rllmuk
Goose

John Wick 3: Parabellum - May 2019

On 22/03/2019 at 14:20, Glasgowchivas said:

I remember being quite disappointed by John Wick 2.

Agree. It was boring compared to the first one.

edit: trailer for the third one looks good though.

Just got back from an advance screening of this

Fucking incredible I'm still buzzing!  The best pure action movie this decade for me, bumping Fury Road from the top. 

Theres so many awesome shots and sequences and the ending is a shocker. 

Well done Keanu and Co 

• Upvote 6

Holy shit that was incredible. I was so close to going straight into a second showing it’s THAT good. 

I refuse to believe anyone will find a better movie released this year! It’s like John Wick 1 fucked The Raid 2 and then boom!! they made John Wick 3. It’s the best action movie Hollywood has made in years. 

I will be seeing this again before the weekend!

• Upvote 7

Few random thoughts after seeing this today.

The action sequences are so cleanly shot in this. No fast cuts or ADHD camera work. They are framed perfectly to showcase the talent and beautiful setting on-screen.

I also noticed the guys from The Raid 2 in this as well, who along with Mark Dacascos as Zero, we’re excellent.

This series of films has gone from strength to strength and l doubt they’ll be a better action film this year.

• Upvote 5

I watched John Wick 2 earlier in the week and felt it not so great, so was not expecting much from this.  But holy shit, this is all kinds of awesome isn't it :)

13 hours ago, Bleeders said:

This series of films has gone from strength to strength

I wasn't too keen on the second after the amazing first, but I've heard this is the best of the lot. Can't wait to see it now.

18 hours ago, Bleeders said:

The action sequences are so cleanly shot in this. No fast cuts or ADHD camera work. They are framed perfectly to showcase the talent and beautiful setting on-screen.

Remember twenty years ago, when the impressive thing about Neo's first flurry of punches at Morpheus was that it was a really long time for a Hollywood star to do an uninterrupted string of fight choreography without cutting away?

How quaint those few seconds seem now!

I rewatched the second John Wick film a few days ago. Not sure why so many people found it disappointing or boring; yeah he reused that headlock-headshot move a lot (not sure if he ever does that in Chapter 3), but technically its action was impeccable, I loved the absurd expansion of its world of assassins, the intercutting between Wick's fights with different New York assassins, and Common and Ruby Rose were great opponents. 

As for Chapter 3:

Spoiler

I was so focused on "what choice?" being the line reused from The Matrix that I completely forgot that "Guns. Lots of guns" had been in the trailer!

Did anyone spot any shots where they failed to CGI out Wick's missing finger? I noticed one prominent shot where he was reloading the shotgun where they had made sure it was visibly missing.

The film's climax seemed to be setting up an all-out Continental vs High Table war in Chapter 4, but Winston's betrayal and reinstatement suggests that won't be the case. I expect the next one will bring back Common... but I hope they also add one of either Carrie-Anne Moss, Joe Pantoliano, or Hugo Weaving, to complete the reunion! :D

• Upvote 3

I don't quite get why people consider JW2 to be a weaker movie than the first. It has superior, more varied action scenes (cars, knives, a pencil!), doesn't end with a boring one on one fight against an old dude on the docks, has far superior cinematography and fleshes out the John Wick universe in interesting ways.

That said, 3 is easily the best one. It basically does everything John Wick 2 did but bigger and better. Cool new characters, interesting twists and turns, fantastic cinematography and the best action scenes since The Raid 2. The 

Spoiler

knife/axe/melee fight that opens the movie and the Casablanca set-piece with Halle Berry's character and her dogs

are particularly amazing.

This is easily one of the most consistent action movie series ever in terms of quality.

• Upvote 4

I watched this last night, holy mutha of god; all I can say is good luck topping that 

John Wick: I need guns, lots of guns 

:wub: 

Loved it. My only issue is:

I'd argue that Wick basically ended up exactly how he started at the beginning of the film, so it seemed pointless. The betrayal looked like it was for show.

Warms the cockles of my heart to read all the good vibes from this :)

I absolutely love both of the previous films, so absolutely can't wait to watch the fella.

Might have to give them another viewing to get in the mood :D

I'm actually not a massive fan of JW1, I find it gets tiresome toward the end. I much prefer JW2 which, for me at least, is always re-watchable. Really looking forward to this though.

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

I don't quite get why people consider JW2 to be a weaker movie than the first. It has superior, more varied action scenes (cars, knives, a pencil!), doesn't end with a boring one on one fight against an old dude on the docks, has far superior cinematography and fleshes out the John Wick universe in interesting ways.

Bang on, sir. 

• Upvote 2

I had a couple of extremely minor niggles* with the second film that have been addressed in this one, but my central problem remains: the extended universe of secret assassin societies that was only hinted at in the first film is revealed, when dragged out into the light, to be a complete cringefest crammed full of wankers.

The action has unquestionably improved in each sequel and I enjoyed it, but given the choice to rewatch any of the three I'd still take the first one.

Spoiler

For example: the switch to shotgun in the crypts in JW2 felt really forced to me. I get why they did it, Keanu has put in a shitload of practice and got really good at 3-gun competition shooting, but John would have been a lot better off stashing a few extra clips for the rifle in the crypts rather than a whole other gun that seems significantly less effective than the rifle.

In the latest film there's a good reason for the switch so it still feels like a desperate fight to the death rather than a look-what-I-can-do! demonstration.

The same kind of thing still happens a bit though - I'm betting that Keanu has got really good at disassembling/reassembling revolvers recently.

I assumed this would be average, really excited now. Do I need to see the second one? I mean the first had no plot so I guess I don't?

On 16/05/2019 at 16:35, Wickedkitten said:

the first thing I thought after this is John Wick 4 is going to be amazeballs 

Yes! 

Spoiler

John versus the High Table, hopefully with some cool team-ups, like Sofia and perhaps Cassian.

• Upvote 1

The love for JW2 in here is putting me off heeding some opinions.

Anyone who found JW2 a tedious mess, who actually liked JW3 a lot?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Vemsie said:

The reason people prefer JW1 to JW2 - which I do, a lot - is that it has a far better story arc with a far bigger series of payoffs. As fun as it is, JW1 feels like it carries some weight. The last fight, far from being boring, has a sadness to it, a tragic inevitability that goes well with, well, tragedy. They all had it coming. So, drama. Drama works.

JW2, by comparison, is more like a series of stunts and shootouts that tick all the boxes (cars! knives! a pencil!), but feel dramatically lifeless. And bereft of real (non-visual) direction. Like an episode in an anime series, lacking definition, just a linking piece. And also some of the fights seems to go on too long. The repetition of the action, and the emptiness of the central dramatic thrust, got a little tiresome, which surprised and disappointed me in the flicks the first time round.

I have no doubt JW3 will be better. It has to be. I hope JW2 will be remembered as the slightly awkward transitional piece. Because it sure felt like that at the time, and I'd like to see the payoff now.

Btw, I fucking love JW The First. But if JW3 doesn't surpass the glory of the forthcoming Rocketman in terms of both visceral thrills and emotional connection, I'm throwing in the fucking blood-stained towel and going full rock biopic for my cinematic cheese rations this summer.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

The love for JW2 in here is putting me off heeding some opinions.

Anyone who found JW2 a tedious mess, who actually liked JW3 a lot?

I wouldn't say that 2 is a tedious mess, but it's nowhere near as good as the first one. 3 is amazing though.

• Upvote 1

Loved it! Just like @Super Craig mentioned I had the same issue. Other than that, the action went up x10 and more vicersal and brutal than the last two combined. Halle Berry & the dogs were amazing. Made me wince alot and laugh in awkward horror. Brilliant stuff. I'm suprised the BBFC made this a 15!