kerraig UK

Battlefield V - November 20th

Looks and sounds wonderful but it's so unforgiving for newcomers. I have not one fucking idea about what I'm doing. Hopefully the campaign mode will introduce me to the mechanics properly.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Looks and sounds wonderful but it's so unforgiving for newcomers. I have not one fucking idea about what I'm doing.

Step 1: Point your gun at people you don’t like.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Step 1: Point your gun at people you don’t like.

Oh yeah I've shot a few people but the game isn't your common run and gun deathmatch. 

I like the new approach but agree that it really needs a squad to work together and communicate. I didn't get into the commo rose enough to find out whether you can do this without voice. I called out for ammo and meds, and asked for orders without too much response, but it feels like more than ever it needs a squad using voice to co-ordinate.

It felt good though - guns feel powerful with the lower TTK and I getting rid of the arrows over the head is a big improvement IMO. I much, much prefer to spot enemies naturally in the environment than looking out for hud elements, and on the flipside it helps you stay alive for longer and be more sneaky.

I do miss the semi-automatic and bolt action rifles that were more prevalent in BF1. I was disappointed that three classes had full auto weapons by default and the recon couldn't remove his scope (although clearly you'll be able to once you 'unlock' iron sights).

56 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

@Luseth there were woman who fought in WW2 though.

Yeah on home turf i.e. the anti aircraft guns and things like that.  Were there any fighting at the frontlines? (I genuinely don't know before someone feels the need to neg me because they think i'm anti women in battlefield games :lol: - referencing my previous post that was negged)

For all the talk of this being terrible for solo players I did weirdly well in the first match I played. Joined halfway through, got top ten and positive KDR. Normally I'd be about 40 hours into a Battlefield game before I started having games like that :lol:

Personally I've found every game since Bad Company progressively less fun but this immediately felt better than BF1 to me. I'll have to play a bit more to decide if that's enough though, there's so much stuff coming out around the end of the year.

Not keen on the change to suppression at all, for me that was part of what made Battlefield Battlefield and support will probably feel like a bit of a weird class to play now. I like the spotting change in theory, it should make snipers more useful to the team rather than feeling like they're off playing their own private game somewhere.

BF1 might as well have been a steampunk game with half the no, no, you see someone scribbled this prototype on a piece of paper once bullshit in it. I'm surprised they didn’t end up sticking helicopters in with the excuse that Leonardo DaVinci drew one on some parchment. Why women soldiers is suddenly a massive step too far is beyond me.

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

No-one else finds dying in this to be an absolute drag though? The three-step queueing process to get back into the action is uuuuuuuuuggghhhhhh...

It does but I don't think there's an easy fix. If you play medic a lot you know how irritating it is when you go to revive someone and they quit out just as you get there for you to get shot....

@Harsin I think the general uproar over women being in the game, or at least for me is EA doing this to basically try and get some positive media attention. Oooh look at us, we have made a politically correct game and we are going to shove it in your faces. You can have female characters and they are on the case artwork, on our posters and all our trailers. To me it's all a big publicity stunt (I mean look at how much media attention they got when it was announced), when the game comes out I guarantee it will be on bbc news for having female characters which means more exposure and ultimately more sales when in actual fact it's their way of trying to get some good publicity after the scandal with loot boxes with shadow of war / star wars battlefront 2 . It's the motives and reasons EA are doing it that stink and not the idea / concept.

2 minutes ago, Luseth said:

It does but I don't think there's an easy fix. If you play medic a lot you know how irritating it is when you go to revive someone and they quit out just as you get there for you to get shot....

@Harsin I think the general uproar over women being in the game, or at least for me is EA doing this to basically try and get some positive media attention. Oooh look at us, we have made a politically correct game and we are going to shove it in your faces. You can have female characters and they are on the case artwork, on our posters and all our trailers. To me it's all a big publicity stunt (I mean look at how much media attention they got when it was announced), when the game comes out I guarantee it will be on bbc news for having female characters which means more exposure and ultimately more sales when in actual fact it's their way of trying to get some good publicity after the scandal with loot boxes with shadow of war / star wars battlefront 2 . It's the motives and reasons EA are doing it that stink and not the idea / concept.

An easy-ish fix would be to let you crawl around and maybe spot whilst DBNO. It's crazy that you can't shoot a downed enemy outright so they have no option for heal.

7 minutes ago, Luseth said:

So far, in 3 posts, you've argued:

- women in a WW2 game aren't realistic

- EA are just doing politically correct realism

- lol you don't actually know if women fought in frontline roles lol don't neg me

- EA having women in a videogame is a corporate decision designed to gain goodwill after they got slammed for micro transactions and loot boxes

I...I don't think you're putting your argument across very well. 

• Upvote 6

35 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

No-one else finds dying in this to be an absolute drag though? The three-step queueing process to get back into the action is uuuuuuuuuggghhhhhh...

It's terrible and I wish that at the very least I wouldn't have to hold my bloody mousebutton to die faster. Hated it in BF1 and it's annoying to see that they haven't fixed that. 

• Upvote 2

I don't mind the bleedout mechanic, its pretty fast if you speed it up and you get info on the enemy position. I think you should be able to crawl slowly though, like in Dead by Daylight. But then people would probably ask for the ability to finish people off. Anyway if you compare respawn timers to a lot of other multiplayer games its still short even with the bleedout.

I've been really enjoying this, my first Battlefield since Bad Company. Graphically I expected a bit more but with 64 players and destructible scenery I can't complain. Audio is good with earphones, especially when bullets are flying around it does feel like you're in a combat zone and you feel appropriately disorientated. But the sound hasn't impressed me as much as their previous games.

I haven't found teamwork to be too much of a problem. Going solo you do get some dummies but I've been teamed up with plenty of good players and obvious veterans as well. I still don't know how to do spotting, or call for supplies etc but got by alright. I did team up with some friends for some games and it was brilliant, but solo is ok. Operations though does suffer if you are solo, coordinating attacks and securing objectives when attacking can be really hard.

Menus and Hud could do with some work, menus are fiddly and Hue can make it hard to tell friend from foe outside of your squad, the mini map isn't prominent enough and its too hard to see injured/dying teammates especially when they are at your feet. It needs a grenade style icon indicator to show you dying teammates imo.

Gameplay is pretty great, I like the time to kill, it gives you just enough time to react usually. The new battlefield cover/dive mechanics are ace and it feels very ww2 sprinting and diving to cover, zigzagging to avoid incoming fire. Staying in the open is death. You feel vulnerable and flanks are rewarding. It feels much less deathmatchy than earlier battlefields and less instadeaths. The low vehicle count works too, they are a big threat but can be worked around. I havent even seenm how to get planes or the v2 bombs but they don't dominate the game like earlier instalments. I really like the limited health and ammo, the balance seems just right and you can always pick up enemy weapons. It's good to feel useful as a supply dude or medic and failing that you have to play strategically with the resupply crates in mind.

I really like Rotterdam, its simple at first but once you learn it there's tons of flanking routes, buildings and alleys as well as bridges and canals to give variety. The points are memorable and I've had loads of set piece moments on that map. The snow map is fun around the wrecked buildings but not a fan of the train area, which is corridors of slaughter and half the team sniping from the hills. I noticed the maps are far smaller than earlier Battlefield games but this is a good thing, no more running for minutes just to get into the action or getting snipped across the map or bombed before you can do anything.

Overall I'd be happy to dive into this Battlefield, it feels more exciting and has a better flow than recent entries. Nothing groundbreaking though and Conquest is still the best mode. Who cares about a Battle Royale mode? Btw if anyone wants to team up on PS4 this weekend, my PSN is Jigsawn.

Ps Yes it has some bad bugs. Took ages to get a friend invitie party working including multiple crashes. There's also a horrible bug where when you die you don't respawn and are trapped in the map overview, though your teammates can see your character model in game. The only option is to quit the game, during which time the server can fill up. But this is Beta so gotta take the rough with the smooth.

Pps The sights really are shit. The optic is so bad you literally can't see what youre shooting at due to its opacity and massive yellow target. Stupid.

Anybody end up swapping weapons with teammates after reviving them? Not sure if it's a bug or because swap kit is on the same button. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SM47 said:

Anybody end up swapping weapons with teammates after reviving them? Not sure if it's a bug or because swap kit is on the same button. 

Yes, this has happened a few times I assumed it was due to a failed revive attempt or continuing to hold the revive button down after they're up, and the interaction moving straight on to grabbing a nearby downed weapon. As you say, the button is the same.

Played for another hour or so: I'm out.

Loved Battlefield 4. Thought BF1 was... ok. It had better maps than the beta ones on offer here.

I think the core problem with this is that the tech isn't ready for what DICE are trying to do and the play experience is hampered as a result. Everything feels unresponsive, there are glitches everywhere, the new team mechanics make it infuriating to play solo. Encountered a couple of bugs/odd gameplay choices: the norway map is full of inclines your soldier gets stuck on, and if you spawn as a plane gunner and eject you don't auto chute. In fact I couldn't figure out how to deploy a chute and died both times I did it. Cue another 20 second wait. Had a sniper scope bug where the scope disappeared off the top of the screen and I couldn't tell where my crosshair was: dead again.

Very pleased I got the chance to try this before release. I think I had more fun with the COD WWII beta, and definitely BO4, and I had a quick game of Siege to bathe the crud away and it's like night and day. Siege is responsive, 60fps, tactical. Everything works.

Anyway if you compare respawn timers to a lot of other multiplayer games its still short even with the bleedout.

It's not, but other games have longer TTK, less frequent deaths or smaller maps. It doesn't take 20 seconds or so of waiting around to get back into the action in COD.

I play a lot of multiplayer fps' - probably tried all of them - I'm curious which you think have a longer respawn time from TTK to getting back into combat area. I can't think of any that are implemented as badly as this.

• Downvote 1

You do realise this is a beta and not a demo? There will be bgus and glitches...

And battlefields never had an auto chute has it? So why would you expect it on this one?

16 minutes ago, Luseth said:

You do realise this is a beta and not a demo? There will be bgus and glitches...

And battlefields never had an auto chute has it? So why would you expect it on this one?

It does have autochute when you deploy from a plane. But not when you choose gunner>deploy from plane.

Far from the worst of it’s issues.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

It's not, but other games have longer TTK, less frequent deaths or smaller maps. It doesn't take 20 seconds or so of waiting around to get back into the action in COD.

I play a lot of multiplayer fps' - probably tried all of them - I'm curious which you think have a longer respawn time from TTK to getting back into combat area. I can't think of any that are implemented as badly as this.

Maybe it's just my perception. In stuff like COD the respawn is still about 10 seconds but TTK is much faster. I find I die less in Battlefield and I guess the ability to look around and try to get revived gives me something to do and gives me hope for a resurrect.

Mind you I think that Operations either has a longer respawn timer or it just takes longer to get back into the action. In Conquest I've found it fine but in Operations, especially on attack I did have some definitely 20 secs respawns where I had to bleed out, then spawn in a plane and wait for that to get in position, and finally chute down and find enemies. That did feel too long. Also in Operations you tend to die a lot quicker so I think they should reduce respawn timers there at least if you have to chute in. Otherwise I've found it fast, especially if you speed up bleedout and a squadmate is available to spawn on immediately, then it's around 10-13 seconds (repsawn timer is 8 secs but you have bleedout too). Plus because you can spawn on teammates you are usually very close to the action.

Bear in mind I have a background of the older Battlefield games where it took fecking ages to get back into action after death so this seems snappy in comparison. Other games like Overwatch are kinda lengthy too - respawn plus having to walk back to where the action is happening. COD and this new Battlefield (and Destiny) are really good at getting you back in the game faster. But there's still some games where dying really is quite a lengthy affair for the impatient like me.

Because you can spawn on teammates I reckon speeding it up would be too annoying, but I'd like to see a system like you can spawn on a teammate if you wait a bit longer, otherwise you can more quickly spawn at a default respawn point and walk to the action.

2 hours ago, grindmouse said:

It does have autochute when you deploy from a plane. But not when you choose gunner>deploy from plane.

Far from the worst of it’s issues.

Fair enough :)

3 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Played for another hour or so: I'm out.

Loved Battlefield 4. Thought BF1 was... ok. It had better maps than the beta ones on offer here.

I think the core problem with this is that the tech isn't ready for what DICE are trying to do and the play experience is hampered as a result. Everything feels unresponsive, there are glitches everywhere, the new team mechanics make it infuriating to play solo. Encountered a couple of bugs/odd gameplay choices: the norway map is full of inclines your soldier gets stuck on, and if you spawn as a plane gunner and eject you don't auto chute. In fact I couldn't figure out how to deploy a chute and died both times I did it. Cue another 20 second wait. Had a sniper scope bug where the scope disappeared off the top of the screen and I couldn't tell where my crosshair was: dead again.

Very pleased I got the chance to try this before release. I think I had more fun with the COD WWII beta, and definitely BO4, and I had a quick game of Siege to bathe the crud away and it's like night and day. Siege is responsive, 60fps, tactical. Everything works.

Because it's a full game that's been out for years rather than a beta? Most of your criticisms are just gameplay niggles or bugs that will undoubtedly be fixed. That's the whole point of a beta isn't it? Apart from the solo thing, it's a competitive multiplayer team based shooter. It's all about playing with pals. 

Had another go, this time on PC. Same map, the city one, same mode, conquest.

It is not a bad game, I really like the gunplay, faster and much more accurate. I have always hated the random bullet deviation system, if I'm able to aim at a target I should hit that target.

My biggest problem so far is that there is nothing new, I think they have played it way too safe gameplay wise. It's the same old conquest / rush mechanics only reshuffled and renamed a bit. I also think that stuff that makes Battlefield, Battlefield, have been dialed back way too much. There is very little destruction on the city map, there are almost no vehicles and overall very little feeling of war.

My dream game is still Battlefield goes Planetside 2. That would be one epic game.

Played 90 mins last night and really enjoyed it. I found BF1 quite hard, didn’t play it extensively but even we we played as a squad we never felt in control and i simply died a lot. 

V felt a little faster and a lot smoother. ( maybe that’s moving from an S to an X also ) and graphically it’s so crisp!

gameplay I enjoyed. Holding a flag and building the defensive walls is really enjoyable! You can hold a flag from assault until a big tank blows the sandbags down, pure Battlefield moments!

the best feature by far is that everyone can revieve. Medics do it faster but it’s great for surviving an assault or a foray into enemy lines if everyone can revive each other. 

987F86E3-DF0C-43ED-BD47-B076547784C0.jpeg

Played some more yesterday evening and it's pretty much unplayable in its current state (for me). Lots of issues with partying up and the respawn bug has it so you have to restart your entire game and pray you're still able to join back into your friends' lobby. I've also had a bug where it spawned me back in; unable to look around as the mouse was still stuck in a menu for some reason. Audio is also extremely buggy and footsteps/gunfire are almost non-existent. We called in a V1 yesterday and it was the most underwhelming thing ever lol. Hardly any visual effects, a little bass rumble on impact and the entire thing was over in 2 seconds with zero change to the map's infrastructure. Wat. 

Really odd to see how a team with this much experience, and an engine they know from the inside out, struggle with these basic issues. 

• Upvote 1

Interesting in this video that he returns to somewhere he'd been earlier and it's been fortified so he can't use that route anymore:

Is there any way to tweak the contrast/dynamic range on console? Outside in the snow it sears your eyeballs then you go inside and some of the houses are so dark you can see literally nothing but black. It sort of looks like I imagine it might if I had HDR turned on when my TV doesn't support it.

Brightness is obviously going to negatively affect one or the other and I couldn't really see anything else.