grindmouse

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

I couldn’t find a topic, but this is well worth a watch. It won 2 Golden Globes, and is available on Amazon Prime over here. It’s a comedy which is very funny and a lavish period drama which scratches that Mad Men itch. It also has a strong female lead performance. It’s one of the best shows I’ve watched lately and at 8 episodes doesn’t drag or outstay it’s welcome.

maisel._CB511924758_.png

It's the late 1950s and Miriam "Midge" Maisel has everything she has ever wanted -- the perfect husband, two kids and an elegant apartment on New York's Upper West Side. Her seemingly idyllic life takes a surprising turn when she discovers a hidden talent she didn't previously know she had -- stand-up comedy. This revelation changes her life forever as she begins a journey that takes her from her comfortable life on the Upper West Side through the cafes and nightclubs of Greenwich Village as she makes her way through the city's comedy industry on a path that could ultimately lead her to a spot on the "Tonight Show" couch. The series was created by Amy Sherman-Palladino ("Gilmore Girls").

I was going to post the trailer but it spoils a lot - best going in without knowing anything beforehand I think.

• Upvote 1

Just finished this yesterday, and didn't binge it or anything. I had some trouble getting into it at first, a lot of the jokes just went way over my head. It grew on me over time though and I'm now genuinely looking forward to season 2 this December!

On episode three on the basis of this thread and I don't really get it. It's slightly charming, and I'm intrigued by the very stagey, stylized feel. But the show itself is droll at best and the actual stand up is just not funny so I struggle to suspend my disbelief. I'll give it another few episodes while I'm on the treadmill I guess.

That's exactly how I felt when I started watching it. I'd say keep going, as I really got into it towards the end of the season, but yes, it takes its time getting there. 

It reminded me massively of Gilmore Girls and then I noticed it's all Amy and Dan Palladino. She has a unique, Preston Sturges way of writing.

Oh definitely. Although the two still have a very distinct "aura". To me it feels like Gilmore Girls is the mainstream version of Amy Palladino, then with the Netflix Revival she got to let out the Amy a lot more already and now this project is her true baby. I love TMMM but I wish that for the GG revival they'd stuck with the old style and not turned it into some crazy magical musical, it really didn't fit at all.

Anyway, the series has now won two Golden Globe Awards (Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy and Best Actress – Musical or Comedy for Brosnahan) in addition to its Emmy Awards.

7 hours ago, Illyria said:

Oh definitely. Although the two still have a very distinct "aura". To me it feels like Gilmore Girls is the mainstream version of Amy Palladino, then with the Netflix Revival she got to let out the Amy a lot more already and now this project is her true baby. I love TMMM but I wish that for the GG revival they'd stuck with the old style and not turned it into some crazy magical musical, it really didn't fit at all.

I don't remember the magical musical stuff. There was an extended cameo to the Bunheads people that I felt didn't fit very well and a weird interjection by the Life or Death Club but that was it.

My current feeling is that Maisel, while excellent, is already stalling for time in a style reminisent of GG - keeping characters that should leave, etc.

I haven’t been as impressed by the second season a couple of eps in.

It seems to have started out the gate on a much lighter tone, whereas I thought the first season worked as a drama, with some social commentary. The second is more like fanciful escapism. When Midge has no flaws and is constantly winning against the odds there’s no tension and it makes her hard to relate to. Hopefully the rest of the season picks up.

20 minutes ago, JPickford said:

The second season is dreadful.  That first episode with the trip toFrance and that stand up gig is one of the worst things I've ever watched.

I sort of agree.

I’m willing to give the rest of the season the benefit of doubt, but given the momentum and character drama of the first season, the sudden gear change and excursion to Paris was jarring to say the least. 

I also think in the long run it would’ve been better if Midge had a genuinely bad gig in the second episode, and then went back  next episode and delivered the monologue against the chauvinist comedians to win the crowd round. Her success in a room that was against her wasn’t believable imo.

Ah,  I'm taking about the gig in the french cross-dressing club. That was just embarrassing.

I think I managed 3 episodes so haven't seen the whole season.

On 08/01/2019 at 08:45, Festoon said:

I don't remember the magical musical stuff. There was an extended cameo to the Bunheads people that I felt didn't fit very well and a weird interjection by the Life or Death Club but that was it.

My current feeling is that Maisel, while excellent, is already stalling for time in a style reminisent of GG - keeping characters that should leave, etc.

There was a never ending musical which I think you meant with the cameo? Then the life and death brigade stuff, as well as the wedding. All of them completely out of tone with the rest of the show. 

I agree about the stalling in Mrs Maisel, there is a bit too much going back and forth that drags shit out unnecessarily.

Otherwise I enjoyed the second season more than the first, I thought it was funnier and more relatable. I've always thought that Midge was too perfect, what little flaws she has do still very much appear in season 2 though, and I guess she is the "marvelous" Mrs Maisel for a reason.

2 minutes ago, Illyria said:

There was a never ending musical which I think you meant with the cameo? Then the life and death brigade stuff, as well as the wedding. All of them completely out of tone with the rest of the show. 

I agree about the stalling in Mrs Maisel, there is a bit too much going back and forth that drags shit out unnecessarily.

Otherwise I enjoyed the second season more than the first, I thought it was funnier and more relatable. I've always thought that Midge was too perfect, what little flaws she has to still very much appear in season 2 though, and I guess she is the "marvelous" Mrs Maisel for a reason.

I get what you mean -  the musical was just too long (a weird attempt at padding mixed with them wanting to pay off Bunheads a bit too, perhaps?) and it would have made far more sense if Kirk had been involved.

I could quite believe the Life of Death Club stuff wasn't a dream sequence. Still can't. Also, I hate them. The wedding stuff I felt was earned as the end of the whole story -  a more cinematic ending for the Luke and Lorelai story.

As for Ms. Maisel, I agree about the character improving but I get chills about the ex-husband hanging around stuff. Christoper Hayden chills.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Ah,  I'm taking about the gig in the french cross-dressing club. That was just embarrassing.

Oh, yeah I totally zoned out for that and left it running in the background. It was silly.

47 minutes ago, JPickford said:

The second season is dreadful.  That first episode with the trip toFrance and that stand up gig is one of the worst things I've ever watched.

It's the worst episode by far though. The show is better when it stays on home turf.

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

As for Ms. Maisel, I agree about the character improving but I get chills about the ex-husband hanging around stuff. Christoper Hayden chills.

Fully agree, it's what annoys me most about the entire show

Spoiler

They made me think that it's finally solved. I really liked the scene with the dance, it shows they are moving on, and then the last episode just undoes all that again. It's stupid.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Illyria said:

To me it feels like Gilmore Girls is the mainstream version of Amy Palladino, then with the Netflix Revival she got to let out the Amy a lot more already and now this project is her true baby.

I also feel GG is the superior effort, btw. It just clicks in a way Maisel doesn't.

I'd agree but I feel like I can't be objective about that. GG is very close to my heart and I've known it for such a long time, it's hard for any new effort to compete. But it definitely took me a lot longer to get into Maisel than it did with GG.

Contrary to people pissing and moaning about season 2, I'm 5 episodes in and unless it shits the bed spectacularly towards the end, it's maintained the standard set by season 1, (which didn't exactly hit the ground running, IMO). 

• Upvote 2

I found the first half of both seasons a bit slow (or weird in the second seasons case).

the final episode of the second season seemed astonishingly odd, whereas the two preceding episodes were as good as anything they’ve produced.

9 minutes ago, John Edward Gammell said:

Tony Shalhoub steals the whole thing for me, (which is saying something, as I adore most of the characters). Abe is a wonderful creation. 

Yeah he's by far the best thing in it.

• Upvote 2

4 eps into season 2 and I definitely think the tone has changed. The support characters are all comic relief now. Unless I’m severely misremembering, the first series was a drama first and the comedy was generally limited to her routines.

The other problem is that Midge always wins and it makes her insufferable. Oh no she can’t win a beauty contest for the 9th year. Who gives a shit? I never want to see another lengthy scene where the family are talking over each other and being unbelievably twee, as a camera ducks and dives around them. 

Finally, at the end of ep4 there’s a hint at conflict to come, but these opening episodes have been self-indulgent, smug and not all that interesting imo.

Midge is always insufferable - thoughtless and unempathetic. I thought it was going to be a plot point she's so weird.

At the same time, the second series doesn't feel as stilted as the first.

Thankfully this picks up again around episode 4-5 with some of the character drama I remember from season one.

Season 2 would’ve had less of a bumpy start if we’d gone straight into the Catskills rather than the odd detour to Europe. I wonder if the Paris sub plot was added later in development to bump the episode quota from 8 to 10.