Sign in to follow this  
PopeSmokesDope

The OA (Netflix)

Just started watching this.... to be honest.. I've just started the second episode and I'm not actually sure what it is!!

I quite enjoyed the first episode...

It feels a bit twin peaks crossed with stranger things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I binged The OA over the last two days and I found it a very frustrating experience. Like all of Batmanglij and Marling's collaborations to date there is enough intriguing hooks to keep you coming back but by the end you never feel the journey is really worth it. It shares many similarities with their first work together - Sound of My Voice - which I found more satisfying, mainly because it was shorter and more focused.

The OA has some interesting ideas and memorable moments (the first episode switch works brilliantly) but some of the creative decisions are really tough to swallow. There are far too many unintentionally funny moments, never a good thing in a show that takes itself so seriously. The acting is very patchy with some great performances and others downright awful (yes, I'm looking at you Homer). Then comes the end which just didn't work for me, at all. It will definitely get people talking but I don't think it really deserves it.

• Upvote 3

I'm quite enjoying it, 2 eps in. Its definitely a bit odd beat and different.

As soon as they very strongly hinted what OA may stand for in the first ep my heart sank a bit and I'm fully expecting it to end in an unsatisfactory manner, so far though the journey is intriguing enough to stick with it

On 17/12/2016 at 22:33, lordcookie said:

I binged The OA over the last two days and I found it a very frustrating experience. Like all of Batmanglij and Marling's collaborations to date there is enough intriguing hooks to keep you coming back but by the end you never feel the journey is really worth it. It shares many similarities with their first work together - Sound of My Voice - which I found more satisfying, mainly because it was shorter and more focused.

The OA has some interesting ideas and memorable moments (the first episode switch works brilliantly) but some of the creative decisions are really tough to swallow. There are far too many unintentionally funny moments, never a good thing in a show that takes itself so seriously. The acting is very patchy with some great performances and others downright awful (yes, I'm looking at you Homer). Then comes the end which just didn't work for me, at all. It will definitely get people talking but I don't think it really deserves it.

Finished it all now, and I'm with you on the ending.

Spoiler

At the school shooting, when they got up and started doing that dance thing they'd been practicing, it was just mental. Throughout the show, the "moves" bordered on being unintentionally funny, and made me cringe on occasion. But god, when they started doing it at the end... and all it basically amounted to was a distraction, allowing that other guy to rugby tackle him. It made me laugh (not the desired response, I'm sure), thinking that that guy must've thought what are theses weirdos doing? Before deciding to take advantage of the situation.

And was it all basically a made up story, to mask the pain of her incarceration? The characters made a big leap, when they found those books. I think it was also implied that the FBI agent might have planted them. But if it was a fake story, it doesn't really explain her getting her sight back. Unless I missed something.

Those dance moves though. Reminded me of the sort of stuff they probably get up to at an amateur dramatics class, and which has no place beyond the classroom, as it's all a bit cringeworthy.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Finished it all now, and I'm with you on the ending.

Hide contents

At the school shooting, when they got up and started doing that dance thing they'd been practicing, it was just mental. Throughout the show, the "moves" bordered on being unintentionally funny, and made me cringe on occasion. But god, when they started doing it at the end... and all it basically amounted to was a distraction, allowing that other guy to rugby tackle him. It made me laugh (not the desired response, I'm sure), thinking that that guy must've thought what are theses weirdos doing? Before deciding to take advantage of the situation.

And was it all basically a made up story, to mask the pain of her incarceration? The characters made a big leap, when they found those books. I think it was also implied that the FBI agent might have planted them. But if it was a fake story, it doesn't really explain her getting her sight back. Unless I missed something.

Those dance moves though. Reminded me of the sort of stuff they probably get up to at an amateur dramatics class, and which has no place beyond the classroom, as it's all a bit cringeworthy.

Spoiler

The is it true or just a story was used by Marling and Batmanglij with much greater effect in Sound of My Voice, here it just adds a needless question to the events. As you say, there are plenty of other mysteries here that couldn't have been made up as a simple story. I thought using a school shooting was rather distasteful device too and that was before they started doing their laughable dancing.

Spoiler

I nearly died laughing when they started their interpretive dance routine in front of the shooter. And then instead of building to some sort of event, it was just a distraction. I just don't know what to say.

Yeah, let down by the ending.

• Upvote 1

Oh dear oh dear oh dear, that ending

Spoiler

Having been fully expecting a crap ending all the way thru this I thought they'd turned it round and were going to redeem it totally by taking it down a route she was a nutter

Instead we got that dire dance shooter ending, possibly the shittest thing I can recall watching this year (maybe second shittest, Preacher talking to god may have been worse)

I'd really enjoyed the incarceration experiment stories and the ending just made all of that utterly irrelevent, and how did she get her vision back ?

Garbage

Spoiler

I thought the ending was incredibly powerful in the school hall - my wife nearly burst into tears (and she has a heart of stone ;)) but I guess a lot of it is open to interpretation.

In my view the 'movements' might have frozen time or confounded the shooter to buy time for someone to tackle him rather than it being a WTF moment.

I also think the 'portal' OA was attempting to open was analogous to death - but a permanent one she had been seeking. Almost as if she knew that Homer was dead also.

Her partnership with the boys (and BBA) represented her attempt to try and 'save' them in a way she was unable to on the bus when she was a child - almost as if she was on a mission she had to complete before she could die (similar to the Sheriff's wife who had to pass on a message before she died). The boys were saved in a way that, as they all represented marginalised sections of society either through their aggression, absentee parents, sexuality etc - that either of them could have been the shooter in the school hall that day - but instead they all worked together to prevent a massacre.

The more I think about it, the better it gets although I admit initially my wife and I were a bit confused.

• Upvote 3

its a really interesting one this, can't think of anything else that has been so polarised in terms of being both excellent and utter shite, not a little bit rubbish or 'oh come on' but just utter utter shite.

yet despite feeling that I'm really glad I watched it and would say overall I enjoyed it, which makes me feel the good bits were really very good.

I can also see on depending how you take it you could also find the whole thing incredibly powerful and emotionally effecting, or the worst thing you've ever watched.

More of this kind of thing please is my overall feeling, I love the fact it got made and hope Netflix/Amazon continue to push into this space of less conventional stuff.

Just watched this over the last two days and the whole thing, especially the ending, came straight out of the M Night Shyamalan play book.

..what with this, Sense8 and Falling Water, I think I'm done with overly obtuse meta physical Sci-Fi ('ish) TV.

The 2nd season of The Expanse can't come soon enough...space, guns & aliens is what I need right now from the genre.

This felt like a number of actually really good ideas for half-formed feature films, meshed together at random to fit a Netflix TV pitch, which then actually got funding and the nightmarish need to actually tie it all up in some way, and hence, the massive failure of an ending, which bore no real relevance to anything, and used a contrived and incredibly quickly plotted twist to try and distract the audience from the fact absolutely NOTHING got resolved.

Spoiler

You've got the story of the blind girl who disappeared from small town America only to return years later with her sight, and the FBI agent trying to uncover the mystery of what happened to her. Great hook, no resolution.

You've got the story of the Russian olicharch child who had her sight taken away by a Goddess so she wouldn't have to see the horrors that would come to her and her father if she chose to stay alive. Great hook, no resolution.

You've got the story of the scientist obsessed with the secrets of the afterlife, who keeps human lab rats that eventually gain superpowers and turn against him. Great hook, no resolution.

And you've got the outsider high school kids all brought together by an angel to save their school from a future massacre. Okay hook, terrible resolution.

Really, none of these stories need the other, it's just a matter of fudged convenience that they relate to one another at all. It's a classic shaggy dog story - introduce a story, milk it for intrigue, then switch to another introduction using the same lead character. It's frustrating because some of these ideas are great, and Brit Marling is a great actress, and the narrative ambition with some of the concepts is to be applauded, but if just one of these stories (except maybe the last) had been properly fleshed out, something really great could have been made. The fact that everything leads to a school shooting - something in no way relevant or meaningful to any of the story strands thus far - just made me utterly numb. Add the always borderline 'movements' to the mix and you're suddenly watching something utterly cringe worthy.

A great shame then - a wasted oppertunity. I still would love to know how the blind girl got her sight. And what happened to the scientist who nearly solved the secret of death. Or what horrors were so horrible that a diety would chose to remove a little girls eyes as a price for life.

Not in this Netflix dimension, I guess.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Enjoyed the first half of the series, maybe 5 episodes. Some nice ideas early on that were a bit confused and I'm not sure could have ever resolved to produce a good story but at least it was engaging.

Took a few week break after episode 6 and finally returned tonight to see the last two tonight. Wish I'd not bothered really. Bored for most of it and proper laughing out loud for the last 20 minutes or so.

• Upvote 2

Umm maybe gentle spoilers ahead but not about specific events...

I liked this. Really interesting exploration of myth as both storyteller and living guide, myth tales evading single interpretations and neat shapes but holding larger truths, lives not following single courses, etc. Loved the weaving of the fireside storytelling with reflection time and daily life. Interesting ideas about magic and ritual. Nice structure for the first half. I loved how it keeps shrugging you off in the first half every time you think you've got hold of the main story. I was disappointed when the fifth episode seemed like it was pulling the same trick but then just stuck with the previous story - would have been really something if it could have kept pushing the idea. If it hadn't dwelt on that same thread for so long I think the ending would have felt less jarring - it would have just been the next shift of the shaggy confusing story which kept carrying me along and offering good nourishment along the way. Also enjoyed the stuff in the middle about needing to embody and actually live knowledge to know it - and the comparison there between the people doing that and the person/people trying to understand just by observing from outside who will of course never truly know. Almost a commentary on tv watching, or the blind belief that facts and data are all knowledge.

Thought the ending would have been great if the previous three episodes hadn't dwelled on the one story thread and suggested a resolution which the ending couldn't really deliver, because the first half didn't ever promise anything of the sort and that was part of what I liked about it.

I don't like tv but I liked this more than most tv.

• Upvote 4

Surprised what you guys are living as the rubbish bit from the last episode too...

...because I thought that amazon box of books was surely the biggest mis-step in the whole show, and anything else paled by comparison.

So who's looking forward to the upcoming second season of The OA? The second series of the paranormal/mystical sci fi is expected to make a surprise return within the next few weeks. 

The first season dropped on Netflix almost completely by surprise as no promos were made available and the show wasn't marketed in advance but it proved to be quite a hit despite receiving mixed reviews . In many ways it feels like a companion show to Stranger Things despite touching on quite different subject matter. 

Starring Brit Marling and Jason Isaacs( Lorca from Star Trek Discovery among many other things) . Release date hasn't been confirmed but is believed to be any week now!

4 hours ago, Sartre84 said:

Actually I just did a google search and I found the original topic. Apologies but it didn't come up when I did the search on the site.

I have moved your posts to the thread.

I'll give it a go, maybe. It's weird and sometimes uncomfortable but overall still oddly compelling. 

• Upvote 1

just reading my posts from season 1I found the whole thing oddly compelling too - despite THAT ending I'd still watch a second just to see what direction she takes it in, I suspect I could be 'out' quite quickly but just as easily could be drawn back into another shaggy story with a daft ending.

• Upvote 1