rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

I picked up Dragon Blaze and Chasm. Dragon Blaze has a modest 20% off, but I’d just added it to my wishlist so it seemed rude not to, and although Chasm received mixed reviews on release, for £7ish I thought it was worth a go.

Reviews for Minecraft Dungeons are starting to come out, getting decent scores so far:

Techradar - 3½/5

Destructoid - 8/10

Gamesradar -3½/5

Ladbible - 8/10

Trustedreviews -  3½/5

Currently sitting at 76 on Metacritic, no specific Switch reviews on their yet.

@bradigor

were you provided a copy of this game prior its release next week, would be interested to hear your views

What surprised me is that it's only 17 quid. Well, on Xbox, not sure about Switch. Can't imagine any extra tax being slung on it. It's straight onto GamePass so that's where I'm going for it.

Is Wonderful 101 digital only? I wasn't getting it at launch anyway but I'm not convinced enough by it generally and would rather have the option to punt it.

13 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

Is Wonderful 101 digital only? I wasn't getting it at launch anyway but I'm not convinced enough by it generally and would rather have the option to punt it.

I think there's supposed to be a physical but the pandemic has delayed it.

1 hour ago, grounded_dreams said:

Reviews for Minecraft Dungeons are starting to come out, getting decent scores so far:

Techradar - 3½/5

Destructoid - 8/10

Gamesradar -3½/5

Ladbible - 8/10

Trustedreviews -  3½/5

Currently sitting at 76 on Metacritic, no specific Switch reviews on their yet.

@bradigor

were you provided a copy of this game prior its release next week, would be interested to hear your views

I wasn't unfortunately. Hoping to play it at some point on Gamepass though. 

• Upvote 1

I thought I read the Sonic games were going on sale this week. Did I miss it? I'm mainly looking to get Mario and Sonic at the Olympics.

Took a punt on Cosmic Star Heroine for £2.19. I have no nostalgia for 16-bit RPG’s (that era passed me by) and I’m not a fan of endless screeds of dialogue. But the (relatively) short playing time and reviews all focusing on the well implemented battle system convinced me to give it a try.

And I'm really enjoying it. The plot and dialogue aren't great but then neither are they terrible and it's reasonably pacy. It's very linear. The lack of a budget is very evident as there's not much stuff and very little choice. This is no Etrian Odyssey with dozens of characters each with a billion different weapon and skill layouts.

But the battle system is very well done and the difficulty level seems to be pitched just right*. It has a really clever idea where if a character loses all their HP, instead of dying and having to be revived, they can end up with negative HP and you have one turn more turn with that character in Desperation mode. This means that they can heal themselves back to positive HP and carry on or get one last attack, which will be extra powerful.

It's a small but important difference. In Battlechasers (which I also recommend on Switch, very enjoyable) if a character gets knocked out then not only can you not use them for what would have been their turn, but you have to spend another characters turn reviving them. So a situation where you're on the back-foot ends up with you being pushed back even further, often leading to a cycle of knock-out/revivals until you lose. It's very hard to come back from.

But this system not only allows you to come back without overly penalising you (as long as you've managed your heal abilities correctly), it allows for some dramatic last gasp heroics. I've had several battles where my sole surviving crew member has been knocked down to their knees only to make one last desperate lunge and ended up victorious. It's exciting and a great example of how one simple idea can add real sparkle to a game.

I don't want to oversell it but for £2.19 I think it's well worth a try. 

Cosmic-Star-Heroine.jpg.8928188f006fe8103d8a150279d28a5f.jpg

Cosmic-Star-Heroine_20170421223709-1024x576.thumb.jpg.a84c14b106165a828c53decc8d2318fa.jpg

CSH_screen11_upscale.png.7d1bb17b995d4e7039ad4aa3d77bd312.png

*I'm playing on the second hardest mode and I've had a fair few battles that I've had to re-try, which the game instantly gives you the option to do, no loading or trudging back to the same point. I've had one battle that took quite a few attempts but you have the option of going back to the main menu and adjusting the difficulty up or down at any time outside of the battle.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, crocked said:

I thought I read the Sonic games were going on sale this week. Did I miss it? I'm mainly looking to get Mario and Sonic at the Olympics.

I think I read they’re on sale in the US eShop, that might be it. 

• Upvote 1

Is there anything good like wii sports available on switch yet?

I wish Nintendo life would hurry up and review realMyst on switch so I know if it’s worth getting or not.

On 21/05/2020 at 18:31, ZOK said:

Yes sorry, I meant to write ‘AS nice to use’, I’m sure it’s perfectly fine, but the tactile nature of the iPhone’s smooth screen is something else.

If you fit a tempered glass screen protector to the Switch, it feels like an iPad/Phone.

16 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Took a punt on Cosmic Star Heroine for £2.19. I have no nostalgia for 16-bit RPG’s (that era passed me by) and I’m not a fan of endless screeds of dialogue. But the (relatively) short playing time and reviews all focusing on the well implemented battle system convinced me to give it a try.

And I'm really enjoying it. The plot and dialogue aren't great but then neither are they terrible and it's reasonably pacy. It's very linear. The lack of a budget is very evident as there's not much stuff and very little choice. This is no Etrian Odyssey with dozens of characters each with a billion different weapon and skill layouts.

But the battle system is very well done and the difficulty level seems to be pitched just right*. It has a really clever idea where if a character loses all their HP, instead of dying and having to be revived, they can end up with negative HP and you have one turn more turn with that character in Desperation mode. This means that they can heal themselves back to positive HP and carry on or get one last attack, which will be extra powerful.

It's a small but important difference. In Battlechasers (which I also recommend on Switch, very enjoyable) if a character gets knocked out then not only can you not use them for what would have been their turn, but you have to spend another characters turn reviving them. So a situation where you're on the back-foot ends up with you being pushed back even further, often leading to a cycle of knock-out/revivals until you lose. It's very hard to come back from.

But this system not only allows you to come back without overly penalising you (as long as you've managed your heal abilities correctly), it allows for some dramatic last gasp heroics. I've had several battles where my sole surviving crew member has been knocked down to their knees only to make one last desperate lunge and ended up victorious. It's exciting and a great example of how one simple idea can add real sparkle to a game.

I don't want to oversell it but for £2.19 I think it's well worth a try. 

Cosmic-Star-Heroine.jpg.8928188f006fe8103d8a150279d28a5f.jpg

Cosmic-Star-Heroine_20170421223709-1024x576.thumb.jpg.a84c14b106165a828c53decc8d2318fa.jpg

CSH_screen11_upscale.png.7d1bb17b995d4e7039ad4aa3d77bd312.png

*I'm playing on the second hardest mode and I've had a fair few battles that I've had to re-try, which the game instantly gives you the option to do, no loading or trudging back to the same point. I've had one battle that took quite a few attempts but you have the option of going back to the main menu and adjusting the difficulty up or down at any time outside of the battle.

Thanks for this post. I'd never heard of it before, but It looks right up my street. 

32 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

If you fit a tempered glass screen protector to the Switch, it feels like an iPad/Phone.

I don’t bother with that nonsense!

3 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I don’t bother with that nonsense!

I only mentioned it because you seemed to say that you prefer the way an iPhone feels. That would get you there.

20 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

I only mentioned it because you seemed to say that you prefer the way an iPhone feels. That would get you there.

I’ve completed What the Golf on the iphone, and I’ve never played anything on the Switch that required touch screen so it’s not a requirement for me personally. 

Mind you, I do own a tempered glass screen that I got in an accessories bundle and it’s been in a drawer for years, maybe I should root it out...

I wouldn’t normally but the switch screen is plastic so could easily scratch. 

I’m not generally bothered about scratches to be honest. I just found it though, it’s an Orzly one that looks pretty simple to use so I’ll have a go anyway.

That was pretty easy, cheers!

• Upvote 3

I have 2 kids with permanent butterfingers so a tempered glass screen protector went on the first day. I’ve had to replace it once already. Doesn’t adversely affect the screen at all in my opinion. 

I've been digging back into Immortal Redneck which is a good amount of fun, except my other half fancied it so bought it on Xbox. This would be fine except the Xbox version is much higher res and runs at 60 frames. Now I has frame envy.

How does Skyrim play compared to the PC version. My PC played it fairly well with an intel 2500k and GeForce 560ti - just trying to gauge whether the Switch would chug in comparison.

I've had a Skyrim itch to scratch after listening to some of its music.

Cheers, think I'll give it a miss. Think my PC version will do it better justice and I really should be thinking twice about spending money needlessly! 

@Stanshall

• Upvote 1

It's much better than the PS360 games in one essential way.  When you go through a door, the loading time is infinitely less than it was.

• Upvote 1

On 24/05/2020 at 00:23, Chooch said:

I wouldn’t normally but the switch screen is plastic so could easily scratch. 

One of the kids left the switch lite on a chair the other day and the puppy got hold of it. The glass screen protector was shattered. God knows what would have happened if it didn’t have the protector on it!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Probably adoption.

Puppy or child, that's your choice.

Can’t I get rid of both? 

I'm not feeling thread darling Valfaris after half an hour to be honest. I was so looking forward to it and thought it would fit nicely after finishing Blazing Chrome and a couple of Mega Men. I'm not calling on anyone to justify it, just disappointed :(