Ghost of Tsushima - New Sucker Punch IP

Thanks for the talk about holding triangle for those flurry attacks, been mixing these into my fights a lot more and they’re super effective. 

Went looking for a certain boss fight in act 2 and came across 

Spoiler

that giant statue!!! :wub:

Those guys that set their swords on fire can fuck right off, got done in a standoff for first time in ages by one. They made an enemy that day! We’ll more of an enemy...whatever, they gonna die!

Regarding graphics, it's pretty impressive that Ghost is even mentioned in the same breath as RDR2 and TLoU2. Sucker Punch is a small studio in comparison to those and doesn't work with the mega budgets Rockstar and Naughty Dog have. They all have their strengths, RDR2 with its environments, TLou2 with its unrivaled character rendering and animation (and unlike RDR it also controls buttery smooth and has super fun combat) and Ghost with its style and gorgeous 'world in motion' aesthetic. Just imagine what these studios will achieve next-gen.

I’ve completely lost it with standoffs now. Even with @Thor’s feet watching tip I’m shit. Even started messing the follow up hit timing too.

Fortunately my skill in combat has improved to compensate, to the point I’m thinking of actually chucking the difficulty up for the rest of the last act. 

Love this bloody game

I’ve started playing this and while I can see it clearly does stick to a lot of the traditional open world tropes, I do think reviews kind of undersold how the Guiding Wind mechanic shakes up the formula. 

It basically means I’m always fully engaged with the world instead of being distracted by a mini-map or intrusive hud elements. That makes the world feel more immersive and worth exploring rather than just a vehicle to tick boxes.

I do agree it does a better job directing you to the question marks than most games. It's not perfect (quite often I find myself being led to my actual current objective by the directions bird, for example) but the combination of in-world signposting is, on the whole, pretty good. I can see that there's a Shrine over there, a fox den over there, a honour pillar and so on. So my little diversions have purpose before I start them.

It's also pretty clear, I think, that Sucker Punch aren't working at the infinite money/infinite resourcing level of ultimate polish. And there is a fair amount of the copy/paste open world elements that bore people now. Certainly, my initial reaction to opening Act 2 included the sinking feeling of realising how many new question marks were hidden under the fog.

But I am still finding the combat very compelling. So much so that I've just turned it up to Hard (which is not a thing I do) for more of it. I did the Yarikawa storyline last night, and the end duel of that, I was actually in control of the fight the whole way through.

I am finding the main story arc a little dull. "Oh, you must fight with honour" versus stabbing a million people in the neck and there's no consequences to playing in either style. But the side ones are better. Norio, Masako, Ishikawa and so on are all quite good.

I feel like shit today, completely knackered. So instead of moving on the main story, I activated winds of guidance and I'm simply traversing the lovely countryside, looking for crickets and sashimono. This game is perfect for that. Relaxing. Zen, even.

1 hour ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

How does winds guidance work? 

You select a target type from a list on the map screen

Hot Springs (not actually worded like this)

Bamboo Strikes

Etc.

Then get back in game and keep the wind at your back and you'll end up where you want.

Has anyone managed to (act 2 spoiler)

beat a ronin duel in lethal mode? I've only tried your traitor friend and the first one I met as I went north and both are impossible to me, nearly every move is a one hit death and they're so hard to read when they come out that first. Managed them both in hard mode, they felt like a fair challenge then, just wondering if lethal is a bit bo#roken or i just suck?

2 hours ago, Minion said:

Has anyone managed to (act 2 spoiler)

Hide contents

beat a ronin duel in lethal mode? I've only tried your traitor friend and the first one I met as I went north and both are impossible to me, nearly every move is a one hit death and they're so hard to read when they come out that first. Managed them both in hard mode, they felt like a fair challenge then, just wondering if lethal is a bit bo#roken or i just suck?

Spoiler

Yes. Ive done 1 on hard 2 on lethal and have 2 left that I will be hitting on lethal. I've been really taking my time with them in lethal mode, not worrying about attacking for a the first couple of minutes so I know exactly what attacking is a solid option. Plus Dance of Wrath has been getting used to really hammer their health if I am bad shape.

But yes, these things on lethal are tough!

9 hours ago, MardiganX said:

Hide contents

Yes. Ive done 1 on hard 2 on lethal and have 2 left that I will be hitting on lethal. I've been really taking my time with them in lethal mode, not worrying about attacking for a the first couple of minutes so I know exactly what attacking is a solid option. Plus Dance of Wrath has been getting used to really hammer their health if I am bad shape.

But yes, these things on lethal are tough!

Well done dude I think it may be beyond me but I will  continue to attempt them on lethal. 

1 hour ago, Minion said:

Well done dude I think it may be beyond me but I will  continue to attempt them on lethal. 

They took ages to be fair. Like a Dark Souls boss but without the dangerous slog to get back to them each time.

Hands up though, I had to bump it down to Hard for the final one of that mythic side quest.

Make sure you have full resolve when you approach them though. I made that mistake with the first one, going in with a single resolve coin / bar / medallion, which is why it got bumped down to Hard :facepalm: so it was first one on hard, 4 on lethal and the gaffer back down to Hard.

And that’s the main story done. Kept me hooked throughout, although deffo took a while as it was so easy to get distracted by the side stories and mythic quests. 

A brilliant swan song for the PS4. Its not perfect, and I would have loved to see it with a few more months of polish and more variance in the quests, but it is a beautifully put together world with some genuinely jaw dropping visuals, a cracking combat engine and enough intrigue and drama *just* to carry the story

8/10. Brilliant. 

It looks good because everything always sways and so feels alive, even though the world is no more interactive that the usual assassins creed. The particle effects are also constant: leaves, dust,pollen.

now any open world after this game will look sterile if there isn’t continual motion.

it has set a new baseline.

I am really pleased that you are all enjoying it, but after dipping in and out I'm finding it the shallowest open world game I have played in sometime.

Certainly no where near BOTW and feels like a its long way behind the mechanics of something like RDR2. Its pretty, and combat is fun, but that is about it.

2 hours ago, bumgut said:

It looks good because everything always sways and so feels alive, even though the world is no more interactive that the usual assassins creed. The particle effects are also constant: leaves, dust,pollen.

now any open world after this game will look sterile if there isn’t continual motion.

it has set a new baseline.

Yeah, the world feels more alive because of the wind and the motion of everything. Witcher 3 did that first and it was -and still is- a revelation. Walking through a forest amidst a raging storm is one of the best experiences of this gen imo and Tsushima nails that feeling as well.

6 hours ago, deerokus said:

Well come on now, this definitely isn't true.

It’s all subjective of course. But yeah RDR2 engaged and immersed me completely with the depth of its world. 

Ghost hasn’t atall. I just feel I’m doing the same thing over and over and over again. I really want to be drawn in but mechanically it seems so basic. Maybe I just have open world fatigue though.

I think it's a bit of both. In RDR2 you can go off the beaten track and find something interesting that has no bearing on the plot, and no quest related to it, but is worth finding all the same, and is always something different. It's those things that enrich RDR2's world.

In GoT it's always one of A, B, C or D, or a quest. I love this fucking game, and I love how the world is visually realised, but its scope is very narrow.