rllmuk
Goose

Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 60s/Manson movie

45 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Well let me be the first to disagree somewhat. 

I loved it for the love letter to a time long passed that it was. Thought the ranch scene was up there with the tenseness of many Tarantino scenes and I had no clue what batshit crazy was coming in those final 10 mins. Laughed like a loon I did. 

The fake Italian movies hilarious appealed to the amount of shit I watched in my formative years. 

It also made me realise just how many movies pre 1970 are just not available for easy viewing such a fucking shame. 

At this point QT has written more love letters to various eras of cinema that here, I felt much of it was superfluous. But I also have no emotional connection to Spaghetti Westerns so that could be one stumbling block.

I’m glad it did resonate for you though. I wanted to like it but grew impatient around the time Dalton chats with the eight year-old. There were moments but feel, as with several of his other films, a ruthless editor would have helped tighten things up.

Loved the:

Spoiler

Bruce Lee fight.

Thought the scene at the ranch was probably the highlight of the film and incredibly tense in places.

Prior to watching the Tate murders were something I was aware of but not in any great detail, so yeah having read up on them now I can see how the ending could be viewed as being in bad taste.  But this is QT so I guess you go into his films expecting no less.

I was never not entertained throughout and while nowhere near my favourite Tarantino film , I would consider it a marked improvement on the Hateful Eight and would score 7.5\10.

I loved this - won’t get into spoilers. I was feeling anxious how he would handle the ending and he did a great job with it, good stuff. 

Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio were excellent.

• Upvote 2

On 21/03/2019 at 07:18, Goose said:

I thought he said 'Rick Fucking Dalton' 

On 21/03/2019 at 11:44, Bazjam said:

Its  something along the lines of "That's a great fucking note".

On 21/03/2019 at 13:16, kerraig UK said:

He says "Great fucking note"

Goose wins! Flawless victory. 

I enjoyed this a lot.

Spoiler

Mostly a bunch of seemingly random scenes, many of which are excellent. Then a spectacular finale. Pretty much standard Tarantino. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Goose wins! Flawless victory. 

I enjoyed this a lot.

Hide contents

Mostly a bunch of seemingly random scenes, many of which are excellent. Then a spectacular finale. Pretty much standard Tarantino. 

My mind went straight back to this post when I watched it tonight. Goose absolutely wins.

Loved the film as well.

I loved every minute of this.

While I can appreciate where anyone saying it needed cutting down are coming from, I’d have happily sat through another hour of flashbacks, tv and movie scenes and sets and characters driving around listening to tunes.

and then

Spoiler

The ending.

It was clear it wasn’t going to be true to history, but it didn’t feel safe that a happy ending would be enjoyed by all the leads as it unfolded, but then Fucking Hell! as it explodes into comedic, but very, very brutal ultra violence. What a last ten minutes. The 

Spoiler

Flamethrower

brought the house down in my screening.

• Upvote 1

Think biggest laugh in my showing was:

Spoiler

Tripping Cliff trying to remember Tex’s name and he said ‘I am the Devil here to do the Devils work’, to which Cliff replied ‘Nah that ain’t right it was dumber than that’.:lol:

• Upvote 3

So there are actual - ACTUAL - news stories today about the 'Bruce Lee' controversy in this film. The controversy is apparently that Tarantino had the temerity to depict a fictional character managing to achieve some sort of parity in a fight with the fictional representation of a real-life martial arts actor. 

Pakistan and India are on the verge of war; right wing thugs are on the march across Europe; an unelected bigot is attempting to decimate Britain for the personal gain of his personal coterie; and a racist president is making a mockery of democracy in the US of A. But some journalists have seen fit to consider it as actual news - ACTUAL NEWS - that the outcome of a fictional fight, between a fictional character and a fictional interpretation of a real-life character, has upset some real-life people. 

We are all deeply, deeply fucked.

• Upvote 1

I was bored throughout. Aside from that glorious ending, it was... incredibly dull for the most part. Pitt and Leo were fucking great mind - and it was nice to see Olyphant doing his cowboy thing again.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was an enjoyably plotless wallow in 60s Hollywood, with some great acting.

I'm very glad I read the Wikipedia entry on Sharon Tate (who I'd never heard of) before watching though as her character would have seemed completely pointless to the film otherwise. As it is she barely seems to say anything, just dances a bit and smiles, but perhaps that's just how she was.

It can be very slow in places but everytime Leo and Brad are on screen it's great.  I wasn't feeling much of the film until the ending which then makes everything come before it just glorious.  I think it's one of those rare instances that the ending makes the film.  I always believe that if you don't have a strong ending then it doesn't matter what came before.

There's so many little details in the film that build up to an ending which you think is coming but then just swerves into something else.

There’s a new Kermode on Film podcast titled ‘Top Tarantino Movies’.

Its essentially Kermode chatting with another guy (which hadn’t seen all of his films) about how good Jackie Brown is, all of the bits they hate about his other films, and a couple of particular scenes they love :seanr:

I do get some of the criticisms though. His films, especially the later ones, can drag on in places, and could certainly do with a few cuts here and there, his cameos are rarely any good, and the ‘Tarantinoisms’ (silly title screens, intermissions etc) can get a little tiresome. But man, that guy is talented as fuck. Looking forward to this, and I can’t wait to see the ending.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Trumpets said:

I thought it was an enjoyably plotless wallow in 60s Hollywood, with some great acting.

I'm very glad I read the Wikipedia entry on Sharon Tate (who I'd never heard of) before watching though as her character would have seemed completely pointless to the film otherwise. As it is she barely seems to say anything, just dances a bit and smiles, but perhaps that's just how she was.

It is interesting as it feels like the film assumes you have a level of knowedege about Tate and Manson.

Film spoilers ahoy

Spoiler

The Tate stuff must seem fairly pointless (or at least overlong) without knowng the true history, but it works if you do as you are clearly meant to like/fall a bit in love with her while worrying about her eventual fate.

Equally, the Ranch scene is enhanced if you know who the Manson family is (although I suspect its still very effective even if you don't).

And the ending is amazing regardless, but again the build up is more effective if you know what 'should' about to happen?

A rewatch will be interesting knowing how it all plays out. Not sure if I need to go out and watch the whole thing again tomorrow (although I may try and catch it again on the big screen), but I need to see that ending again ASAP.

What a weird movie, even for Tarantino. Enjoyed it.

Interestingly, about a dozen people went to the loo during the 8 year-old scene. Just thought I'd mention that. Like they knew it was going to add nothing.

2 hours ago, Paulando said:

There’s a new Kermode on Film podcast titled ‘Top Tarantino Movies’.

Its essentially Kermode chatting with another guy (which hadn’t seen all of his films) about how good Jackie Brown is, all of the bits they hate about his other films, and a couple of particular scenes they love :seanr:

I do get some of the criticisms though. His films, especially the later ones, can drag on in places, and could certainly do with a few cuts here and there, his cameos are rarely any good, and the ‘Tarantinoisms’ (silly title screens, intermissions etc) can get a little tiresome. But man, that guy is talented as fuck. Looking forward to this, and I can’t wait to see the ending.

The other guy is Jack Howard, whom he podcasts with occasionally, and is annoying as fuck. Would have been far more interesting to do it with someone more pro Tarantino (Robbie Collin maybe) to counter his arguments, rather than Howard who just laughs and agrees with most things Kermode says.

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

Damnit, I didn't realise there was a post-credits sting.  Can somebody spoiler it for me please?

You see Rick Dalton do an advert for a cigarette commercial next to a standee of himself, in 4:3, black & white, like the opening of the film when he's interviewed on set with Cliff. He finishes the commercial, the film keeps rolling and he loses his shit over the image used for the cardboard standee, trashing it and shouting about why such things aren't checked.

Thought it was a shame he gets a 'happy' ending, or at least it looks like his career has a shot in the arm, then the final image of him is being a dickhead on a set. Plus ça change, I guess.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Meh said:

I was bored throughout. Aside from that glorious ending, it was... incredibly dull for the most part. Pitt and Leo were fucking great mind - and it was nice to see Olyphant doing his cowboy thing again.

The opinion of a simpleton. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Meh said:

:lol:

Alright - how, exactly, is it the "opinion of a simpleton"?

Not supporting the taunting but the sheer amount of detail and craft throughout the film makes it far from boring. The film is far from perfect but the 3 lead performances were great and it was nice to see a restrained script compared to the normal Tarantino film. As for the ending being the only non-dull part, I don't know how you could fail to appreciate the 'George' section.  

See, I can appreciate all of that. There is no doubt whatsoever that Tarantino is a magnificent film-maker, who knows his craft inside and out. Everything on-screen looks like sheer effort has been poured into it. I'd never question any of that stuff.

In terms of story, though, I found it lacking. Now, there's only so much you can do with what history presents us with - but I don't quite get why it took so damn long to get there

(and then just go "fuck what happened").

So, I can appreciate the film as an accomplishment of being amazing to look at, and the acting was pretty damn special... but I still didn't like the meat of the product.

10 hours ago, Trumpets said:

To my understanding of the film though that is how QT wanted to portray her.  He is not interested in delving into her as a person, but more she is there to represent the golden Hollywood ideal that QT is painstakingly recreating throughout the movie.

To me the crux of the film is that::

Spoiler

QT is saying this golden era ended abruptly with the real life events surrounding  Sharon Tate, and the fairytale ending (Hence The Once Upon A Time) he concocts means the golden era had no reason not to continue on.

2 hours ago, Meh said:

See, I can appreciate all of that. There is no doubt whatsoever that Tarantino is a magnificent film-maker, who knows his craft inside and out. Everything on-screen looks like sheer effort has been poured into it. I'd never question any of that stuff.

So, I can appreciate the film as an accomplishment of being amazing to look at, and the acting was pretty damn special... but I still didn't like the meat of the product.

@Meh, I'd spoiler your second paragraph. 

I totally get what you're saying, it did initially leave me feeling a bit cold. I'm not a massive Tarantino fan but felt that on reflection, this had a lot for going for it and didn't rely on his normal USPs. Seemed a more grounded and mature film, without the relentless reliance upon violence, snappy dialogue and b-movie tropes. 

Sorry for the weird question, but can anyone tell me if this film has anything about young babies or toddlers or (especially) pregnancy in please? Thanks.

- I just read that Sharon Tate is in it, so that answers that?

Someone wants to see this with me but really really shouldn't be seeing anything along those lines right now.