Kill Bill vol. 1

Reservoir Dogs

Jackie Brown

Kill Bill vol. 2

Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood

Inglorious Basterds

Django Unchained

The Hateful Eight

Not yet seen Death Proof. Enjoyed Inglorious a lot more first time around but rewatched it recently and now think it’s a very good start that descends into incoherence. Hateful Eight comfortably my least favourite of his films.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Raoull duke said:
  Hide contents

He got fired off the set over it. So no?

but then he’s back on the roof shrugging to himself and saying “probably” or something like it, isn’t he?

9 minutes ago, alexander said:

Reveal hidden contents

but then he’s back on the roof shrugging to himself and saying “probably” or something like it, isn’t he?

He says "...Yeah" because he understands the reasoning for Rick's explanation. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, alexander said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I thought he said something like 'ok, that's fair'. As in, he was right to fire me.

• Upvote 1

Jackie Brown

Pulp Fiction

Reservoir Dogs 

Kill Bill Vol 2

Kill Bill Vol 1

Death Proof

Django Unchained

Inglorious Basterds

I need to see OUATIH again before I can place it. It will probably end up nearer the top than the bottom.

• Upvote 1

Just saw this. Apart from the ranch and ending found it utterly boring. Would have walked out if I wasn’t with my wife (who it turns out hated it). Also I know about the Tate murder.

Well this is great. But also tedious and meandering in places. I understand why this is the case - to setup the climax and soak in the period atmosphere. My main reservation:

Why spend the bulk of the film on an uneventful day, splitting Pitt and DiCaprio into isolated segments, but then follow it up with an exposition-heavy 5 minute segment chronicling their sojourn to Italy and the dissolution of their working arrangement. I mean... cut some of the other stuff and show us

that.

I found the criticisms of the Bruce Lee cameo, Tate’s portrayal and the dog food scene to be completely unjustified in the context of the finished film.

It’s middling Tarentino. DiCaprio is amazing as always. As such it’s essential viewing, but there’s a better 2-hr film in there.

Just back From seeing it . Needs a second viewing , but after a break . Much like hateful eight , which I came out of mildly disappointed, I suspect it will improve with another watch . Hateful eight is now one of my favourite Tarantino films . 

• Upvote 3

On 19/08/2019 at 14:12, Marlowe said:

I'd definitely say if you don't have at least passing knowledge of the Manson murders and 60s/70s Hollywood, you're not the intended audience for this film. It relies on a certain level of audience expectation about what's going to transpire. I can't imagine it working as a standalone narrative.

Absolutely . Without prior knowledge the last hour building up to the climax would have far less impact . The more I think about the more it is a genius move and probably the only way it could possibly have been handled given the inevitable graphic nature it would take .

14 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I think having prior knowledge that the Manson murders were truly horrific – and that's where all of this was barrelling towards – made the last hour like having an extended anxiety attack. The way it was paced and littered with little hints that ratcheted the tension up was masterful. I don't think you'd need to have a forensic knowledge of the events, but awareness that they really sucked is probably enough.

Again , absolutely this . 

My ranking is probably:

Pulp Fiction

Inglorious Basterds

Jackie Brown

Django U

Hateful 8

Reservoir Dogs (should prob be higher but I haven’t seen it in ages)

Once Upon A Time in H

Kill Bill 1

Kill Bill 2

I actually liked all the films in the list except Kill Bill

• Downvote 2

I ranked Basterds and Django bottom of my list for the simple reason that they both end up outstaying their welcome. Django especially rumbles on for a good 20 odd minutes after the destruction of Candyland that do nothing for it. Despite that i still love them. Django was made for me by the double act of DiCaprio and Jackson's utterly fascinating but still despicable Stephen. It's up there with Jules and Ordell as his finest performance. Imaging he played Mace Windu like Stephen.

"This fucking little pipsqueak hea! He ain't no fucking Jedi Mr Yoda! You can get my black ass he won't be fuckin' trained! No sir!"

Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown justify their length by being utterly engrossing throughout.

Saw this yesterday and was bored throughout. Plenty of good acting on show, but I found the film too long and I looked at watch numerous times, which is never a good sign. 

• Upvote 1

Been thinking about this all morning and it’s already a better film that my I initial reaction last night. I knew it would be a Grower the more you considered it .

Also ranking Tarantino films is like ranking flavours of cheesecake . There’s times you want baked vanilla , and there’s times you want salted caramel , but really , all that matters is that it’s  cheesecake . .

• Upvote 6

On 20/08/2019 at 12:29, alexander said:

Hide contents

I think it’s it’s his memory of actual events, so the Bruce Lee fight happened, but it’s his version of it (where he’d inevitably picture himself being a total badass even if that wasn’t quite how it went down). If that makes sense

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MrPogo said:

Hide contents

I think it’s it’s his memory of actual events, so the Bruce Lee fight happened, but it’s his version of it (where he’d inevitably picture himself being a total badass even if that wasn’t quite how it went down). If that makes sense

Whats the point of the scene if not to establish that he actually is a total badass though?

This movie benefits from a lack of gaudy Tarantino cameos. Say what you will about him, he showed real restraint here. 

I'm going to see this tonight with my wife (first cinema date since we had our daughter :D ) so we have splashed out and are going to an Everyman.

I know a little bit about the Manson murders. What's the best thing I could read/watch on my lunchbreak to make the most of it?

1 hour ago, Horribleman said:

I'm going to see this tonight with my wife (first cinema date since we had our daughter :D ) so we have splashed out and are going to an Everyman.

I know a little bit about the Manson murders. What's the best thing I could read/watch on my lunchbreak to make the most of it?

If you know who Charles Manson and Sharon Tate were. And what the Spahn Ranch was you'll be fine. I'd not bother reading anything else on the subject before watching. 

3 hours ago, Horribleman said:

The wiki page on the Sharon Tate murders is fine . All you need to know is the outline of what happened . 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Kill Bill Vol 2 is by far his worst film.

As with all Tarantino films, there are so many great scenes in that movie.

The Pai Mei training camp, the black mamba attack and description, the wedding and meeting with Bill, the truth serum. And one of the greatest lines ever.

"You're not a bad person. You're a terrific person. You're my favorite person. But every once in a while, you can be a real cunt"

Plus of course Ennio Morricone

• Upvote 6

Local cinema showed Kill Bill 1 recently so I went along as I hadn't seen on a big screen

Was much better than I remembered it and would have watched KB2 immediately afterwards if it was on

Found KB2 on Netflix a week later and watched it (even tho I distinctly remember it being poor back in the day) and really really enjoyed it this time too

SO both KBs have improved with age IMO

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

As with all Tarantino films, there are so many great scenes in that movie.

The Pai Mei training camp, the black mamba attack and description, the wedding and meeting with Bill, the truth serum. And one of the greatest lines ever.

"You're not a bad person. You're a terrific person. You're my favorite person. But every once in a while, you can be a real cunt"

Plus of course Ennio Morricone

All of this plus the five point exploding heart technique, make both Kill Bills my absolute favourite Tarantino films.

• Upvote 1

My review would basically go: "Watching OUATIH is like hearing your old friend tell a meandering, moderately amusing version of 'The Aristocrats' where they lose you part way through the joke but absolutely nail the signature punchline with a flourish [and a well timed elaborate finger click action]".

I don't understand the hate for Kill Bill, perhaps it's because I only watched them once at the time of release. They seemed unique at the time, typically action movies were pretty generic around that time and this felt like it cranked everything up to 11, not just the violence but the story/characters/dialogue etc. I've always been curious to rewatch it, perhaps they aged badly.

Wow those clips, especially the first one. I'm a big Kermode fan but had no idea how much he hated KillBill and it was especially interesting how these clips had multiple people who identify as a feminist with different takes on just how feminist these movies were. I do feel like at the time it felt a very feminist movie just because the very concept of a high budget action movie led by a dressed woman seemed incredible novel but of course nowadays that's just not enough and rightly so.

Going back to OnceUponATime, I recall before the movie came out that it was considered outrageous that Margot Robbie hardly had any lines. I remember coming out of the cinema and thinking her character was absolutely separated from the entire film and pointless but since listening to reviews and other people talk about this movie two things became apparent 1) She doesn't need to talk to have presence and communicate to the audience and 2) Her character is a bigger part of the meaning behind the movie,  more so than either Leo/Brad

• Upvote 1

Went to see this today, coincidentally after watching the episode of Mindhunter last night where they interview Manson and talk about the details at length. Not that it mattered - I was so bored by the time we got there I couldn't care how it was resolved. It might have been OK at 2 hours and with a better script and fewer pointless cameos. But not this.

• Upvote 1