Moz

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - "One of the greatest PC RPGs of all time" now coming to consoles

Yeah have been hearing nothing but good things about this one. I'm afraid I've yet to play the first one however, "too many games, too little time" and all that. Should I just skip that and get to this as soon as I have the chance? Would I be missing out? Does DOS2 have matchmaking? 

20 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Great post. Will be all over this when it hits macOS or console.

I wouldn't imagine that it will be too long before it is on console, Sin 2 has controller support which was probably a major headache (UI included obviously) in getting Sin 1 on console.

Fingers crossed that it is announced soon.

5 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Yeah have been hearing nothing but good things about this one. I'm afraid I've yet to play the first one however, "too many games too little time" and all that. Should I just skip that and get to this as soon as I have the chance? Would I be missing out? Does DOS2 have matchmaking? 

I didn't play the first one and I'm not having any trouble here. The events of the first game are simply treated like backstory which you read about in lore books dotted around.

It does have matchmaking in the sense that people can create open lobbies for strangers to join, but you'd end up playing the beginning of the game over and over again or getting thrown into a random point of someone else's campaign as one of their characters. You really need to treat it like a pen and paper RPG and get a group together to play through it with. The savegame lives on one person's PC, that person loads up the game and then invites the other party members in. I imagine there will be lots of one-shot mod campaigns to play as time goes on. Your characters are unique to that savegame, you can't pull them into other people's games as far as I know.

• Upvote 1

I'm a bit wary of this one as there was a ton of praise heaped on OS1 and I found it was pretty bad once it left the early parts of the game. The combat really started to drag. Definitely gonna keep an eye on it though because there was a good game somewhere in OS1.

I posted this in the first games thread but it obviously makes more sense here!

Been playing the coop mode with my other half this weekend and we absolutely love it. We really enjoyed the first game and have pretty much been waiting for this since we finished it.

The story seems better so far and the Origin stories really look like they will add an additional layer of depth. Combat is also better with the addition of different armour types (physical/magic) and the improved gui makes it much easier to see what you can and can't attack. We've barely scratched the surface I expect.

Getting withdrawal already!

• Splitting out combat & civic skill points so you no longer feel the need to avoid 'secondary' skills like lore, thieving etc. in preference of your combat skills.
  • Certain abilities are now shared between team members (i.e. Examine will use the ability level of the person most capable regardless of which character uses it, a bit like magic pockets from the first game)
  • When equipping items all members in your team see the same items so you don't have to keep sending them.
  • Conversations highlight which options are due to your specific character or race (I don't think this was in the first one?). In a way it can force you down a particular conversational path to make sure you get all of the Origin story I suppose but you don't have to select those options.
  • Physical/Magical armour - still yet to really get into this but it adds another layer of depth to combat and forces you to better balance your physical/magic damage (I think).
  • Crafting allows you to combine up to 5 items - not sure if this is because there are certain complex recipes or it allows you to make more complex things in one step (rather than making sub components then combining).
  • The area of effect outlines in combat are considerably better than the first game, making it much easier to choose and cast spells without constantly moving the cursor over enemies to see who you can/can't hit.
  • Addition of height in combat has two effects - firstly it makes combat areas more interesting as raised areas, platforms etc. have been added and secondly it adds another layer of strategy to combat. You not only increase damage from higher areas but your range is also massively extended (with a bow at least!).

For anybody who hasn't played either game, don't be tempted to skip the first game for this - I think the improvements are enough that the first game will feel slightly 'worse' by comparison. The first one is a great game and you'll enjoy it a lot more knowing you've got the second one to come! You don't get a lot of local coop RPGs either, if you have someone else to play it with it's even better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VN1X said:

Yeah have been hearing nothing but good things about this one. I'm afraid I've yet to play the first one however, "too many games, too little time" and all that. Should I just skip that and get to this as soon as I have the chance? Would I be missing out? Does DOS2 have matchmaking? 

As per my post above it is definitely worth playing the first one - it's a brilliant game in it's own right but the improvements to the second game would make it feel like a step back if you were to do them in the wrong order. The story in the second game (set 1000 years after the first) does have references to the first game (certainly in the first area) and while they don't appear to impact the story or gameplay, they are 'nice to know'.

I've never really got on with the usual D&D games (Baldurs Gate etc.) but the two Original Sin games are just brilliant.

• Upvote 1

Yarr'd it and played 2 hours then went and bought it in steam, about 12 hours in and I'm loving it, I'll jump into the multiplayer once I'm done with the single player and have a better idea on how everything works together. 

I loved the first game, especially the fact that you can play it with a friend. Me and 3 others have been playing this coop now and it's simply the most rpg fun I have had since, well, the Witcher 3. The amount of freedom, experimentation, content, tactics and laughs, especially when played with others, is unique in the industry. Even the writing and story seem to have been improved.

If this had the BioWare or Bethesda moniker everyone would be singing its praises. The irony is though that it's much better than anything these companies have released in the last 4 years or so.

Any tips for character creation? I'm guessing that the talent (or whatever it's called) Pet Pal is worth taking again. I'm also torn on whether to create a totally new character or use an Origin one. I like the sound of some of the stories for the latter but I dislike being forced into a specific race/gender combination. Beast's background sounds interesting but I almost never play male dwarves. 

1 hour ago, Talk Show Host said:

I loved the first game, especially the fact that you can play it with a friend. Me and 3 others have been playing this coop now and it's simply the most rpg fun I have had since, well, the Witcher 3. The amount of freedom, experimentation, content, tactics and laughs, especially when played with others, is unique in the industry. Even the writing and story seem to have been improved.

If this had the BioWare or Bethesda moniker everyone would be singing its praises. The irony is though that it's much better than anything these companies have released in the last 4 years or so.

Exactly, these are brilliant! I played the original for the first time this year and it's the best game I've played for at least 2 years. What other game can I leave my wife killing a huge troll for an hour while I go and buy some beer, then just jump straight back in.

Definitely pick an Origin character as their stories are better (and the characters more fun). I agree that it's a bit restrictive though, I picked the Red Price but my other half wasn't too taken with the female characters, although she did select one in the end. You can still pick any skills/talents so you don't lose anything there.

Origins is the way to go, at least for the first playthrough. I think they have plenty of choices considering that each has a different main quest you can take and shape the story from his/her perspective. I was expecting just two of them, one male and one female, but we got more. :D

I'd recommend going Origin too and Pet Pal is essential. You're locked to their race and a few personality traits but otherwise you're free to change their default class. There's also an unlimited respec option once you finish Act 1 which is super-useful.

By then you should have a handle on how the class system works and there's loads of cool synergies you can play around with. I have an archer who can sprout wings to move to high ground for a damage multiplier for instance. Or a rogue who can turn an enemy into a chicken then use 'rupture tendons' to damage them when they try to leg it.

I liked the first game enough to put it in my top 10 in the recent forum poll but this is a big step up. The systems-driven design puts most mainstream RPG's to shame.

"Essential" from Eurogamer. Spoilery review, though. Be warned. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-21-divinity-original-sin-2-review

The game foremost in my mind while playing, however, was The Witcher 3.

This isn't because of the setting or Divinity's similar ponderings over morality. It's because I thought it would be many years before I played another RPG that was even close to being that rich with choice and charisma. Original Sin 2 has made me question that belief, and I don't think I could give it a higher accolade.

I don't think I'll ever play an RPG where @Sie pipes up over comms "oh,  hold on a minute, I forgot to eat her leg" again.

For this reason alone D: OS 2 is bestest RPG, never mind the story, graphics and Buddy "I think I love you!" :wub: 

• Upvote 1

Stuck another 5 hours into this yesterday, it's such a ridiculously good game. Already feel like i'm planning out characters for a second play through and we haven't left the first area yet!

We're still in the first area and found

Spoiler

Braccus Rex's Hidden Vault, we managed to kill the Trumpoy guy first time (when there are 3 of him) but couldn't get close on the second fight. We took a punt and one of the characters moved through the dungeon and found his Soul Jar, which was then destroyed killing all of them. It's presumably better to sneak through this bit but none of our characters would have managed that.

I love all the little bits like this that you come across all the time. 

My only slight concern is that the rivalry between the characters will be difficult to play out properly in split screen as you can see what the other character is doing all the time. A small problem though and hopefully won't have much of an impact.

My work ground is playing this quite slowly and getting our arses handed to us, but it's a good team building exercise! On the other hand my friends group are charging through it with no thought for lore or roleplaying but doing a little better thus far. The one thing that's bugging me is there doesn't seem to be any way to see your party members character sheet in multiplayer. I can kind of see why they'd do this, but it would really help to synergize abilities if I could see the other abilities too. We've got a lot of work to do at our first opportunity to respec as we didn't really spread our talents widely enough - we've got three people with two points in bartering and nobody with pet pal :lol: