Sartre84

Dark (Netflix)

I thought there would have already been a thread up on here by now as it landed on Friday. Its basically Germany's answer to Stranger Things. Again centred around a sci fi mystery and a gang of school kids ( teenagers this time ) I won't give too much else away about the plot.

Although its German it comes up on Netflix UK as dubbed in English audio complete with American accents. I actually chose to watch it in German with subtitles.

I'm only half way through at this point. Its ten episodes in total .

I think if you enjoy Stranger things then you ll probably like this.

• Upvote 3

Finished watching this last night. So good! 

I can see why it gets the Stranger Things comparison but it's not really anything like that. Has more in common with some of the recent Scandinavian mystery TV shows like The Returned. 

I'd also second switching to English subtitles and German audio. 

• Upvote 4

So the general consensus of opinion seems to be pro subtitles! I really enjoyed this series. Very clever plot. It was a bit complicated keeping track of who everyone is and how they relate to each other once the sci fi shenanigans ( trying to be vague) come into play but that made it more enjoyable. Looking forward to S2.

• Upvote 1

I've been ploughing through this over the last few days (just done episode 7), and think it's great. I agree that it's tricky to keep track of the intertwining relationships, especially as the series progresses, but I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it to anyone.

Spoiler

The time travel aspects produce some real "Woah – WTF!" plot twists. Brilliant stuff.

• Upvote 2

On 12/14/2017 at 12:19, JPickford said:

Not sure I fully understood the end but I really liked this.

I'm assuming he has created a new worm hole that now branches 33 years into the future, or as it' s a paradox maybe that was the original one as Noah was saying. Essentially it just created more story

:)

This is brill.

The story is brill, the characters are brill, the soundtrack is brill. (I’ll be downloading that for sure.)

It’s nothing really like Stranger Things at all; I think that comparison has been based on a decade and the sci-fi theme. But the tone is completely different, and all the better for being in German with subtitles. Adds another level of disassociation and, ergo, creepiness to it. 

We’d worked out the two/three major character revelations beforehand, but it’s another great brain twister with good continuity and no plot holes thus far. 

To help a bit with my shite arse memory, I did this :lol: It’s pretty much spoiler free, at least till episode 5.

Spoiler

6BD0189C-69FA-446F-A38F-E317EFEA4119.thumb.jpeg.b8a631645551cf428a7cb3bfbb93836d.jpeg

Edit: Looking back at that, I just realised that writing “dude” quickly in my handwriting makes it look like “duck” :wacko: Charlotte’s husband doesn’t look like a duck. 

• Upvote 4

Finished this and it was solid, very solid. The plot held up well, the casting was great and I really liked the ending.

I can see why it's compared to Stranger Things and there are def some similarities but ultimately this is a very different beast. 

Highly recommended.

On 17/12/2017 at 20:54, Minion said:

Hide contents

I'm assuming he has created a new worm hole that now branches 33 years into the future, or as it' s a paradox maybe that was the original one as Noah was saying. Essentially it just created more story

:)

Here is my take.

Spoiler

So it seems at the end that the plot is bigger than we thought and the future is fucked. Two factions are vying for control of the timeline. The old lady (Claudia) lives in the bunker we are familiar with but in the future, hence her post apocalyptic look - so travel to and from the future timeline is already established.. What we don't know is who to trust, it seems to be Claudia (good) vs Noah (bad), but it could be the old switcheroo in season two, who knows?

• Upvote 2

Episode 5 then...

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Stranger Things is like baby's first sci-fi show, Dark is on a whole new level. Not that it's the most mind bending piece of entertainment out there but does at least keep things interesting throughout so far. 

Just finished watching this evening. Wonderful stuff. Strong writing throughout and not a single shitty filler episode anywhere. My only apprehension is that they might not be able to keep that going for series 2.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Professor Rob said:

I think I'm going to have to watch the whole thing again, and make notes this time.

Get a big board and put photos of all the cast on it and have all their relationships linked by wool strands. Then sit back and ponder it all while eating a Twix.

• Upvote 6

Watching the 4th episode right now, this stuff is golden!

Thankfully on the Norwegian Netflix it isn’t dubbed so they’re speaking German and I get Norwegian subtitles. 

It’s a must watch for any fans of Stranger Things.

It's a must watch even for non-fans of Stranger Things! Personally I think it's much, much better. But they're also two very different beasts and all comparisons are merely superficial, anyway.

• Upvote 1

I watched episode 1. After I got over the initial rage that this doesn't have a 'skip intro' button I really got into it. I liked how they kept showing family photos, helped me figure out who is who and by the end of just 1 episode I had a bare sense of who everyone was. For a show with so many characters that is pretty impressive after 1 episode! Looks fantastic, love the colour palettes (especially the school with it's yellow accents) and the original music is brilliant with it's sinister industrial noises. I'm in, this looks really impressive even after 1 episode.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Watched episode 2 last night and guess what, 'skip intro' option appeared. Makes me wonder if that's always the case? That any episode 1 of season 1 show doesn't have the option? I guess it makes sense on one level because you've not seen the intro before but then what if you were rewatching all seasons for the third time?

Anyway, another great episode.

• Downvote 2
  • Empathy 1