Sign in to follow this  
Mr Tony

Microsoft won't touch a faulty out of warranty Elite pad, even if I pay.

Seems a bit strange does it not? My elite pad is 18 months old and the rubber grip on the right hand side has came off. Annoying but not the end of the world. 

Figured I'd contact Microsoft, see how much it will be for an out of warranty repair.

Can I do it? Can I fuck. My options they gave me are to continue using this pad, or pay £120 for a brand new one. They dont offer repairs for pads out of warranty, even if you go to pay for it. Bit shit to be honest!

• Downvote 1
  • Empathy 4

That is poor of them, who do they think they are with that level of service? Sony?

Not sure if this works but here goes.  Aren’t they being a bit elitist with this policy?

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 1

Worst thing was when I said it could possible go against the sales of goods act, (honestly, I dunno if it does or not, it's too late to check up) the service rep advised me to get a lawyer and good luck!

Microsoft usually have awesome support, not recently though. 

Try a different advisor. People on the last page of this thread have got free replacements outside of warranty.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1130078&page=100000

e.g

Got my replacement Elite today.

Brand new in box.

Had to mail back the body of my launch Elite, they let you keep the sticks and accessories, which is nice I guess. Now I have a backup set. 

They did ask for my console serial #, as the repair order seems tied to it. Same thing happened with the Kinect adapter for Xbox One S. I slacked on sending it back, but once I did the turn around was pretty quick. 

I appreciate getting a brand new replacement for my almost 2-year old controller. 

If anyone else is having issues with the launch model, I'd keep trying reps. I didn't have a receipt or anything.

2 minutes ago, ashmatuk said:

Try a different advisor. People on the last page of this thread have got free replacements outside of warranty.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1130078&page=100000

e.g

Got my replacement Elite today.

Brand new in box.

Had to mail back the body of my launch Elite, they let you keep the sticks and accessories, which is nice I guess. Now I have a backup set. 

They did ask for my console serial #, as the repair order seems tied to it. Same thing happened with the Kinect adapter for Xbox One S. I slacked on sending it back, but once I did the turn around was pretty quick. 

I appreciate getting a brand new replacement for my almost 2-year old controller. 

If anyone else is having issues with the launch model, I'd keep trying reps. I didn't have a receipt or anything.

Yeah I'm going to try again tomorrow. Each time I've had shitty service recently it's been in the evening when I'm assuming live chat is shipped abroad.

1 hour ago, Mr Tony said:

Worst thing was when I said it could possible go against the sales of goods act, (honestly, I dunno if it does or not, it's too late to check up) the service rep advised me to get a lawyer and good luck!

Microsoft usually have awesome support, not recently though. 

The Sales of Goods Act / Consumer Rights Act only applies to the retailer that you bought it from.

• Upvote 1

The recent success stories from the neogaf thread tend to be in the US I think, but I hope you get it sorted.

The service I received from MS UK support for my Elite controller was pretty terrible too, and mine was in warranty - I only went to MS because their support was supposed to be so great. They sent me two replacements, both of which were dirty and faulty* (they both had left sticks that were loose, sticking triggers etc. full of hair and bits of skin - eww). Support were utterly useless and really didn't want to know, their email system kept stripping attachments containing the receipt, photos etc. Eventually I used the EU dispute resolution service which triggered someone in the US to get in touch and they eventually provided a refund after saying they can't send out brand new replacements, only the 'certified' stock that the service centre have. I must have spent hours sorting it out, being on hold etc.

* On the plus side they told me to keep the faulty replacement which I've subsequently stripped down and repaired. Having taken an Elite apart a couple of times to get all its problems resolved it's pretty clear that the thing isn't as well engineered as you'd expect. The magnetic sticks and pad seem to have a major design flaw whereby repeated switching of them (which requires you to pull up against the force of the magnet) causes wear to the shaft of the stick unit soldered to the circuit board. Once that happens the domed cover can slide up and down causing it to be loose and also rattle when the pad vibrates. The d-pad is held in place by a shaped wafer thin steel clip which becomes distorted due to changing the d-pad. This causes the d-pad to become loose and wobbly and increases the travel before you actually make a contact. I never change mine but presumably the previous owner(s) of my used replacements were big fans of switching parts regularly. Finally(!) there is a rubber pad inside the casing against which the triggers rest that becomes damaged from repeated use and is sticky inside where it's attached to the casing; this causes the triggers to stick slightly when you press them. I fixed that using some chalk from a puncture repair kit :D

• Upvote 5

Now I understand why I was told not to let anyone else touch it. It all makes sense.

Probably gonna invest in a second, cheaper controller next month. That way my bro and his gf can play without my Elite :unsure:

Mine's got a squeaky right trigger that I've just been living with. This is making me a bit nervous, mainly because I bought direct from Microsoft.

@Mr Tony If you don't get anywhere, Which.com have a load of template letters you can use to go down the Sale of Goods legal route (or at least start threatening to) in writing.

Speaking to another now. He told me to go to a Microsoft service centre. Told him there are none here, so he replied with: 

Oh. Sounds not so good. But you know buddy, you can visit third party online retailers to purchase a new controller.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, I've check all of the ways here for our replacement option though, the best way that we can fix your elite controller is to refer you over to any 3rd party repairs shops. This is the least that I can do for you since we the warranty ran out."

@Mr Tony

If it's 'just' the rubber grip, you could pick up a spare from eBay and swap it over yourself. That part just snaps onto the controller body you only need the indispensable "spudger" tool to remove it (it's also held in place by double sided tape so feels like it's never going to pop off) and then just snap the replacement on. Strangely there were quite a few spares on eBay when I was considering selling mine as faulty. I can't think why... :D 

Of course they should just sort it for you.

The rubbers grips on both sides of mine started to come off a few months ago. I just superglued them back down. Seems a simpler solution than pissing about with MS support !

11 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

This is the least that I can do for you since we the warranty ran out."

They're pretty honest, anyway. Alarmingly so.

I mean, he's totally correct - they're doing the very least they can.

• Upvote 2

On 06/10/2017 at 23:50, Mr Tony said:

Seems a bit strange does it not? My elite pad is 18 months old and the rubber grip on the right hand side has came off. Annoying but not the end of the world. 

Figured I'd contact Microsoft, see how much it will be for an out of warranty repair.

Can I do it? Can I fuck. My options they gave me are to continue using this pad, or pay £120 for a brand new one. They dont offer repairs for pads out of warranty, even if you go to pay for it. Bit shit to be honest!

This just happened to me tonight. I remembered this thread though so spoke to Amazon instead. Mine is 14 months old and in less than 4 mins the operator set up the refund process. As always, I was extremely impressed and it’s why I buy most of my stuff like that from them.

Still damn annoying though, I’ll need a new one :hmm:

9A589084-07C0-415B-8A88-8A08E48C2A10.thumb.jpeg.e31d7931de187d842d8b1453f0c0d729.jpeg

On 25/10/2017 at 23:57, Kryptonian said:

This just happened to me tonight. I remembered this thread though so spoke to Amazon instead. Mine is 14 months old and in less than 4 mins the operator set up the refund process. As always, I was extremely impressed and it’s why I buy most of my stuff like that from them.

Still damn annoying though, I’ll need a new one :hmm:

9A589084-07C0-415B-8A88-8A08E48C2A10.thumb.jpeg.e31d7931de187d842d8b1453f0c0d729.jpeg

And it’s happened to the replacement, also 14 months old.

Amazon have said to send it back and they will refund me.

Has the pad had a revision yet? Wondering if a design labs pad might be better? I’d miss that sweet amazon customer service though.