SeanR

Spyro The Dragon Reignited Trilogy

7 hours ago, cohen205 said:

No one gonna admit to picking this up ?

its a fucking delight. If you have any fond memories of the old ps1 spyro games, then you will love this. 

I’ll probably get it at some point. Spark is only second to Crash for me and my family, but I haven’t bothered picking that up yet, either. I think, ideally, I’d play it with my brother and sister, like we played the originals. Except we’re now all adults and getting together for that kind of thing is nigh on impossible. :(

9 hours ago, cohen205 said:

No one gonna admit to picking this up ?

its a fucking delight. If you have any fond memories of the old ps1 spyro games, then you will love this. 

One lovely little touch on the loading screens , when spyro is flying to the next area, you can press all different buttons to make him do different actions. It’s the little things...

I loved the old PS1 "mascot" platformers, like Croc, Spyro and -- yes -- Crash Bandicoot. So I will defo be picking this up some point soon. 

And yes, like fuck I'd bother discussing the game here. The CB Remake thread was bad enough with nothing but "Who play's these games anyway?" wonderful discussion. 

Rllmuk is absolutely not the right demograph for this stuff. 

• Downvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Well I'll discuss it anytime with you kev, cos I love a good platformer. I also loved the Crash remake, and i think this is even better than that. Lets hope Medievel is decent when that is released aswell.

• Upvote 2

We picked this up, mainly for my other half. Looks gorgeous, so bright and colourful.

A nice break from open worlds to just run around collecting gems and burninating the countryside.

Having to download the 2 games is a minor inconvenience if nothing else. Don't let that put anyone off a very fine remaster.

oh, and 3 games for 30 notes.... fucking bargain

I really enjoyed playing this for review. One of the best remakes/masters/whatevers. Still got some annoying levels but that's because they kept so faithfully to the originals. It is just pure fun :) Aside from 100%ing those flying levels... 

14 hours ago, cohen205 said:

Having to download the 2 games is a minor inconvenience if nothing else. Don't let that put anyone off a very fine remaster.

oh, and 3 games for 30 notes.... fucking bargain

Once they have been downloaded, can they ever be downloaded again, by anyone else?

To put it another way, does it render this next to useless as a 2nd-hand game?

1 hour ago, I say said:

Once they have been downloaded, can they ever be downloaded again, by anyone else?

To put it another way, does it render this next to useless as a 2nd-hand game?

Hopefully it’s just a big patch rather than a code redemption.

11 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

Needs Switch version 

It will come the same way Crash did I suspect. Just give it 6 months for the announcement and add the switch tax on and we'll be able to buy it for about £45 2 years after everyone else....

I really want this.  I had it on preorder but I realised I had too much spending this month (Pokemon... and my Xbox Live sub needed renewing) so I should probably wait for payday, and then I thought I may as well go digital for it anyways.

I loved the original Spyro games (and Croc, nice to see that mentioned - remember Jersey Devil as well? That was nails!) so I’m really excited for it.  Crash I was never as fond of, but may revisit...

I picked this up on Wednesday on a whim. I have vague memeories of enjoyignt eh first game but not completing it 100% and I can't actually remember if I played the other two. But the new graphics look interesting so I thought I'd give it a go.

So far I'm enjoying it a lot. Like a lot more then the Crash Trilogy, which is weird cos Crash 3 was one of my favourite games back in the PS1 era. I guess that style of platformer isn't something I'm too fond of anymore? Anyway up to the third worls  world and have 100% every level so far. I like how they;re openb but not so large that it takes ages to get back to an aerea if you die or drop down a level by mistake.  I know the other games are supposed to be harder but I feel I'll be ready for a bit more of a challenge by that point.

Just loving the art design of the new graphics, feels very much like a Disney Animation Studios sort of production (aka more elestic and less solid than a typical Pixar movie). Hell I could hapilly watch a move in this style done in UE4 engine. Lots of character and smooth animation even at the 30FPS limit, which I suppose helps with the animated movie analogy.

I enjoyed Spyro back in the day, but the gameplay didn’t compare with something like Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie. It looked great and was incredibly solid for a PS1 game (arguably better than any other 3D platformer on the console), but the structure was unremarkable: enter a level, collect all of the gems, reach the end. The flying stages mixed things up a bit, and the running gave it a nice sense of pace, but it’s not something I was keen to revisit.

It’s fair to say I wasn’t expecting to pick up this collection, but after the praise it received, and watching a few videos, I bought it on Friday. I must say, it’s delightful. It looks stunning, and controls better than ever. While that structure hasn’t changed much, they’ve created a beautiful world to interact with, and the whole thing has put a huge smile on my face.

I completed the opening world in the first game, but moved on to the sequel fairly quickly as I’d never played it before. After a few stages, the levels seem more inventive, with the orbs giving you extra tasks to complete besides ‘getting to the end’. It isn’t up there with Super Mario Odyssey of course - Spyro’s controls lack the nuance of even the worst 3D Mario - but it’s far better than the mediocre Super Lucky’s Tale and Yooka Laylee. A great game for kids, too.

I’d just like to give a special mention to the audio, because they’ve done a tremendous job. The sound effects are crystal clear, and the generous use of the surround channels places you right inside the environments. Makes a change from the usual ‘NPC is stood here so you can only hear their voice through this single channel’ sound mix you tend to get in games.

• Upvote 1

I completed Spyro 2 100% a few weeks back and started 3...then I got this weird urge to play through all the Killzone games again, and then I got Spider-Man on PS4.

Will have to finish Spyro three before I start on Okami HD which my sister got me though.

I played the first Spyro game as a kid way back when and quite liked it, but never played the others. I got this over the Christmas break and managed to 100% the first game, remembering quite a lot of it surprisingly well. A lovely hit of nostalgia.

Playing 2 I was surprised by some of the changes made but have been still quite enjoying it. Then I came to the second boss last night. I dunno what it was, but I lost to that boss more times than I died to most of the bosses in the Soulsborne series I've played. Genuinely. I died more to that thing than I did the Orphan of Kos. Really. I dunno why, but I just kept dying. The camera didn't help, more than once I got hit by a charge because the camera decided at the moment to go nuts, but most often I got fucked by the laser shots it uses. Sometimes they were the easiest things in the world to dodge. Other times it could lead you surprisingly well and nail you. I ended up eventually making these ridiculous zigzag towards the boss runs to avoid them, but even then I'd still get hit.

This might be the most embarrassing thing I've ever managed in gaming. I struggled more with a boss in a kids game (which I think has an achievement for doing it without being hit) than I have with most of the bosses in notoriously hard games. I don't get it.