rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
myoozikk

Formula One - 2018 Season

9 minutes ago, mexos said:

I'm just glad Merc are not pulling a second a lap in the race.

I dunno, Lewis did seem about 8 tenths faster than Seb at the end there when he had some clean air after running wide, and Red Bull also looked like they had a lot of pace of Ferarri at the same time. Never heard Seb so muted on the radio after a race win, I think he was a bit worried about their lack of race pace despite the result. Might be wrong though, they might have just been managing both situations.

Just watched Vettel loophole his way to the lead. That’s not racing. I’m not going to watch the rest of this. May or may not return to F1 again.

• Upvote 2

I've always had a soft spot for Grosjean, I think he was unlucky at Lotus which set him back a bit. Maybe now he's in a Ferrari he'll start showing his quality.

3 hours ago, MrPogo said:

Just watched Vettel loophole his way to the lead. That’s not racing. I’m not going to watch the rest of this. May or may not return to F1 again.

Just realised it’s not quite as bad as I’d thought had happened. Being out of F1 practice we were all under the impression he’d still been physically behind Ham and Kimi and managed to get in and out of the pits faster than they’d been allowed to drive along the track, literally overtaking them :facepalm:

Just watching the Ch4 replay. Those new halos seem sort of pointless. They might stop tyres or something large hitting the driver, but anything smaller could easily smack them on the head. 

Pretty boring race. Think Vettel has probably just about deserved the win. 

• Downvote 2
  • Empathy 1

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Just watching the Ch4 replay. Those new halos seem sort of pointless. They might stop tyres or something large hitting the driver, but anything smaller could easily smack them on the head. 

Pretty boring race. Think Vettel has probably just about deserved the win. 

I know you’re a muppet but how does the third quickest deserve the win, he got lucky!?

• Upvote 1

The Sky F1 anti Ferrari brigade, sorry commentary team were in full form today. Hamilton looses the lead and Shouty Croft goes  into overdrive.

Except, he didn't lose the lead, he  retained it.

He said that the virtual safety car shouldn't allow positions to change, well that's exactly what happened,everyone stayed where they were.

Really frustrating listening to the winge on when the coin always inevitably lands the other way, then I have to listen to him gloating at Mercedes genius.

Other than that, Australia is a crap opener, track isn't great, overtaking is limited.

Haas looking decent (except the pit crew / tools), which I like.

McLaren being back up there is positive.

Still get the feeling that Merc is quite a bit quicker, but maybe a little fuel limited and unable to follow.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

57 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

He was fastest, he finished first. It was a composed drive and he looked a class apart once he got into the lead. Once Lewis’ tyres started degrading he had no answer. 

Did you only watch the last 10 laps or something?

He wasn’t the fastest, he overtook under VSC where he gained 10 secs on Lewis with a lucky pit stop - Kimi was faster than him but was unlucky like Lewis with the pit stop. Mercedes have already said they let Lewis down and he was way quicker but they gave him the wrong target lap time to save the engine/gearbox etc while cruising to a win - Ferrari couldn’t live with a 9/10ths Merc on race pace.

Vettell said he was lucky himself if you want to argue about him being wrong too!?

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Except, he didn't lose the lead, he  retained it.

He said that the virtual safety car shouldn't allow positions to change, well that's exactly what happened,everyone stayed where they were.

Eh? How do you figure that? He pitted - was able to go faster in the pit lane - and came out in front. The VSC did not result in positions staying as they were as intended. 

29 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

Eh? How do you figure that? He pitted - was able to go faster in the pit lane - and came out in front. The VSC did not result in positions staying as they were as intended. 

No.  He was in the lead. He took the lead when Hamilton stopped, since he was only around 8 seconds behind him.

He came into the pits in the lead, and left the pits in the lead.

The gain on pitting during VSC is that the pit stop takes the same amount of time as usual, but all of the other cars are going slower to match the section / lap delta.

The pit lane still has a speed limit, which is still slower than being on track. It's the same thing that means VSC gap times go from 5 seconds to 15 seconds, the gap isn't bigger, the cars are just going slower.

The pit lane isn't quicker, the time lost to pit isn't less, the time it takes the car behind, in this case, Hamilton, to catch and overtake is longer.

What you've posted and evidently believed is the crap the Sky commentary team were shovelling, and why I was moaning about them in the first place :)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

6 minutes ago, Freeman said:

No.  He was in the lead. He took the lead when Hamilton stopped, since he was only around 8 seconds behind him.

The gain on pitting during VSC is that the pit stop takes the same amount of time as usual, but all of the other cars are going slower to match the section / lap delta.

The pit lane still has a speed limit, which is still slower than being on track. It's the same thing that means VSC gap times go from 5 seconds to 15 seconds, the gap isn't bigger, the cars are just going slower.

The pit lane isn't quicker, the time lost to pit isn't less, the time it takes the car behind, in this case, Hamilton, to catch and overtake is longer.

What you've posted and evidently believed is the crap the Sky commentary team were shovelling, and why I was moaning about them in the first place :)

Ah yes, I see. Was clearly half asleep this morning - of course that’s right. Makes it more of a traditional safety car luck thing that used to happen a lot more often then I guess. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah it was luck but it's one of the things teams plan for, Mercedes got it wrong, Ferrari got it right the only people complaining about the VSC are Hamilton fans

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I’ve moaned about safety cars many times before when they’ve led to an ‘unfair’ result (/significantly interfered with the race outcome), even if a driver I supported at the time benefited.

Its also more frustrating and has a bigger impact these days when it seems nigh on impossible for cars to follow each other to allow overtaking. 

It feels like there must be a better way to manage these situations. 

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

He was fastest, he finished first. It was a composed drive and he looked a class apart once he got into the lead. Once Lewis’ tyres started degrading he had no answer. 

I love how you only pop up in this thread to troll. 

Vettel in his own words said he was lucky. Unfortunately over taking on that track is almost impossible.

Vettel was third fastest this weekend but got the rub of the green. These things happen and I’m sure it’ll even out over the year. 

• Upvote 1

I’d got the impression Vettel was also allowed to drive faster whilst still out on track and made up more time because he knew he was going in the pits; they have a minimum time to it has to take between A and B, but Vettel went at a faster pace because going in the pits meant he would bypass point B (finish line?) and/or the time spent stopped would mean he’d still be under the average speed if point B was the end of the straight or whatever. Could have misunderstood that though.

54 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Yeah you’re wrong, Vettel went much faster on his inlap than Lewis could because he was stationary before the next time zone. It’s pretty basic maths unless you think being 8 seconds ahead allowed Vettel to get in the pits and out in 7 seconds?

33 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

I love how you only pop up in this thread to troll. 

Vettel in his own words said he was lucky. Unfortunately over taking on that track is almost impossible.

Vettel was third fastest this weekend but got the rub of the green. These things happen and I’m sure it’ll even out over the year. 

I just thought that with the incredible car which Hamilton has he should’ve built up a larger lead than he did. 

Vettel did brilliantly to put himself in a position to take advantage of any luck thrown his way. 

Why didn't they all just go down the pit lane every lap under the VSC if it was so much quicker?

Terrible race overall though, don't think I'm going to bother watching much of this season.

1 hour ago, Weavus said:

Why didn't they all just go down the pit lane every lap under the VSC if it was so much quicker?

Terrible race overall though, don't think I'm going to bother watching much of this season.

It must also require the slower pitlane speed and three seconds odd of stopping time to counteract the extra speed whilst out on track, so is only advantageous if you actually need to stop. Ferrari swiftly calculated he could do 180mph on track before slowing to 40mph in the pitlane and thus maintain the 60mph average required, whilst Hamilton had to stick to a steady 60 (or whatever the times and speed were!). So it can gain you a free pit stop if you have clear air in front of you (of course you can’t actually overtake on track under the VSC) but isn’t actually faster than staying on track if you don’t need to stop!

Or alternatively it could still be slower than staying out on track, but only lose you say 5 seconds compared to the field if you pit under the VSC rather than 20 in full speed racing.

Is anyone else suffering the disappointment of using Freesat?

Channel 4 removed 4HD from Freesat at the end of February and F1 looks utter bobbins in SD. It's spoiling my enjoyment of watching almost as much as the lack of overtaking does.

1 hour ago, Agent L said:

Is anyone else suffering the disappointment of using Freesat?

Channel 4 removed 4HD from Freesat at the end of February and F1 looks utter bobbins in SD. It's spoiling my enjoyment of watching almost as much as the lack of overtaking does.

I download it to watch on the train in the All 4 app and the quality is awful there as well. I’m downloading it, at least let me get a 720p video!

And so on to the prediction game. Being the massive Ferrari fan that I am and after last year despite expecting Lewis to own it this weekend I took a cheeky punt on Seb for the win. That worked out quite well for me! :lol:

Player			AU  Total
------			---------
Jon            		34     34
Mexos          		26     26
Bushtopher     		25     25
GRC84          		25     25
SeanR          		21     21
JPR            		21     21
Ilpostino      		16     16
Fragglerock    		16     16
Wev            		16     16
Sidewaysbob    		16     16
Tarquini       		15     15
Dudley         		14     14
SharkyOB       		13     13
Myoozikk       		13     13
Baring         		13     13
PK2018         		12     12
MrPogo         		12     12
Charles        		12     12

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

I download it to watch on the train in the All 4 app and the quality is awful there as well. I’m downloading it, at least let me get a 720p video!

And so on to the prediction game. Being the massive Ferrari fan that I am and after last year despite expecting Lewis to own it this weekend I took a cheeky punt on Seb for the win. That worked out quite well for me! :lol:

Player			AU  Total
------			---------
Jon            		34     34
Mexos          		26     26
Bushtopher     		25     25
GRC84          		25     25
SeanR          		21     21
JPR            		21     21
Ilpostino      		16     16
Fragglerock    		16     16
Wev            		16     16
Sidewaysbob    		16     16
Tarquini       		15     15
Dudley         		14     14
SharkyOB       		13     13
Myoozikk       		13     13
Baring         		13     13
PK2018         		12     12
MrPogo         		12     12
Charles        		12     12

I cry shenanigans

15 minutes ago, wev said:

I cry shenanigans

Dont worry, I’m sure my tinkering will scupper me going forward. I got lucky with a couple of correctly placed drivers in the bottom half of the top 10 as well.