Jump to content
rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, kempstar said:

 

I have found the checkpoint you mention. Its just I seem to be doing next to no damage to the fucker. Ive hit him nearly 30 times in total, and it just gets so boring just repeatedly dodging. 

 

Long story short, you're playing it wrong (as almost everyone does who's played the Souls games) and the sooner you accept that deflecting and breaking posture is the way to play, the more you'll start enjoying it. If you don't, you will never finish the game. I'm being blunt because I wasted hours thinking the game was broken when it was my own stubborn refusal to trust what the game was telling me. 

 

The posture bar is almost always significantly more important than the health bar for bigger enemies. You increase their posture by attacking and deflecting, simple as that. A perfectly timed deflect does more posture damage of course, but you can pretty much spam L1 and still do some posture damage before you get the timing down for perfect parries. Every large enemy has different attacks and different timing to learn, so it can feel like a rhythm game, in a way. 

 

Attack, attack, deflect, attack, deflect, attack, attack, deflect, deflect. You want to try to overwhelm the enemy with both attack and defence. Equally, just as deflecting is arguably the best offensive option to do posture damage, swinging your sword can be your best defensive option at times to stall the enemy when you're on the back foot. This is a fundamental idea to take on board. 

 

The posture damage disappears quickly at less than a third or so but if you keep up the pressure and get it above half, it'll drain more slowly. This will buy you a few seconds to back off and guard to reduce your own posture before continuing the pressure. Once posture damage is up around 75% or so, don't let it slip. That doesn't mean wild flailing but you should apply constant pressure through attacking and parrying. You may have only done 5%-10% of health bar damage so if you let the posture slip, you will feel all the pressure was for absolutely nothing.

 

The first time you break posture and get the killing blow without doing much physical damage, you will get it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kempstar said:

Thats what im talking about, thank you. 

 

I have found the checkpoint you mention. Its just I seem to be doing next to no damage to the fucker. Ive hit him nearly 30 times in total, and it just gets so boring just repeatedly dodging. 

It's a shitty fight. Fortunately, it's very different to most of the game.

 

You can get a good number of hits in right at the start before he breaks free, which can get you about a third of the way through its first life bar. Otherwise run out the way whenever you see the kanji warning sign and get hits in in between. Then in the second phase, burn him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You shouldn't really be deflecting and parrying in the caged ogre fight, he's not Genichiro Ashina. You can just play it like a Bloodborne boss - dodge his attacks, get a couple of hits in, dodge away, repeat. If you're hitting him thirty times and not doing any damage, something's wrong. It's a relatively easy fight, and doesn't require you to learn any of Sekiro's (somewhat obscure) quirks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

It's a shitty fight. Fortunately, it's very different to most of the game.

 

You can get a good number of hits in right at the start before he breaks free, which can get you about a third of the way through its first life bar. Otherwise run out the way whenever you see the kanji warning sign and get hits in in between. Then in the second phase, burn him.

 

See this is what I mean - I wail on him whilst he is still locked up, at least 7 or 8 hits, and it takes away at most a 20th of his health bar. Ive watched videos and people are doing masses more damage than I am! 

 

Ive tried some other routes and I also managed to take down the general mini-boss. But to be honest I just pretty much button mashed deflect and attack. 

 

Ive also got to the drunkard boss, but there are just too many enemies to tackle.

 

Im actually thinking that this really isnt the game for me, which is a shame, as I was expecting to love it. I will give it a bit more time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@kempstar I would persevere and try and battle through the ogre. Like others have said, it's a fairly typical DS/BB boss. It does take a lot of hits though I seem to remember. I don't remember finding it that difficult - maybe 15/20 attempts, treating it very much like a BB boss.

 

The real test will be an upcoming general in the next section. I seem to recall that being a bit of a brick wall for me. It is optional but to be honest it's pretty important you can beat him at this stage. And there's no bluffing it really, you'll really need to learn to parry his attacks.

 

The game is hard, but there's a point for everyone that it clicks. You're not there yet obviously,  and to be honest I doubt the ogre will be the boss where it clicks.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kempstar said:

 

Yes I know, but its not much fun repeating that over and over!

 

For clarification: Take out the enemies first, then kill the drunkard boss without dying. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, kempstar said:

 

See this is what I mean - I wail on him whilst he is still locked up, at least 7 or 8 hits, and it takes away at most a 20th of his health bar. Ive watched videos and people are doing masses more damage than I am! 

 

Ive tried some other routes and I also managed to take down the general mini-boss. But to be honest I just pretty much button mashed deflect and attack. 

 

Ive also got to the drunkard boss, but there are just too many enemies to tackle.

 

Im actually thinking that this really isnt the game for me, which is a shame, as I was expecting to love it. I will give it a bit more time.

 

If you're hitting him 8 times and literally taking off a slither of health, without exaggeration, then it sounds like some sort of bug. Any chance you can take a video so we can see?

 

You haven't rung a big bell by accident, have you, in a place fairly near to the ogre?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hylian said:

@kempstar I would persevere and try and battle through the ogre. Like others have said, it's a fairly typical DS/BB boss. It does take a lot of hits though I seem to remember. I don't remember finding it that difficult - maybe 15/20 attempts, treating it very much like a BB boss.

 

The real test will be an upcoming general in the next section. I seem to recall that being a bit of a brick wall for me. It is optional but to be honest it's pretty important you can beat him at this stage. And there's no bluffing it really, you'll really need to learn to parry his attacks.

 

The game is hard, but there's a point for everyone that it clicks. You're not there yet obviously,  and to be honest I doubt the ogre will be the boss where it clicks.

 

I was probably a similar number of attempts on the Ogre but I smashed that red general first time.  My panicky hitting of L1 and Circle was interpreted by the game as mad skillz :lol: 

 

Was getting New Londo vibes from the next bit so said Fuck That and went back to take another crack at the drunk instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

 

For clarification: Take out the enemies first, then kill the drunkard boss without dying. 

That's worse than my git gud comment! :lol:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

 

If you're hitting him 8 times and literally taking off a slither of health, without exaggeration, then it sounds like some sort of bug. Any chance you can take a video so we can see?

 

You haven't rung a big bell by accident, have you, in a place fairly near to the ogre?

 

No need, the fucker is down 8-)

 

It took around 12 minutes, so I think it must have been a bug somehow! I didnt ring the bell, I know about it as I read about it. 

 

Im actually starting to get it now I think.... The move where you deflect a thrust attack is awesome.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kempstar said:

 

No need, the fucker is down 8-)

 

It took around 12 minutes, so I think it must have been a bug somehow! I didnt ring the bell, I know about it as I read about it. 

 

Im actually starting to get it now I think.... The move where you deflect a thrust attack is awesome.

 

Well done! The next mini-boss is a completely different kettle of fish, but the fight allows you to practise your deflecting a lot so treat it as a learning experience...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Horribleman said:


I'm stuck on GuApe - not a fun fight at all.

 

Is the game uphill or downhill from here?

GuApe was probably my favourite boss in the game. Without wanting to spoil things for those that haven't done this boss, how far have you got?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Horribleman said:


I'm stuck on GuApe - not a fun fight at all.

 

Is the game uphill or downhill from here?

 

Uphill in terms of both difficulty and enjoyment, I'd say. If you stop now you'll miss out on a lovely area and some great boss fights. I thought the GuApe area was the weakest in the game, myself.

 

As for the fight, what are you having trouble with?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does Nioh compare with this? It's been on my list for ages but I've never got round to it. Having completed Sekiro, however, I'm wondering if it'll just pale by comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fucking loved Nioh but your mileage may vary .

 

The combat is a bit more Ninja Gaiden, and you have to also be defensive, and dodging is important again and is in fact built into the stamina system. Builds are a lot more varied

 

Its rock hard, but as you steamed through this you shouldn't have a problem!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I like fighting these dojo guys. Their boss is an asshole though

Once you figure out that he basically has two moves he's easy. Run round him in a big circle and bait his double swipe, attack, repeat.

 

3 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

I fucking loved Nioh but your mileage may vary .

 

The combat is a bit more Ninja Gaiden, and you have to also be defensive, and dodging is important again and is in fact built into the stamina system. Builds are a lot more varied

 

Its rock hard, but as you steamed through this you shouldn't have a problem!

 

Cheers. It certainly looks different enough to warrant playing so I'll pick it up at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.