rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Hey! Want a few recommendations? Here's a few games I've played recently that are both pretty cheap, often on sale and are really good:

Axiom Verge: It's Metroid really. But honestly, in a lot of ways, it's better. Don't let the somewhat basic graphics put you off. The weapons and upgrades in this are brilliant - they really turn everything up to 11. And there are so many secret areas, it's a huge game. I haven't quite finished it yet, but my goodness this is fun. Decent music too.

Tesla vs Lovecraft: No-one ever talks about this game, but I love it. A twin-stick shooter where each level is a confined space approximately 5 x 5 screens. You walk around shooting the shit out of Lovecraftian monsters. The game has a wonderful mechanic that makes things so tense - you are constantly running away from monsters trying to avoid getting killed, but at the same time shooting as many as you can and searching for pieces of your mech. When you get all 5 pieces of your mech you upgrade for 20 seconds or so, and then the hunted becomes the hunter - you let rip! Amazing weapons and upgrades, a cracking teleportation mechanic and genuinely fearsome enemies make this a proper white knuckle game. Each level only lasts for 5 or 10 minutes, but I always need to stretch my hands and take a breather at that point because it's to tense.

• Upvote 7

Lots of games seem to launch at £10-£15 on here then crop up for 89p - I just took a punt on that 911 operator/despatch game that is down to 89p, and I got for 40p with the points I had.

Doesn't have to provide much entertainment to justify that price.

4 hours ago, NickC said:

Hey! Want a few recommendations? Here's a few games I've played recently that are both pretty cheap, often on sale and are really good:

Axiom Verge: It's Metroid really. But honestly, in a lot of ways, it's better. Don't let the somewhat basic graphics put you off. The weapons and upgrades in this are brilliant - they really turn everything up to 11. And there are so many secret areas, it's a huge game. I haven't quite finished it yet, but my goodness this is fun. Decent music too.

Tesla vs Lovecraft: No-one ever talks about this game, but I love it. A twin-stick shooter where each level is a confined space approximately 5 x 5 screens. You walk around shooting the shit out of Lovecraftian monsters. The game has a wonderful mechanic that makes things so tense - you are constantly running away from monsters trying to avoid getting killed, but at the same time shooting as many as you can and searching for pieces of your mech. When you get all 5 pieces of your mech you upgrade for 20 seconds or so, and then the hunted becomes the hunter - you let rip! Amazing weapons and upgrades, a cracking teleportation mechanic and genuinely fearsome enemies make this a proper white knuckle game. Each level only lasts for 5 or 10 minutes, but I always need to stretch my hands and take a breather at that point because it's to tense.

Made by the people who made NEON CHROME too - so it has pedigree.

52 minutes ago, watusi said:

So Super Hydorah is on sale, worth a peek at £14?

I think it's excellent. There's a real amazing epic level. 

If you liked Gradius it's a must have imo. 

I should have done more research on Eagle Island before handing over £17. I saw the gorgeous art and heard "Metroidvania", but I missed the "procedurally-generated dungeons" part.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, bradigor said:

Anyone picking up Automachef tomorrow? been intrigued by it since the first trailer. 

looks interesting, get a Human Resource Machine vibe from the trailer

I just had a quick go as was tempted - looks like a lot going on, possibly a bit 'fiddly' to play - I'm guessing its a PC port from the small fonts and icons.

Not forming an opinion from first tutorial level but it doesn't feel 'elegant' in its simplicity like human resource machine.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

I just had a quick go as was tempted - looks like a lot going on, possibly a bit 'fiddly' to play - I'm guessing its a PC port from the small fonts and icons.

Not forming an opinion from first tutorial level but it doesn't feel 'elegant' in its simplicity like human resource machine.

Agreed on it being a bit fiddly, but get used to it soon enough. 

My biggest issue was I was trying to find ways to use less machines and make the process better, but might be trying that too early. However I can't understand why I cannot use a single patty maker to make patties for both plain and cheeseburgers and just tell the smart arm where to drop them. 

But that aside, I like the logic behind working it all out. 

On 18/07/2019 at 17:09, Nequests said:

I didn't even know that was coming. Looks like the same people who did Wild Guns Reloaded.

Ah, the good old days, when men were massive ninja robots and women were ninja robots with massive breasts.

2 hours ago, bradigor said:

My biggest issue was I was trying to find ways to use less machines 

Fewer 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 8

After spending a couple of hours with it I can recommend Automachef. It very much a fast food version of Big Pharma and less that £10.

Interested in picking up a few of these in the sale (prices in USD):

Trivial Pursuit $7.50 (for the kids)

Starlink $18.18

Phoenix Wright Trilogy $21.35

Pac-Man DX $12.36

Either NBA 2K19 $14.99 or NBA 2K Playgrounds $14.84

Katamari $13.21

Just Dance 2019 $12.27 (for the kids)

Dragonball FighterZ $31.64

If anyone has any of the above, could you recommend which 2 or 3 are definitely worth it.

• Upvote 1

Phoenix Wright (if you've never played it) - great fun to play a chapter an evening. Like a good, albeit bonkers crime novel. 

Katamari (even if you have played it) - still one of my top 5 games on the system. Rolling random shit up never gets old.

Starlink - there's a lot of game there for the price. A Starfox clone, with actual Starfox!

• Upvote 2