This is so damn good! Definitely deserves it's own thread. Hitting 92 on Metacritic so far.

The remnants of human civilization are threatened by gigantic creatures breeding beneath the earth. You must control powerful mechs from the future to hold off this alien threat. Each attempt to save the world presents a new randomly generated challenge in this turn-based strategy game from the makers of FTL.

Key Features:

• Defend the Cities: Civilian buildings power your mechs. Defend them from the Vek and watch your fire!
  • Perfect Your Strategy: All enemy attacks are telegraphed in minimalistic, turn-based combat. Analyze your opponent's attack and come up with the perfect counter every turn.
  • Build the Ultimate Mech: Find powerful new weapons and unique pilots as you battle the Vek infestation across Corporate-Nation islands.
  • Another Chance: Failure is not an option. When you are defeated, send help back through time to save another timeline!

£11.39:

https://www.gog.com/game/into_the_breach
http://store.steampowered.com/app/590380/Into_the_Breach/

(Gog version comes with FTL for free)

I'm having a blast with it; very well designed - I love the idea of sending a mech back T2 style to your next run; stops ocd-induced restarts.

• Upvote 2

Seems like an absolute shoe-in given how it plays.

I'm actually kind of surprised it isnt now you've said it.

Mind you, I wouldnt be surprised if a full run of this took a fair bit longer than a full ftl run. How long were they, couple hours tops?

Finished it on Easy on my second turn so appears far easier than FTL (which I prefer on Easy, for certain), maybe this one is better left at Normal difficulty but I really do like it :)

10 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Bollocks, it's at least as hard as FTL.

21 hours ago, clippa said:

They said it wasn't as hard as FTL but it's still plenty hard. Either that or I'm just shit at the minute. Really enjoying it so far. I nearly managed to do the first continent but made some daffy mistakes.

It definitely isn't as unfair, in that the randomisation in the game won't screw you in the same way as FTL's can. At the same time, that means that you don't really get super-lucky easy runs either, so it works both ways.

I've so far only played a single game on Normal, which was enough for me to unlock the boss (and then die after ignoring him and trying out the third(?) continent). The combat is fast and the way it's set up so you always know what is going to happen in turn gives it a unique feel. Only annoyance so far has been getting a mission with an impossible sub-objective (kill 7 vek, but only 6 spawned before the timer ran out because one of them was due to spawn on a block that was destroyed by an uncontrollable weather effect...), but that was hardly a game-breaker.

I like it a lot!

Hmm, now I think about it I suspect a lot of my ftl runs might have been on easy-mode because I'm a babyman, so perhaps that is it. I'm determined to stick out normal on this though.

I thought I'd found the ftl-equivalent of stealth ship easy mode when I started rocking a squad of 3 Metal Gear Rex -looking badasses. But as with stealth ship runs, they were only ever good when you had total control. As soon as you get given a bad angle....oops, I just friendly-fired half a city block. Sorry! 

I suspect there will be some hilariously broken custom builds once you unlock everything though. Fun times.

• Upvote 1

I can pretty much consistently clear the first world but the 2nd just kills my ass.

I'm guessing I just need more of a focus on killing power, it's cool launching tanks and jetpacking around but it's not actually doing much raw damage.

I think there might be some adaptive difficulty shenanigans going on too as the first world has had a few different spawns to what I saw yesterday.

Yeah, I finished up last night by trying a couple of runs desert first, then the archives, and saw some very different beasties that I wont spoil but are absolute ARSEHOLES.

I think there's a very fine balance to be had between offense and map control though. It feels like managing what the enemy does is probably more important than just fragging stuff. That said, one of the first squad unlocks that're geared toward that feel reaallly weird to use.

Playtesting and balancing this stuff must have been a friggin nightmare.

Playing on normal, cleared the first continent with no issues but got absolutely wrecked on the first Desert mission. Got down to 1 block of power and only survived because the building resisted the next attack. Managed to get a couple back up now so we'll see how it goes.

Edit: Dead.

This is absolutely nails, can't get past the first continent. Feel like a dumb dumb when I skillfully whack all the enemies out the way of my guys only to realise right at the last minute I've made them aim directly at some poor civilians. Happens all the time too.

• Upvote 1

Tried a second campaign and abandoned ship after some idiotic decisions on the second island cost me a good pilot, but thought I'd give another campaign a shot (still on Normal difficulty). First two islands fell easily this time, the third was more of a challenge and I lost a pilot on the way, but shortly thereafter collected some better ones, and my new dream team blasted their way through that and island number 4, before squeaking scraped their way past the final fight.

Very, very satisfying, and I'll have to give hard (and some new squads, as I can suddenly afford a plethora) a go!

Slight downside: it seems to be gone 3 in the morning, somehow.

• Upvote 2

I was eagerly awaiting this and so far, so good. I've had one campaign run so far, made it to the first island boss but couldn't stop him from ruining my power grid. I was doing well until the end - I did all the bonus objectives on every mission, although I did lose two pilots in the process (one poor mech died trapped by goo in a burning forest!).

I like the simplicity of the small grid and the ability to see what your opponents will do next. It reminds me a lot of Dynasty Warrior Tactics, where you could similarly combo your unit's moves to shunt enemies into death cycles. And the simplicity and speed of the animations and very low system requirements is great, very Advance Wars. So far I'm finding it a good balance of having to make difficult choices and sacrifices, as well as very satisfying turns where you pull off the perfect maneuver with just 3 mechs to stifle the attacks of 6 aliens. 

I think they have done a really good job with making the mechanics easy to learn with all the icons and mouseover tips.

The bonus objectives add a lot to it as well - pushing you into ever more tricky decisions. Next run hopefully I'll get to the second island. If you look at the squads screen at the start of the game, like FTL it looks like there's a ton of mech unit types you can unlock. But like FTL, I don't think I'll be satisfied until I beat it on Normal with the default roster first.

I never managed to win on Normal on FTL...

• Empathy 1

That's a good point actually, does anyone NOT do the bonus objectives?

I've sort of slipped into the idea of them being mandatory, which seems like a dangerous mindset. I suppose it's hard to call how important buying upgrades is to campaign success. Even with lots of cash, reactor cores seem like a rare-as-rocking-horse-shit priority resource, even moreso than in ftl.

Had another quick stab after work - completed the Archives, then unlocked the Desert island, cleared that and decided to go for the final mission right away. Just so I can finally beat one of these games. And I did it - it wasn't too bad, I had earned a lot of corporate points, time capsules and upgrades. Power was down to the wire though, I only had 2 bars through all of the final mission.

Learned a lot my second time around. Block enemy spawns wherever possible, with other enemies ideally - but taking a measly 1 damage to your mech is well worth it to block reinforcements most of the time. If power is low go for power missions, and don't be afraid to spend corp. points on power. In the boss battles you can lose huge amounts of power so best to play it safe. I usually chose movement displacement actions over damage - trying to herd enemies into each others attacks and let them do the damage for me.

The game really opens up once you start unlocking upgrades for your mechs. You can change the pilots, buy different equipment and re-allocate upgrades between missions. As soon as you start getting new equipment you can give your mechs two abilities to use in combat instead of just one. That really opens up the possibilities and makes for hard decisions about where to stick your upgrades. Do you give your mech an extra movement point? Upgrade the pilot so you can shoot twice in a turn if you don't move? Increase weapon damage? Add a special ability to an item? 

By the end my punchy mech had a veteran pilot, a rocket punch (hits hard but knocks both you and the enemy back - which can be hard to use as you risk smashing yourself into buildings). It also had an action which reverses enemy attack direction and lots of HP - so I'd send him to sit on enemy spawns and use him to soak up attacks in the front line. My cannon mech did crap damage but had lots of movement and decent hp, so I used him to get into key positions to knock enemies around. My artillery was pretty vanilla the whole game, I did end up giving him smoke barrage at the end. I kept him in the back lines and very rarely used him to damage, just for knocking enemies out of position.

Looking forward to going on with a 3 or 4 island run next. 

Difficulty wise this is wayyyyy easier than FTL on Normal, the RNG feels much less punishing and its down to your own strategy decisions rather than the will of the FTL gods. The fact that you can just plan each turn to your hearts content makes a huge different, plus the ability to reset a turn once per fight is a big help.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

I've sort of slipped into the idea of them being mandatory, which seems like a dangerous mindset. I suppose it's hard to call how important buying upgrades is to campaign success. Even with lots of cash, reactor cores seem like a rare-as-rocking-horse-shit priority resource, even moreso than in ftl.

I guess everyone tries for them. Some are much easier than others. The train is bloody hard to save. I love all the special environment events in each mission. Two runs in and I am still seeing new ones - and I've only done the first two islands. I had a great one where you have to break a dam, but it floods half the map so timing it right is everything.

I bought quite a few cores but time capsules also give you them - and later missions earn you cores as well. I had a pilot which gave a free core or two as well if you used him. So I think there's quite a few ways to get them. I guess later on you get more and more in the later islands.

Got an Easy 2-continent victory under the belt now. Going to keep chipping away at those achievements.

This game is great. I love that there are multiple situations that make you think 'What happens if I do this? Can I do this?' and then you are basically forced to experiment to test your theories. It's a potential trade-off between trying something you haven't done before and keeping that Reset Turn available for something possibly more important.

And as for my 'obvious' tip - don't forget your mechs have a repair function! If you have no moves to do and they need health, repair them. Ended so many turns with not doing that just because I forgot and wondered why the game was complaining that I hadn't taken all of my actions ('Well I guess I'll shoot this mountain then?')

5 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

I will definitely try for them all, but try not to get too hung up if it's looking like a futile exercise.

Woo, got a 4-island win with the default squad! Wasnt too hard once I got over the hump. In retrospect I think maybe this is easier than ftl, but like ftl the difficulty comes from using non-default setups, weird builds. I nearly got a 2-Island win with one of the more novel squads, but died in the final round. Bleh.

I will say I do kinda wish the pacing was split up into slightly smaller more frequent segments. I liked how in ftl you had plenty of chances to make a pitstop to repec your ship, here you get 3 or 4. Which is a shame cuz some of the gear you find is epic.

• Upvote 1

Big FTL fan, bought this the instant it was available (and got sent a free copy of FTL with my key - which I've donated to my daughter...)

Really enjoying it, but haven't yet been able to put the time into it that I'd have liked.  Also finding it pretty tough (well, in truth I think I'm just no good at it yet).  I've made it to the boss on the first island, but only had two power grid bars when I got there and in his first turn he just shredded all the buildings in a row with some multi hit beam attack and it was game over :-)

I can see that direct damage to the Vek isn't always the tactically best move - there is lots of pushing and blocking and absorbing damage to be done in certain circumstances.

The menus show a lot of upgrading and unlocking other mechs can be done - excited that this simplistic looking game has the depth and legs that FTL has!

On my third Normal campaign now, I'm up to the 3rd island and doing really well. The ice island is cool, freezing enemy units is great, but then you have to be very careful not to hit them and unfreeze them. Revisiting other islands in a different order is showing more depth to the game - with new enemy types and missions. The biggest difference in playthroughs so far though is mech equipment - even with the default roster my playstyle has completely changed between runs. My punch mech now has a badass laser which melts enemies in a straight line, and that alone has forced me to think about battles in a whole other way. It seems overpowered until you realise that it will also melt any friendly units or buildings in its path. So then you have to think about herding enemies into its path, another layer to consider.

I don't know if it's just me - but on this run, after finishing the game on the previous attempt, the difficulty seemed a lot harder even on the first island. I was already getting elite enemies in the first few missions. Anyone else seeing this?

I'm also curious - presumably the more islands you try to complete in a run, the harder they will get? So the hardest challenge is to do all islands plus the final mission?

It scales pretty well, but personally I found it tipped in my favour slightly around island 3/4 due to the upgrades I'd shelled out for. Boss island was actually fine.

I struggle to beat the first island a bunch of times after initially beating it on my first run, so you might be right about it giving you an easy ride.

excited that this simplistic looking game has the depth and legs that FTL has!

Depends how you look at it I think. Despite similar looking stuff, I think the mechanics in ftl were probably more complex and varied, with more potential for synergies and emergent gameplay as a result of those mechanics rubbing up against each other in interesting ways, whereas itb throws more varied mission scenarios at you but is otherwise a bit more mechanically pure. A bit closer to the philosophy of doing one thing extremely well.

If ftl was anything to go by though, additional content and/or mods will work wonders with this. One of my favourite ftl mods was basically an endless mode iirc.

• Upvote 1

Oh my g...

I thought it was game-over for sure; 2 grid damage to losing and no way to stop it.

Speant a good ten minutes trying to figure a way to stop this damn wasp on the oposite side of the map - then it hit me: It has one HP and there's one mech that can do the job.

(Small unlocked squad spoiler)

Spoiler

I got the defense mech to pull the enemy into itself dealing that crucial one damage. :lol:

gameovernot.thumb.png.d1e40c540c6d94e2ec4e8f72b37a3aac.png

Sometimes defence really is the best offence.

This could be my Goty! I think once we get good at it the random mech-squad will be the way to go.

• Upvote 1

My first 4 islands Normal run... failed on the last mission :( . Just got overwhelmed, too many enemies in the last room and no good way to combo them together - the reality is that I didn't have enough Power going in, only about 4 bars. 

Part of the reason for my failure was putting smoke all over the place with my Cannon guy (he had a move where you leap over heads whilst dropping smoke), which is great in the turn you use it, but not so good when you can't attack in it!

I've found that if you can buy the little baby tanks always go for it. They give you a vital extra unit to play with, and you can even just use them as sacrifices to block enemy spawns or attacks which would hurt objectives. They come back each mission too.

• Upvote 1