rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

This might come across as overly mean but the presence of so many people having issues with the game’s difficulty only serves to make me feel better about completing it.

For anyone having issues with the games hardness - and I did for sure - keep at it. It will be the most rewarding gaming experience of your life up till now, if you’re anything like me.

Since getting past those gruelling opening hours, the only thing that's really made me want to throw in the towel was Demon of Hatred's three vitality bars. But I persevered and got through it, and it felt great. I'm currently feeling as though I'll never beat the final boss but, again, I know I'll get through it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

8. Make a different game

From definitely should, rather than constantly tweak Demons Souls systems for all time. 

Most of those are minor changes, though. 

1 hour ago, Pob said:

Since getting past those gruelling opening hours, the only thing that's really made me want to throw in the towel was Demon of Hatred's three vitality bars. But I persevered and got through it, and it felt great. I'm currently feeling as though I'll never beat the final boss but, again, I know I'll get through it.

Oh you will. It just might take you 200 attempts and two new controllers.

I don't get why Sekiro is being singled out as being really hard, I haven't found it much harder than From's previous games. To be clear, that's not to suggest it's anything other than a challenging game but that's the beauty of From's work.

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

This might come across as overly mean but the presence of so many people having issues with the game’s difficulty only serves to make me feel better about completing it.

For anyone having issues with the games hardness - and I did for sure - keep at it. It will be the most rewarding gaming experience of your life up till now, if you’re anything like me.

It's a fine balance between a supremely rewarding challenge and feeling like a waste of time. Dark Souls and Bloodborne got it right nearly all the time. 3 or 4 phase bosses that send you back to the start every time cross that line.

I'd love to do that final boss, and given enough time I certainly would. There's nothing in there that's undoable with plenty of practice. But now I just get bored after a few tries and want to do something else. There's a point where I just stop caring and after that it can never feel rewarding.

• Upvote 1

I found Bloodborne much harder than Sekiro, although I completed BB before the patch released that let you partake in jolly co-op in the chalice dungeons, so had to do Headless Bloodletting Beast and true Watchdog of the Old Lords on my lonesome. I remember turning the air blue against HBB, and swearing blind that BB was one of the worst games I'd ever played. Before going on to get the platinum and complete all the dlc obv.

What differentiates Sekiro for me in comparison is that I find the combat intrinsically fun. It's just really satisfying pulling off parries and countering, mikiri'ing perfectly and smashing R1, getting a deathblow and feeling your hits make contact. There was no getting bored or finding boss fights frustrating for me; I kind of managed to enter the shmup-like zone of making more progress each time, over dozens of tries, until I managed it. ISS took me about four to five hours to beat, yeah it has four stages, but I was never not having fun in that time.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

I don't get why Sekiro is being singled out as being really hard, I haven't found it much harder than From's previous games. To be clear, that's not to suggest it's anything other than a challenging game but that's the beauty of From's work.

Yeah. I think the combat could be a bit more readable, but I'd say Bloodborne was harder (on the basis of Sekiro up until Genichiro Ashinam, anyway). The first few hours of Sekiro are relatively gentle compared to Bloodborne's intro, which absolutely battered me and genuinely made me question whether I was even capable of playing at this level.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

3 or 4 phase bosses that send you back to the start every time cross that line.

I'm not really sure how this is different to BB/Souls. Those bosses have multiple phases, they're just not marked out explicitly with "lives" like in Sekiro. And the bosses don't really take any longer in Sekiro either I'd say (at least I didn't experience that).

49 minutes ago, K said:

Yeah. I think the combat could be a bit more readable, but I'd say Bloodborne was harder (on the basis of Sekiro up until Genichiro Ashinam, anyway). The first few hours of Sekiro are relatively gentle compared to Bloodborne's intro, which absolutely battered me and genuinely made me question whether I was even capable of playing at this level.

Me too, but that's what makes their games special, you feel yourself getting tangibly better at them. If there was as easy mode I'd probably have used it years ago and not really learned anywhere near as much from their games, nor enjoyed the immense satisfaction of smashing a boss that felt completely unbeatable fifty or even a hundred deaths ago. 

Regarding colour-coding unblockable attacks, I reckon that'd reduce the game to Bemani and make the unblockables easier than regular attacks. From's games have always required you to watch your enemy really closely to anticipate their moves, it's an integral part of the combat. 

2 hours ago, Hylian said:

I'm not really sure how this is different to BB/Souls. Those bosses have multiple phases, they're just not marked out explicitly with "lives" like in Sekiro. And the bosses don't really take any longer in Sekiro either I'd say (at least I didn't experience that).

The level of complexity is very different, including bosses that completely switch move sets from one phase to the next. I think BB started doing that in its DLC and it was already pushing things too far for me. In Dark Souls though, most bosses only have a handful of attacks to learn, even when they have a lot of HP to chip away at.

Plus there's that built in practice mode, of course. Going into another player's game and seeing what they're trying to do and helping them out is a great way to learn a boss. I wouldn't want that in Sekiro, but it could do with something to reduce the repetition.

Whether Sekiro is actually harder than BB isn't really the issue for me. Even if BB is harder, it has smarter systems to structure its big challenges so you aren't forced into simply running straight into the wall until it breaks. It's all very well people saying that they love it like this and it suits them just fine, and it's great for those who enjoy it. But it's a limited kind of appeal to a certain kind of player that From has never restricted itself to in the past.

• Upvote 3

I found Bloodborne fairly easy to be honest for a Souls like. Certainly easier than any of the Souls games and Sekiro. Just clicked with me quickly. Very few bosses took more than two attempts. 

Sekiro is odd. Lightning rooftop arrow bastard I found amazingly hard but nothing before him or since then has been a huge roadblock. Except Reservoir Spear Wanker and the two Stabby Shotgun bastards. 

I also found the blue samurai dickheads exasperatingly hard. 

The Kanji is weird. Most of the time I dodge the moves rather than try to figure out what's what and counter them. 

I would be very interested to try a version with colour-coded kanjis to see how much easier it makes it. I still don’t think I could react quickly enough most of the time. 

I'd prefer the kanji icon completely removed, as it distracts from seeing what the enemy is doing.

Like all the souls games, you can learn the wind-up and see "when he holds the sword like this and the blade glints he does a stab, usually after this combo".

Maybe they should have removed it for NG+ like say Arkham removes the counter icons for hard mode.

The kanji, or something like it, are necessary because the game is built around the idea that every non-kanji attack can be parried. Removing that reliability would be a nightmare. 

• Upvote 1

Actually, the blade-glint is probably a better tell. Visible yet not overwhelming, and also draws attention to the position of the blade, which should help read the upcoming attack. Of course not all perilous attacks involve blades, but I'm sure there's a way around that.

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

The kanji, or something like it, are necessary because the game is built around the idea that every non-kanji attack can be parried. Removing that reliability would be a nightmare. 

Dark Souls and Bloodborne also had unblockable grabs. Lots of them got you first time. You just learned to read them. 

I really need to get back to this.... took a bit of a break after fighting owl poppa and never went back to it. I think i only have about 3 bosses left.

Worried about going in after a break.... my parrying game might have diminished a little.

16 minutes ago, kensei said:

Dark Souls and Bloodborne also had unblockable grabs. Lots of them got you first time. You just learned to read them. 

Not really comparable to the parrying system in Sekiro though.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I wonder if they could have had the kanji appear after the attack has landed. Yeah, you get smacked first time around, but the important thing is that you know what attacks were unblockable.

Thrusts can be parried. It's just grabs and sweeps that fuck you. That's only two types of attack. If the animation wind up is obvious enough, it's not an issue. 

2 hours ago, Hylian said:

I wonder if they could have had the kanji appear after the attack has landed. Yeah, you get smacked first time around, but the important thing is that you know what attacks were unblockable.

This might sound a little rude but I expect that if you gave it a bit more thought you would realise what a terrible idea that is.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Strafe said:

This might sound a little rude but I expect that if you gave it a bit more thought you would realise what a terrible idea that is.

Well not really. Some people are suggesting getting rid of it completely. I'm suggesting it might have worked to get rid of it before the attack (don't use it as a cue, let the player read the attack) but still have something that tells them it was unblockable. The problem with getting rid of it entirely is that people are going to spend a long time trying to block those attacks.

Anyway, I'm sure FROM tested a good range of options! I think it would have been nice to have the option to change it or turn it off though. Once you've learnt a bosses moves, you just want to get a clean read on them.