansion_ND0308_SCRN_06_bmp_jpg

Debut (Japanese) trailer:

Latest trailer:

No specific release date was announced, as only a 2018 release window was given.

C5nEKxi.png

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

Surely they’ll just get NLG to re-implement the original game in the LM2 engine they already have?

The first thought that crossed my mind when I heard the news. Alas.

Still, if they just stick to the cube original, it should still be ace. Unless they cram it full of unnecessary filler like they did with the sequel.

• Upvote 1

Luigi's Mansion really needs two 3D sticks to make it work which is why I didn't get along with the LM2 and the nub in the n3DS isn't as good.

There's no pleasing some people. I still use my 3DS daily, and unless NLG fuck it up, I'm looking forward to this one. This way,

Myamoto's original idea of having Luigi's Mansion in 3D is finally realized. Seventeen (!!) years after the 'cube original. Damn I'm getting old...

• Upvote 8

Looking at the footage again really makes me want to play that amazing game once more.

One of my all-time favourite gamecube games, and it looks like it'll be a pretty straight port of the original. Really nice they're doing this, and it makes me wish for even more 'cube ports on the go. But as 2018 supposedly is the year the 3DS is getting its last releases, I think it'll be just the one.

I was never terribly keen on Luigi's Mansion. It looked lovely at but I was so disappointed in the lack of real interaction with the environments at the time; sucking up curtains was nice but it was mostly just rattling a few coins out of chests of drawers. Very shirt too which was a bit of a sting when I'd imported the console (luckily Super Monkey Ball more than made up for ot).

I probably wouldn't pay to play it again with worse visuals. I did enjoy the arcade version though.

• Empathy 1

I’m really weirded out that Nintendo are converting Luigi’s Mansion to the 3DS, after the sequel, and certainly so late in the system’s life! (Not that I don’t welcome it, as I like Luigi’s Mansion, and it’ll be great seeing it in 3D as intended from day one.)

Luigi Mansion 3 will come to the switch - kinda makes sense to release the first game on the 3ds but a bit weird it didn't come before the sequel for the system.

5 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

(As an aside, I find it telling that Nintendo are happy about remaking Luigi’s Mansion, but not the main Mario series title for the GameCube, Super Mario Sunshine!)

The games that are "remaking" are a much smaller scope than stuff like Mario Sunshine. That game ideally needs to be completely rebuilt from scratch and even though, could do with a lot of fixes later in the game.

Nice that they are putting it on 3DS but I'm happy enough with the GameCube version. Part of the appeal to me with the GameCube version is the graphics, it's one of the first games I ever played where I was taken in by the sheer amount of graphical detail on display, I just love the animations for when Luigi interacts with a locked door for example.

• Upvote 1

On 08/03/2018 at 23:28, Alex W. said:

Surely they’ll just get NLG to re-implement the original game in the LM2 engine they already have?

And they're not. 

At the time, many assumed that Next Level Games was leading the project since it looks to be using the same engine as Luigi’s Mansion 2. But apparently the 3DS version is being handled by Grezzo.

Has Nintendo finally ditched NLG?

It was revealed earlier today that Luigi's Mansion for the 3DS will support amiibo.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Keyboard Koala said:

And they're not. 

At the time, many assumed that Next Level Games was leading the project since it looks to be using the same engine as Luigi’s Mansion 2.

But apparently the 3DS version is being handled by Grezzo.

Has Nintendo finally ditched NLG?

It was revealed earlier today that Luigi's Mansion for the 3DS will support amiibo.

or NLG are working on Luigi Mansion 3 for the Switch and want to farm out a port to another company.

• Empathy 2

On 08/03/2018 at 16:40, Keyboard Koala said:

There's no pleasing some people

To be fair, if they've enticed anyone over from the usual grimdark affair, it would be nice if the Switch were utilized for things like this. I don't think I want to get a 3DS as well. I just bought a perfectly good Nintendo tablet.

2 minutes ago, Sumire said:

Does anyone know if this will be in 3D?

With a title like 'Luigi's Mansion 3D' one would certainly hope so.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Fallows said:

With a title like 'Luigi's Mansion 3D' one would certainly hope so.

Oh, right, I must have missed the bit in the game title were it said 3D.