wev

Best New Music of 2018

My favourite track this year was Brean Down from Beak> . I wasn’t expecting too much, as I hadn’t particularly enjoyed how their first two albums sounded - however, they decided to produce this one properly, and this is spectacular, propulsive stuff with brilliant Geoff Barrow drumming.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

It shouldn't be as good as it is - shit name for a band and the production is pretty nasty (clearly deliberate). But man, it's great. Like The Stooges put through a Devo meat grinder and a Mark E Smith seasoning. Then cooked on a dirty nightclub floor. 

Shrimp Shack is a banger of a dance tune.

I googled "Sports" just to make sure it wasn't Iggy performing the vocals, it's uncanny (muchlike how the guy from Creeper can sound alot like Meat Loaf). As for the name, I've not read any interviews or anything but I assumed it was something to do with toxic masculinity as that is defiently a growing theme in punk now 

This week I 'ave been mostly listening to:

Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want. Remember being into this lot ten years ago but they've slowed down and got grumpier since. For people that like Swans, Nine Inch Nails, Dillinger Escape Plan and Girl Band. Touring in April so grabbing tickets now. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah that album is brilliant. I haven't been so fucking terrified by an album since I was into The Locust in the early 2000s. The Reason They Hate Me <3

• Upvote 1

Not a great year for my tastes. My number one is the first full-length release of Dominique Dumont following the excellent EP a few years ago.

The style remains a mix of Balearic beach vibes, 80s movie synth soundtracks and Parisian down-mixed vocals. My favourite track is:

With the most unique track being this which is like a cross between Studio and Donkey Kong Country:

• Upvote 2

I  like that MW_Jimmy

I've listened to the Haiku Salut album a bit since it came out.

Not designed to blow anyone's socks off, but it's a gentle uplifting tuneful electronic thing that's nice put on in the bath. I'm particularly drawn to it because about 12 years ago I decided I was going to teach myself how to make some songs and do it on the computer. This intense creative period lasted about a month and for some reason  I gravitated to making stuff that sounded similar to this, but absolutely and completely shit. 

• Upvote 1

My alternative 2018 best of.

01 - Boygenius - Boygenius
02 - Will Oldham - Songs Of Love And Horror
03 - J Mascis - Elastic Days
04 - Ellis - The Fuzz
05 - Courtney Barnett - Tell Me How You Really Feel
06 - Low - Double Negative
07 - Elvis Costello & The Imposters - Look Now
08 - Snail Mail - Lush
09 - Gang Gang Dance - Kazuashita
10  - The Lemon Twigs - Go To School

I really love the new A Perfect Circle album that came out earlier this year - 'Eat The Elephant'. I think it might actually be my favourite album of theirs, which is saying a lot for me and is also pretty good going for a band that's getting on for 20 years old. There are some amazing tracks on there, but here's one I like I guess:

• Upvote 1