Matthew Kenyon

Analogue Super Nt

22 hours ago, Nick_L said:

til then, the SD2SNES is the ultimate Super NT companion - it's also totally open source so don't be afraid to grab one of the cheaper ones from China - they are made with the same components to the same spec. I have one and it's been fine, supports all the newest firmware updates etc. Think I paid about $140 shipped for mine. 

Super NT + SD2SNES + Cart's of Starfox/Yoshi's Island/Mario RPG and you pretty much have everything you'll ever need :)

Yeah man, I've just received Yoshi's Island, Starfox and StuntRaceFX/Wildtrax. I really don't mind resorting to emulation for SuperMarioRPG as I have zero nostalgia value attached to that one.

Re: the Chinese SD2SNES. Is your cart shell completely enclosed at the top? The ones I've been looking at on ebay seem to have an open space behind the SD slot.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Fallows said:

Yeah man, I've just received Yoshi's Island, Starfox and StuntRaceFX/Wildtrax. I really don't mind resorting to emulation for SuperMarioRPG as I have zero nostalgia value attached to that one.

Re: the Chinese SD2SNES. Is your cart shell completely enclosed at the top? The ones I've been looking at on ebay seem to have an open space behind the SD slot.

Mine has the open space, guessing they use the same shells for Everdrives etc as well

13 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Finally got an 8BitDo wireless adapter to go with my SuperNT!

KNqf9Vu_d.jpg

I'm using my frankenpad (8BitDo SFPro30) and the D-Pad is... not amazing.  I haven't got to it yet, but there is a tape fix (open them up, put tape on the contacts) which makes them much better apparently.

I was playing Super Bomberman 4 the other night and had more than an acceptable number of deaths attributed to the D-Pad.

1 hour ago, mrsnrub said:

Quite fancy one of these bad boys, has anyone seen the clone HDMI mega drives doing the rounds on aliexpress?

Yes. They reportedly still have the "shit sound" issues of other clones though.

I've never found it a problem with most games, but some people do.

2 minutes ago, deKay said:

Yes. They reportedly still have the "shit sound" issues of other clones though.

I've never found it a problem with most games, but some people do.

I looked into that and one of the reviewers said that it seemed to be fine through the telly but when he put it on his capture card the sound went nuts. Could be that?

1 hour ago, mrsnrub said:

I looked into that and one of the reviewers said that it seemed to be fine through the telly but when he put it on his capture card the sound went nuts. Could be that?

I find the ATGames one "fine".

Others find it a form of aural rape.

YMMV.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, mrsnrub said:

Quite fancy one of these bad boys, has anyone seen the clone HDMI mega drives doing the rounds on aliexpress?

There probably won't be a properly good FPGA based Megadrive until Kevtris and Analogue get round to doing one, if they ever do! 

I'd love one, and seen as the Megadrive is hardware backwards compatible with both the Master System and Game Gear, would be a great all in one 2D Sega machine. 

Who knows though. I'd pre-order one instantly if they ever announced one. 

• Upvote 1

Mega Drive isn't compatible with Game Gear.

Game Gear games need conversion to Master System format (a non-trivial process) before they're able to run in Mega Drive backwards compatibility mode. The same applies to MSX games.

Kevtris mentioned in a video interview that there was probably memory bandwidth issues or something with respect to the Super NT and FX chip I think 

So I’ve got one of these on the way but just wondering what to connect the micro USB to for power? I’ve read that an iPhone charger works, does anyone have experience of this?

Just now, Kevvy Metal said:

Pre-orders for these are open again. 

Just came along to say exactly that.  SFC and Classic available again, clear discontinued, and black still available from round 2.  I suspect they won't be making any more black ones either..

I'd quite like an SFC one, but prefer my classic, and my wife would kill me, and I've already spent 1500+ on car parts this week...

Finally got my hands on an SF NT preorder! Thanks, gents :D

Now I just need to live on bread for a month or so. I'm sure it will be worth it to slap in my old copy of Unirally, mind.

8 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

@Fallows interested? Just don't sell your SFC for one. 

I got the email, cheers. However I just spent 2K on a new PC (without a GPU... yet).

The SD2SNES is next on my list, whenever I can sneak it in.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Fallows said:

I got the email, cheers. However I just spent 2K on a new PC (without a GPU... yet).

The SD2SNES is next on my list, whenever I can sneak it in.

I can certainly massively recommend the SD2SNES. It's an amazing piece of hardware. 

Also, even though the Super NT is totally great, a real SFC on a PVM will always been the real deal. No lag and it just looks right. 

I think I'm going to pick one of these up in the next batch, and sell a lot of my original hardware, as realistically I'm never going to own a CRT again (just don't have the space). I already have an SD2SNES and a bunch of original controllers, and flogging some of my other bits and bobs should cover the cost of the unit.

I wish they did the SFC style decals with the US Super NES style purple buttons, even if that doesn't reflect reality in any way. As it is, I'm going for the classic (US style) because a) purple and b) they'll probably produce more of those, increasing my chances of actually getting one.

Kevtris is a fricking legend. I'd love it if he could do the Mega Drive, but I'd imagine the FM chip would be pretty challenging to get right.

2 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Kevtris is a fricking legend. I'd love it if he could do the Mega Drive, but I'd imagine the FM chip would be pretty challenging to get right.

He's under an NDA for the next project but I reckon it'll be a Mega / MD / Genesis NT - and that we'll see it for around Christmas 2019. Just putting it out there.

• Upvote 1

I'm in!  :omg:

Went for the SFC colour in the end, as I realised the purple buttons would clash horribly with the blue shell of a Super Gameboy 2. Need to pick up a decent multi-tap.

Shouldn't this thread be in Retro? I keep looking for it there.

• Upvote 1

I can't recommend the Super NT enough. 

That with a SD2SNES is the best way to experience Super Nintendo stuff on new hardware. It's all awesome. 

....I do have a SFC and PVM, and that's basically what I use all the time, but do love the Super NT. 

So if i have a modded snes mini and no original SNES games, tell me why I should or shouldn't buy one on these beauties?

I love Turrican, and half figure if i don't buy now I'll miss out forevers...

From my perspective (compared to SNES Mini and a scaler):

- No faffing about with scaler settings, no expensive quality RGB cables needed, no worrying about whether the latest RGB mod is better than the one you had done etc - just digital video straight from the chips. 

- The built-in video processing options seem to be better than what you can achieve with a Framemeister or OSCC, e.g. non-integer scaling with interpolation to remove shimmer. 

- Optional zero lag mode (barring whatever your screen applies)

- Can do both PAL and NTSC. 

I just want something as simple as a real SNES on a CRT used to be, but more authentic than software emulation and with real controllers. No space in my life for a CRT, my Framemeister is a faff/cable nightmare fairly incompatible with having a grabby toddler, so one of these via HDMI seems ideal. Probably even tough enough for my kids to use. 

Turn TV on. Turn SNES on. Play. It’s 1993 all over again. 

• Upvote 2

On 13/03/2018 at 13:50, Nick_L said:

I think eventually the Super NT's firmware will be updated to emulate a lot of the custom chips, there is supposedly a lot of unused power in the FPGA. 

By the way, this will never happen due to how the Super NT is designed, how the SD card interface works - but at least the SD2SNES now supports both full speed Super FX titles and SA-1 games. 

Looking further however there'll be a new revision of the SD2SNES with a significantly larger FPGA (unofficially confirmed by Ikari). The new one will very likely be able to do MSU-1 and SA-1 simultaneously which will allow the most insanely souped-up romhacks to run. Even more exciting perhaps is the prospect of regular Snes ROMs being remapped to take advantage of the SA-1, theoretically allowing slowdown and loading times to be eliminated. It'll be the ultimate game changer and only possible on real hardware / Super NT via the SD2SNES.

The only (very small) issue I'd have with the Super NT (in the absence of a DAC) is the altering of clock speed to keep the screen refresh smooth yet within HDMI spec. In practice I know it wouldn't make any difference but knowing it's running a touch slow compared to the real thing would take something away.

Same thing with Woozle's HDMI GBA adaptor which overclocks the machine so it runs at an exact 60hz; perfect for the HDTV but nevertheless with a faster refresh and with higher pitched audio than the real thing.