strider

Help me pick Ten PlayStation games

I've decided to dip my toes into the Playstation waters. I've owned a machine in the past but was never a big fan because I preferred the Saturn.

Lately, though I've found myself wanting to get a few of the games so I thought I'd make a list of ten and try and stick to that, only buying a new one when one has been completed. (Let's see how long that lasts).

Not keen on PAL as I understand most are duff 50hz versions so I'm looking for ideas.

I like Action RPGS, action games, arcade games, arcade racers, lightgun games and shoot-em-ups primarily.

This is what's on my list so far.

Strider 2/Strider (I already own this) Completed

Einhander (I already own this)

Dino Crisis 2 (I already own this)

Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night (have a copy on the way)

Vandal Hearts (have a copy on the way)

Rage Racer (have a copy on the way)

r-type Delta (copy on way)

Metal Gear Solid (copy on way)

gran turismo 2 (copy on way)

Driver (copy on way)

Any ideas and I've love to hear them.

Just now, Camel said:

Silent Bomber
Gunners Heaven

Suzuki Bakahatsu

I like the sound of all those. The last one is the bomb disposal game right?

Front Mission 3, still one of my favourite turn based RPGs and like Castlevania it's easy to miss half of the game.

Deciding on whether to go to the pub at the start of the game decides your faction so you can play it again from the start and end up doing a completely different campaign.

• Upvote 1

Also before we got Fire Emblem in the west we got Vandal Hearts and this is the one that virtually ruined turn based rpgs for me. Why? Because it's the only one I've ever played with a battlefield that changes. I can't find a vid without a voiceover but this level is a case in point where you have to keep moving forwards as the carriages are uncoupled.

• Upvote 5

Isn't Front Mission 3 the same as the DS game?

I do like Strategy RPGs but if I have it already I'll leave that one.

Vandal Hearts looks interesting but I'd imagine it's now expensive.

7 minutes ago, strider said:

Vandal Hearts looks interesting but I'd imagine it's now expensive.

Vandal Hearts isn't expensive. It's a great game.

Resident Evil 2, Parasite Eve, Time Crisis and any game in the Ridge Racer series. Everyone has their own favourite in the series. They're all great.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, strider said:

Completely different game, the DS is an enhanced port of the PlayStation enhanced port of the original Super Famicom game. Front Mission 3 is the 3rd mainline game and has additional gameplay changes and a different setting and characters. Both are very, very good, with maybe the 3rd game being better due to being a sequel so adding more stuff. All 5 mainline games are great TBS games.

• Upvote 3

Final Fantasy Tactics is easily my favourite game on the system.

R-Type Delta for a shmup.

Wipeout 2097 or Wipeout 3 Special Edition.

• Upvote 1

Xenogears and FFVII

In fact, I'm playing Xenogears at the moment and it is still very much one hell of a high quality JRPG. They don't make them anymore like this.

King's Field ;) - clunky as all hell but feels like Knightmare and is the Dark Souls of... wait that doesn't work

Also Bust-A-Groove - it may be a bit simplistic today but I liked the disco fever style they went for :) 

• Upvote 2

Xenogears, Um Jammer Lammy, Silent Bomber, Ridge Racer Type 4 and Rival Schools are 5 great PS1 games that most people tend to overlook in favour of the obvious suspects like Final Fantasy, PaRappa, MGS, GT and Tekken.

What a question! So many classics immediately come to mind, and are covered already.

My shmup recommendations are Gradius Gaiden and Zanac X Zanac.

5 hours ago, strider said:

I like Action RPGS, action games, arcade games, arcade racers, lightgun games and shoot-em-ups primarily.

A-RPG... Alundra springs to mind. Or Vagrant Story?

Action games... Syphon Filter? Third-person shooters before they were cool.

Various Namco arcadey things... Ridge Racer(s). Point Blank series? Bishi-Bashi Special?

Kula World!

• Upvote 2

Seconding forgetting about Rage Racer and getting non-PAL Ridge Racer Type 4, amazing racing game and soundtrack.

I recently discovered PS1 emulation has advanced to the stage where some of them can attempt to perspective-correct textures, which fixes the PS1's signature wobbly textures and texture warping. RRT4 looks amazing with it :wub:

ApplicationFrameHost_2018-02-27_02-52-25.thumb.png.311bec1fdcf0a2925c2d0cd7dfbaf206.png

• Upvote 7

ignore me, i'm stupid

more shmup recommendations - DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou, and Espgaluda.

also frequency and amplitude if you like rhythm action.

Demo 42 (I think? The Metal Gear Solid one, in any case) is well worth picking up if you can find it. It had a collection of Net Yaroze titles on it. 

As for actual games, I think anything I'd suggest has already been mentioned.

1 hour ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

Seconding forgetting about Rage Racer and getting non-PAL Ridge Racer Type 4, amazing racing game and soundtrack.

I recently discovered PS1 emulation has advanced to the stage where some of them can attempt to perspective-correct textures, which fixes the PS1's signature wobbly textures and texture warping. RRT4 looks amazing with it :wub:

ApplicationFrameHost_2018-02-27_02-52-25.thumb.png.311bec1fdcf0a2925c2d0cd7dfbaf206.png

Looks like a namco arcade game. I might have to check that out.