Cyhwuhx

Dark Souls Remastered - PC/PS4/Switch/X1 out now!

On which platform will you remaster death?  

296 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

Four Kings is two minutes. I counted :(

Yeah, that's a bad one, I do agree.  Shame they didn't put a nice shortcut in there. 

2 hours ago, robdood said:

Not really, BotW reminded me a lot of Dark Souls in terms of trusting you to figure things out. 

Both games have subtle (and not so subtle!) ways of teaching you the mechanics. 

This is promising.

2 hours ago, robdood said:

The run-backs to the bosses are kind of integral to the game, especially given how the multiplayer works.  

For me, it helps put more pressure on and makes each attempt at a boss more.. important!  And makes the relief / sense of achievement all the better once you overcome that obstacle. 

Figuring out optimal route to take to retry a boss is part of the satisfaction imo.  Plus we're talking timescales of about 60seconds to run to a boss, tops. 

So is this.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Imagine it more like how a good Metroidvania map would be in 3D - it's free-form and explorable in the same way that the castle in SotN is. A lot of "oh shit look where I am! So this is how it connects" moments

And this.

1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

People will try and tell you that the run backs to bosses are fine. Important even, part of the experience.

Most of the time the first bit is true. The second bit, not so much. But there are times when the run backs are unnecessarily long and annoying.

It shouldn't come even remotely close to marring the experience though.

As long as it's not all the time, this sounds OK.

Right - Dark Souls Remastered is on the list. Roll on summer. Thanks, everyone!

37 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

Four Kings is two minutes. I counted :(

Perhaps in the remaster they have added a nice little bonfire for you.  ;)

I heard they have added bonfire(s), one near Vamos apparently.

I don't get the logic of adding one near vamos, really?  I mean, it's no further to trek than it is to the blacksmith in Anor Londo.. 

It's good reading people's thoughts on taking the plunge on a Souls game, the trepidation and whether it's for them. I remember reading all the glowing posts on here for Demon's. I managed to snag a copy and for the first hour I was thinking "wtf are people on about, this is janky as fuck"  Something clicked at the Phalanx fight and all of a sudden it was a "ahh, I get it" moment. After that the feeling of this being a very special and new gaming experience grew with each cautious step and by the time I got to Latria I was thinking that it was the greatest game I'd ever played. Up steps Dark Souls...

• Upvote 7

That can still be achieved without making you run back to a boss for ages, in my opinion. The run backs are never difficult, they're just tiresome. It's time wasted that could be spent having another crack at the boss. 

The worst examples aren't actually from Dark Souls though, to be fair. Martyr Logarius in Bloodborne is the worst. I think it's about a minute and a half across those rooftops, each time you fail. And I failed a good few times on my first playthrough!

As I said, it doesn't even remotely spoil the experience though.

I think you are asking to change one of the fundamental pillars of the game. But I remember multiple occasions where I have died running back to the boss from all across the series, mostly because I just wasn't thinking / paying attention, often I've even been invaded. One of the reasons that my favourite Soul's game is Demon's because, on every level, you had to run the entire subsection of the level before taking on a boss fight, so it heightening the sense of risk and accomplishment.

• Upvote 3

Thankfully I button mashed my way past that one first time. Sorry!

Four Kings is pretty much a DPS check, so it would vary quite a lot between different builds. Same reason why I blasted Ornstein and Smaug to bits first time using sorcery and shrugged at their reputation.

6 minutes ago, amorenod said:

Logarius? 4 Kings? Meh. Those are almost instant battles compared to what you have to endure to fight Lud & Zallen in DS2

Oh god. I'd purged Horsefuck Valley from my memory, but you've brought it all back.

16 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

Four Kings is pretty much a DPS check, so it would vary quite a lot between different builds. Same reason why I blasted Ornstein and Smaug to bits first time using sorcery and shrugged at their reputation.

Yes, I had a bog standard Strength build as I recall. Ran up to each king, mashed R1.

9 minutes ago, dug said:

Oh god. I'd purged Horsefuck Valley from my memory, but you've brought it all back.

That place is the only reason why I've broken my "no summoning" vow, but I need some NPC bait to make it palatable.

17 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Yes, I had a bog standard Strength build as I recall. Ran up to each king, mashed R1.

Strength build is amazing! I thought I'd miss ranged attacks, but you can just jump attack and one-shot pretty much any non-boss enemy in the game.

34 minutes ago, amorenod said:

Logarius? 4 Kings? Meh. Those are almost instant battles compared to what you have to endure to fight Lud & Zallen in DS2

Who are Lud and Zallen? Don't remember that at all.

*googles*

Oh. Wankers.

• Upvote 1

I think some of the DS2 DLC is where they crossed the line from challenging to plain frustrating. I think I tried that fight twice solo but died more or less instantly and only managed to do it once I'd for enough sun bros together.

Was the Ringed City for DS3 actually any good in the end? It didn't get especially scintillating reviews when it came out, and at that point I was Souls'd out so I ignored it, but I feel I ought to go back to it if only for completion's sake.

1 hour ago, amorenod said:

:lol: The Frigid Outskirts/Lud&Zallen trauma is enough to cause amnesia.

I just kept going until all the stupid horse wankers stopped respawning. The boss was bad enough without fighting an entire army of mini-bosses on the way there (even if I did get my path down to about 3 fights).

10 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I think some of the DS2 DLC is where they crossed the line from challenging to plain frustrating. I think I tried that fight twice solo but died more or less instantly and only managed to do it once I'd for enough sun bros together.

Was the Ringed City for DS3 actually any good in the end? It didn't get especially scintillating reviews when it came out, and at that point I was Souls'd out so I ignored it, but I feel I ought to go back to it if only for completion's sake.

The Ringed City dlc is fantastic with the final boss arguably one of the best in the entire series. 

Don't screw me over Amazon...

Hello,

We're writing about the order you placed on March 15 2018 (Order# 205-2464063-9087502). We don't have an estimated delivery date for the items below.  We'll provide you with periodic updates on your delivery date, and notify you as soon as the items are ready to dispatch.

"Dark Souls - Solaire of Astora Amiibo (Nintendo Switch)"

We only charge your payment method for items at the time your order is dispatched. Please be assured that your card has not yet been charged for the above item(s).

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by this delay.

Amazon.co.uk

I got that too. I would imagine it's just been delayed to coincide with the game, which also doesn't have a release date now aside from "Summer".

Amazon have also sent me the email admitting that they never had any stock and don't know when they will, if ever. That's the second pre-order they've screwed me over on in two days.

2 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I'm amazed how many in the poll are buying the Switch version, considering the terrible performance/visuals the game will have compared to PS4 and Xbox One. Not what I'd expect from an enthusiast forum, where people tend to care about framerate.

thatsbait123213-thumb-600x331-166729.gif

3 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I'm amazed how many in the poll are buying the Switch version, considering the terrible performance/visuals the game will have compared to PS4 and Xbox One. Not what I'd expect from an enthusiast forum, where people tend to care about framerate.

Please stop.

• Upvote 7