RetroArch + Frontend help.

dave7g

I have Retroarch working somewhat properly so now I'm looking to just add a frontend to it. Is there an easy one out there, something that just points to the directory and sorts it out nice and easy. It's for Windows.

Thanks

The easiest one is to use the frontend built into Retroarch. It's pretty nice once it's been set up properly.

Otherwise there's:

Emulation Station (You'll need the latest version of the RetroPie Windows fork as the one on the Emulation Station website is long abandoned).

Phoenix

Launchbox

Phoenix seems nice but pretty limited on what you can display. Was hoping for an option to list games by most played, recently played etc. I was using Emulation Station but it doesn't save settings on exit. I mean every single time I run it, if I want to list recent games I have to go in and do it manually. 

• 7 months later...

Not sure where to put this. It's a new front-end for the PC made by the people who did Coin Ops for the Xbox, and is tied in with a front end called Retro-FR. 

It sounds good - the guy reckons zero setup apart from adding roms. However, it doesn't seem be available yet - or readily available yet. It also only covers a handful of machine but people can add their own packs. Currently seems you can only get it via their Discord page.

9 hours ago, Goose said:

This coinops front end works ridiculously well! Set up an old PC on the TV - 

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

Wow, that looks awesome.  I can’t even get Retroarch to load a Rom on my laptop yet.  Downloaded a massive 60 GB Mame file (0.201) added it to Retroarch but over half the games don’t appear and the ones that do when I run them I just get a blank screen.  Is Coinops a bit easier to set up or am I doing something wrong here?

Is there any way just to grab the updated front end? 

I somehow grabbed a 46gb version last night that oddly removed the C64 but then added the Amiga, megadrive etc. 

Still trying to figure out how to add other stuff or find data packs. There's almost no specific user guides, though a few people say just to follow the same instructions you would with RetroFE.

Would this work well in a cab? I have a cabinet with PC running an old version of MAME which is fine but I really fancy something newer and shiner as I am selecting games via a mini bluetooth keyboard. Would only be for arcade as I have a RetroPie for the rest.

There are a bunch of .bat files in the advanced folder - if you run them you can change the filters from that and if you want back to basics just run the defaults.bat

If you get any joy setting up other systems please let me know as I’d love to merge the 2.5 gold and the 2 packed together as the gold has the likes of Dragons Lair and Space ace as well.

Yes, the .bat files are genius. I have Gold and Packed but trying to move the c64 from one to the other is tedious.

Are there art/video packs available? Just trying to get the art for Uridium from x to y was frustrating.

I can’t figure out how to add games to existing systems - I assume without the art it would just show a name.

Really needs a good user guide. I messed around with RetroFE documents but they seem complicated for their own good. I got it to set up the folder structure but pointing it at the emulator by editing conf files is a pain.

44 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Can I put this on my Raspberry Pi, easily? I don't have a keyboard and mouse to plug into it, so would need to be done remotely or with a 360 pad.

Not sure - the build I have is windows based, but I did read more options would be coming.

Must admit I loved that it was auto configured to work with both sticks for Smash TV.

How big is 2.5 Gold? I grabbed 2.0 packed and it was 46gb!

Gold is about 20gb (has less than the packed verion) It's a great collection but I'm hoping he'll include the analogue steering fix in v3, currently Chase HQ / Ridge Racer etc all have issue with the Xbox One pad, so I reported it in the discord chat and there is a fix that can be included. 

I've not bothered adding any packs as seems more hassle than it's worth hunting down the videos etc. If it's not in there I'm happy to use Retroarch.

Got this downloaded, extracted and running (thank you @Mortis) but having a few teething problems.  I don’t have a 360/XB pad so I’m having to use a 3rd party PS3 wired pad and with the arcade stuff it’s fine but I can’t get any of the console stuff to work.  I tried Diddy Kong Racing and although it ran, nothing I did on the controller would let me press start.  Same with all the others, the emu will work and run the game but the controller does nothing else.  Is there a setup menu so I can change the controller buttons?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...