rllmuk
Spainkiller

The official rllmuk MCU ranking

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 21:26, womblingfree said:

1. GOTG Vol. 2 - More heart than the first one and even more consistently amazing, mostly because of the ending. The ESB of the MCU.

2. GOTG - I never thought I'd see a better Marvel movie than Avengers, then this came out.

3. Avengers Assemble - Stunning.

4. Ant Man - Very fun. More actually trippy than Dr Strange.

5. Thor: Dark World - I like the elf spaceships.

6. Civil War - Washed out visuals again but I kind of love the espionage angle of the Cap movies.

7. Iron Man - Responsible for starting the whole thing off, resurrecting Robert Downey jr and setting up the MCU. 

8. Iron Man 3 - Really fun I thought. Haters gonna hate.

9. Age of Ultron - Enjoyed this far more on the second viewing. I can imagine this slipping up the ranking with time.

10. The First Avenger - Very decent. Remade as Wonder Woman.

11. WInter Soldier - Good but suffers badly from washed out Marvel movie syndrome.

12. Spiderman homecoming - I just couldn't get a handle on this. Considering it was set in New York it had no sense of place. Birdman saves it.

13. Dr Strange - A marketing executives idea of psychedelia. Fun on the whole but Strange has completely the wrong personality.

14. Thor - Pretty good but looks like it was made for TV.

15. Iron Man 2 - Stuff happens. Mickey Rourke has whips.

16. The Hulk - Not really part of the modern MCU IMO, but hey.

Time to add the new ones and rejiggle the ones that have stayed with me:

1. Infinity War - I think this might just be the best one...It takes all the humour of the best of them, makes the massive set-pieces even more epic and impressive, and then adds some pathos. The new ESB of the MCU.

2. GOTG Vol. 2 - More heart than the first one and even more consistently amazing, mostly because of the ending. The ESB of the MCU.

3. GOTG - I never thought I'd see a better Marvel movie than Avengers, then this came out.

4. Avengers Assemble - Stunning.

5. Thor: Ragnarok - So light hearted and whimsical I'm not sure this will stay here. But also effortlessly fun and funny. Don't remember too much else apart from I really enjoyed it.

6. Civil War - Washed out visuals again but I kind of love the espionage angle of the Cap movies

7. Iron Man 3 - Really fun I thought. Haters gonna hate.

8. Age of Ultron - Enjoyed this far more on the second viewing. I can imagine this slipping up the ranking with time. As I predicted, this has gone up in my estimations with time.

9. Ant Man - Very fun. More actually trippy than Dr Strange.

10. Black Panther - Don't believe the hype, but has some decent bits and a very good baddie performance.

11. Thor: Dark World - I like the elf spaceships.

12. Iron Man - Responsible for starting the whole thing off, resurrecting Robert Downey jr and setting up the MCU. 

13. The First Avenger - Very decent. Remade as Wonder Woman.

14. Winter Soldier - Good but suffers badly from washed out Marvel movie syndrome.

15. Spiderman homecoming - I just couldn't get a handle on this. Considering it was set in New York it had no sense of place. Birdman saves it.

16. Dr Strange - A marketing executives idea of psychedelia. Fun on the whole but Strange has completely the wrong personality.

17. Thor - Pretty good but looks like it was made for TV.

18. Iron Man 2 - Stuff happens. Mickey Rourke has whips.

19. The Hulk - Not really part of the modern MCU IMO, but hey.

Gonna add the TV shows too:

1. Legion - The best Marvel TV show and one of the best TV shows full stop. Everything Dr Strange should have been. (Outside the MCU though I presume, and all the better for it).

2. Jessica Jones - Gritty, foul mouthed, kick-arse anti-hero which avoids the kitsch and tacky pitfalls the other lesser shows fall for.

3. Luke Cage - With one caveat. It has the worst showdown season finale costume decision since 70's Wonder Woman. Luke himself is pretty dry also but a great supporting cast.

4. Daredevil - This gets above Punisher due to the strength of all the characters, except Daredevil. Kingpin elevates it to greatness in Season one, and likewise Punisher in Season Two. Foggy and Karen also put in a good show, Elektra for all her wooden acting is pretty good too. Worst ninjas in history though, and like I said, Daredevil himself is the worst thing in it.  

5. Punisher - Brutal. Punisher is by far a better character than Daredevil but the supporting cast are unmemorable and the show can't maintain its thrills for an entire season as a result. Enjoyable for the most part.

6. Iron Fist - All over the place but I still enjoyed it. Tonally shifts from whimsical kids TV to brutal murder at the drop of a hat. The worst fight choreography since The Fall Guy.

7. Agents of Shield - Never really got into this. Should I? Reminded me of an 80's TV show for kids.

Not seen any others...

• Upvote 2

Decided to rewatch all of these in order. Just finished the 5th film, Captain America : The First Avenger. 

I had forgotten how bad Iron Man 2 was. It’s an awful movie, so bad it could’ve put an end to the whole MCU universe. 

On 24/05/2018 at 14:13, womblingfree said:

Time to add the new ones and rejiggle the ones that have stayed with me:

1. Infinity War - I think this might just be the best one...It takes all the humour of the best of them, makes the massive set-pieces even more epic and impressive, and then adds some pathos. The new ESB of the MCU.

2. GOTG Vol. 2 - More heart than the first one and even more consistently amazing, mostly because of the ending. The ESB of the MCU.

3. GOTG - I never thought I'd see a better Marvel movie than Avengers, then this came out.

4. Avengers Assemble - Stunning.

5. Thor: Ragnarok - So light hearted and whimsical I'm not sure this will stay here. But also effortlessly fun and funny. Don't remember too much else apart from I really enjoyed it.

6. Civil War - Washed out visuals again but I kind of love the espionage angle of the Cap movies

7. Iron Man 3 - Really fun I thought. Haters gonna hate.

8. Age of Ultron - Enjoyed this far more on the second viewing. I can imagine this slipping up the ranking with time. As I predicted, this has gone up in my estimations with time.

9. Ant Man - Very fun. More actually trippy than Dr Strange.

10. Black Panther - Don't believe the hype, but has some decent bits and a very good baddie performance.

11. Thor: Dark World - I like the elf spaceships.

12. Iron Man - Responsible for starting the whole thing off, resurrecting Robert Downey jr and setting up the MCU. 

13. The First Avenger - Very decent. Remade as Wonder Woman.

14. Winter Soldier - Good but suffers badly from washed out Marvel movie syndrome.

15. Spiderman homecoming - I just couldn't get a handle on this. Considering it was set in New York it had no sense of place. Birdman saves it.

16. Dr Strange - A marketing executives idea of psychedelia. Fun on the whole but Strange has completely the wrong personality.

17. Thor - Pretty good but looks like it was made for TV.

18. Iron Man 2 - Stuff happens. Mickey Rourke has whips.

19. The Hulk - Not really part of the modern MCU IMO, but hey.

Gonna add the TV shows too:

1. Legion - The best Marvel TV show and one of the best TV shows full stop. Everything Dr Strange should have been. (Outside the MCU though I presume, and all the better for it).

2. Jessica Jones - Gritty, foul mouthed, kick-arse anti-hero which avoids the kitsch and tacky pitfalls the other lesser shows fall for.

3. Luke Cage - With one caveat. It has the worst showdown season finale costume decision since 70's Wonder Woman. Luke himself is pretty dry also but a great supporting cast.

4. Daredevil - This gets above Punisher due to the strength of all the characters, except Daredevil. Kingpin elevates it to greatness in Season one, and likewise Punisher in Season Two. Foggy and Karen also put in a good show, Elektra for all her wooden acting is pretty good too. Worst ninjas in history though, and like I said, Daredevil himself is the worst thing in it.  

5. Punisher - Brutal. Punisher is by far a better character than Daredevil but the supporting cast are unmemorable and the show can't maintain its thrills for an entire season as a result. Enjoyable for the most part.

6. Iron Fist - All over the place but I still enjoyed it. Tonally shifts from whimsical kids TV to brutal murder at the drop of a hat. The worst fight choreography since The Fall Guy.

7. Agents of Shield - Never really got into this. Should I? Reminded me of an 80's TV show for kids.

Not seen any others...

Winter Soldier 14th is actual insanity.

• Upvote 8

A thread about objectively correct opinions and I've not taken part? All is not well with the world. And you can tell I wasn't involved, because the results are wrong. Unlike a certain master of the mystic arts I can't turn back time and fix things, but I figure I may as well put my thoughts down. 

With the major caveat that I've not seen Spider-Man: Homecoming (we want to see it, but just haven't got around to it yet), and that I'm discounting Hulk entirely because it just feels like it belongs to an entirely different series (but if I did count it, it would be jostling for bottom of the list), here's the actual, 100% accurate list of rankings, from worst to best:

17. Iron Man 2 - this was atrocious. All noise and no substance, and only made worse by the fact that it followed up what had been a solid introduction to the character. 

16. Thor: Dark World - on the subject of disappointing sequels - from the delight of Thor to this. The worst villain of any of the films, and Thor somehow written as dull. Unadulterated meh.

15. Iron Man 3 - I still can't quite understand how a film which opens with Eiffel 65 can turn out to be awful, but there we go. Just drab, with unbelievable character motivations and dreary action. The Mandarin (and aforementioned Eiffel 65) are solitary highlights. I say this with confidence, as I can barely remember anything else about the film.

14. Age of Ultron - fortunately, with this we're into decent territory. This has amusing moments (I still have a fondness for the running mjolnir gag/payoff); a settled, likeable cast; and a reasonable villain. It's fine.

13. Dr Strange - surprisingly, I warmed to Cumberbatch's performance, accent and all. I liked that they kept Strange an arsehole throughout, enjoyed Swinton's and Mikkelson's turns, and didn't mind the sub-Inception* trippiness. The film did feel bitty, with both scenes and the time between scenes feeling all too abrupt, and I wonder that an extra twenty minutes might have gone a long way. But for its flaws, I enjoyed it.

12. Civil War - a bit of a mixed bag, this one - the conflict felt forced and it suffered for that. Otherwise, however, this was a suitably dramatic film with enjoyable action sequences, which introduced two great new characters and gave one a surprisingly good character arc despite limited screen time.

11. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 - this was good! It's just, not as good as the first, even with the inclusion of one of my personal favourite actors as the villain. Plenty of gags, a credible threat, some touching moments, but it just never felt quite as funny to me as the first - whether that was down to the somewhat more serious storyline not quite meshing with the humour, or simply due to the fact that the 'bickering morons fighting evil' shtick is bound to wear thin reasonably quickly and/or works best when said morons are not already joined at the hip, I'm not sure.

10. Infinity War - I really liked this! Just, not as much as others. I found myself getting whiplash from the comedy/drama mood-swings, and it suffered greatly from needing to cram every sodding character into its running time, but in all I found it affecting and entertaining in equal measure. Thanos is a very satisfying villain.

9. Thor - this and the next two films are all within spitting distance of one-another. Funny, leans into its absurdity and appreciates just how much of Thor's appeal comes from him being a massive fish out of water goofball. Great hero, great villain, happily over the top performances all around, this was great.

8. Iron Man - thank god this came out around the same time as the atrocity that we don't mention. A great introduction to the character, plus the pleasure of seeing Rubber Ducky continue his rise and rise following Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Good villain, good hero, good jokes, good story. Set the design pattern for most of the MCU.

7. Ant Man - a dorky heist movie, and all the better for it. I really wasn't sure what to expect of this in its lead up, and was delighted when it turned out to be an endearingly goofy piece of fluff. Very silly, very enjoyable.

6. Avengers Assemble - I loved this when it came out, so much so I saw it in the cinema repeatedly (with different people, I hasten to add). But, on balance, it's not quite my favourite film of Phase One - undermined as it is by an ostensibly terrible enemy that are suffering from the worst case of Stormtrooper aim I've ever seen. Still, plenty of great lines, a very satisfying bringing together of the previous films' characters (plus unveiling of new ones), and all in all a great spectacle.

5. Guardians Of The Galaxy - despite leaning more heavily on the action than Ant Man's purer comedy, this delivered funnier moments, right down to the finish line. An incredibly confident way to introduce a ragtag band of morally-questionable heroes, the film not only benefits from great humour, but from some fantastic visual and audio design, comfortably the MCU film that pleases me most on an aesthetic level. Great stuff.

4. Black Panther - astonishingly managing to get into the top five despite the presence of a particularly insufferable Martin Freeman, this was just a film packed to the gills with great characters, heroic and villainous. The gadgets of a Bond film combined with a sympathetic villain and an actually likeable protagonist,** I enjoyed every minute of the film.***

3. Captain America: The First Avenger - this one blindsided me. The hero whose film I was least interested in seeing turned out to be the highlight of Phase One. With its plucky earnestness it works for exactly the same reasons that the Rocketeer works, albeit gifted with an even more charismatic lead and considerably more budget. Eminently likeable, doesn't suffer from the threat-level bloat that later films get, this is almost certainly the best standalone film of the set.

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - along with Dark World and Iron Man 3 this was part of a wave of films which sought to turn their fluffy previous films onto a darker path. Unlike Dark World and Iron Man 3, it manages to not be shit while doing so; far from it, in fact. The best Jason Bourne movie ever made, this is the film in the series which most engaged me from start to finish. The least funny film in the MCU (though it has its moments), it works where DW and IM3 failed by understanding its main character and using his naivety and idealism to heighten the drama and seriousness of the events contained within. A great film.

1. Thor: Ragnarok - And by contrast, here's the funniest film in the MCU. Deftly balancing a heavy story with brilliant absurdity, as with the above film this leans into its protagonist's personality to secure its heart and humour despite the darkness. Every character in this is brilliantly written and performed, and it all just comes together perfectly. Even if they did promptly do an Alien 3 to it with Infinity War, the bastards. The moral of this story: get more antipodeans involved on both sides of the camera, please.

Incidentally, if you were to ask me on another day I could easily see any of the top 6 swapping places. I'm fickle.

*or sub-sub-Paprika

**something every Bond film has lacked since Timothy Dalton exited stage left

***minutes where Martin Freeman is talking excepted

• Upvote 6

Top Tier MCU are Thor Ragnarok, Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Avengers Assemble and Infinity War. Maybe first GOTG too. 

The rest are roughly on par with each other except Thor Dark World and Iron Man 2, both of which are so awful we should never speak of them again. 

I think its got the point there there are so many films, ranking them individually is too hard - So I am going to go with tiers.

Top Tier

Infinity War

GotG

GotG2

Ragnarok

Ant Man

Avengers Assemble

Civil War

Iron Man

Mid Tier

Spider man Homecoming

Dr Strange

Thor

Ant Man and the Wasp

Winter Soldier

Iron Man 3

Captain America

Bottom Tier

Iron Man 2

Black Panther

The Incredible Hulk

Age of Ultron

Thor 2

• Upvote 2

On 06/11/2017 at 17:21, mansizerooster said:

Ok here's my current ranking, which contradicts the pictured ranking I gave before, but there you go:

1: Captain America: Civil War

2: Avengers Assemble

3: Iron Man

4: Guardians of the Galaxy

5: Captain America: Winter Soldier

6: Spider-Man: Homecoming

7: Thor Ragnarok

8: Ant-Man

9: Dr Strange

10: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

11: Avengers: Age of Ultron

12: Iron Man 2

13: Incredible Hulk

14: Captain America: The First Avenger

15: Thor

16: Iron Man 3

17: Thor: Dark World

My updated ranking. There's been some minor moves, most notably GotG vol2:

1: Captain America: Civil War

2: Avengers: Infinity War

3: Avengers Assemble

4: Captain America: Winter Soldier

5: Iron Man

6: Guardians of the Galaxy

7: Spider-Man: Homecoming

8: Thor Ragnarok

9: Black Panther

10: Ant-Man

11: Dr Strange

12: Ant-Man and the Wasp

13: Avengers: Age of Ultron

14: Iron Man 2

15: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 

16: Captain America: The First Avenger

17: Incredible Hulk

18: Thor

19: Iron Man 3

20: Thor: Dark World

On 08/08/2018 at 10:24, PeteBrant said:

I think its got the point there there are so many films, ranking them individually is too hard - So I am going to go with tiers.

Top Tier

Infinity War

GotG

GotG2

Ragnarok

Ant Man

Avengers Assemble

Civil War

Iron Man

Mid Tier

Spider man Homecoming

Dr Strange

Thor

Ant Man and the Wasp

Winter Soldier

Iron Man 3

Captain America

Bottom Tier

Iron Man 2

Black Panther

The Incredible Hulk

Age of Ultron

Thor 2

Swap winter soldier and gotg2 around and that list is perfect.

Prompted by @JPL's post in the Endgame thread... where does the new one slot into people's rankings?

In my case, my list's order has changed somewhat since my post on the first page:

https://boxd.it/fAc4

Endgame appears very highly - but that's while I'm still basking in its fan-servicy afterglow; it may well be turn out to be one of those that drops over time like Civil War (the novelty of its airport clash has worn off), Doctor Strange (not as impressive on the small screen, though the Ancient One's farewell scene is beautifully done), or GOTG (which is still great, but on a rewatch last week I found its jokes didn't stand up to familiarity as well as some others).

Conversely, The First Avenger has only gone up in my estimation as time's gone on; elevated by association with subsequent films, as Chris Evans' perfect casting has become more apparent over the years - that easily overrides any concerns about Bucky or the third act climax. I also feel bad keeping the first Ant-Man down that low.

I need to rewatch End Game again before I decide where it sits.

I did rewatch Infinity War today for the first time since watching it twice at the cinema - still amazing and it’s wasily number one for me.

So having spent the last week rewatching all of the MCU movies (courtesy of Disney Deluxe), here is the definitive ranking:

Top Tier

Spider-Man Homecoming

Ant-Man

Guardians of the Galaxy

Thor: Ragnarok

Captain America: The First Avenger

Ant-Man and the Wasp

Mid Tier

Civil War

Winter Soldier

Captain Marvel

Avengers assemble

Infinity War and Endgame

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Thor

Black Panther

Doctor Strange

Thor Dark World

Bottom Tier

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3

iron Man

Age of Ultron

I like them all though, even in spite of the boring second-half CGI fest that seems to be a characteristic of almost all of them. It's interesting how Age of Ultron - which seems to be universally perceived as one of the poorest movies - sets up so many of the character dynamics that manage to elevate Infinity War and Endgame above mediocrity; and the Iron Man films only fare poorly when viewed against later films, which rely on the heavy lifting done by those Iron Man films (and Ben Kingsley remains one of the high points of the entire series for me - "They say his Lear was the toast of Croydon, wherever that is...").

Would watch again.

• Downvote 3

5 hours ago, Tourist said:

I like them all though, even in spite of the boring second-half CGI fest that seems to be a characteristic of almost all of them. It's interesting how Age of Ultron - which seems to be universally perceived as one of the poorest movies - sets up so many of the character dynamics that manage to elevate Infinity War and Endgame above mediocrity; and the Iron Man films only fare poorly when viewed against later films, which rely on the heavy lifting done by those Iron Man films (and Ben Kingsley remains one of the high points of the entire series for me - "They say his Lear was the toast of Croydon, wherever that is...").

Would watch again.

I watched Iron Man 3 in the Croydon Vue on opening night, and the cheers in the room almost lifted the roof off at that line!

• Upvote 1

I've not seen The Incredible Hulk or Captain Marvel, but my rankings are as follows:

Avengers: Endgame

Avengers: Infinity War

Civil War

Ant Man

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Black Panther

Guardians of the Galaxy

Ant Man and The Wasp

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Thor

Dr Strange

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Avengers Assemble

Spiderman: Homecoming

Captain America: The First Avenger

Iron Man

Thor: Dark World

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3

I've only seen the vast majority of them once - I really should go through them all again, but no idea how many are on Sky Movies/Netflix/Amazon Prime at the moment!!  I think I'd get a lot more from them on a 2nd viewing.

Guardians of the Galaxy   10

Avengers: Infinity War     9

Avengers Assemble    9

Avengers: Endgame     9

Spiderman: Homecoming    9

Captain America: The Winter Soldier    9

Thor: Ragnarok    8

Civil War    7

Ant Man    7

Thor    7

Iron Man    7

Iron Man 3    7

The Incredible  Hulk    6

Avengers: Age of Ultron    6

Captain America: The First Avenger    6

Guardians of the Galaxy 2    5

Dr Strange    4

Iron Man 2    3

Thor: Dark World    2

Haven't seen Black Panther, Ant Man and The Wasp or Captain Marvel.

Updated ranking

Avengers Infinity War

Avengers Endgame

Captain America: Civil War

Avengers Assemble

Captain America: Winter Soldier

Guardians of the Galaxy

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Iron Man

Dr Strange

Captain America: the First Avenger

Ant-Man

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2

Black Panther

Ant-Man and the Wasp

Captain Marvel

Avengers Age of Ultron

Thor

Thor: the Dark World

Iron Man 3

The Incredible Hulk

Iron Man 2

I could see Endgame moving down a little on repeat viewings. There's an awful lot about it I like, it has so much heart and let's the film have moments of emotion where others would move on, it has some of the best crowd pleasing moments in the series, it has some very good action (though not as much as you'd expect) and some lovely nods for fans - the Cap elevator scene is an excellent bit of writing for such a simple idea for instance. But there's a few things I like less - the development of Thor I don't like, the fundamental plot is one of those things you have to go with and is one of those plots that for many feels like a cop out (but I think we inescapable here), it's a less cohesive feeling film than Infinity War, I despise the Fortnite gag, and the female lead gauntlet relay is a really good and right thought done with the subtlety of a pneumatic drill, Thanos is much more an afterthought here unfortunately. But it's bloody good all the same.

I didn't think that much of Captain Marvel. It's not bad (I'd say the only genuinely bad film they've made is Iron Man 2, others I like less or felt disappointed, but they're not objectively bad), but there's nothing that I really loved about it. In fairness I don't like the character so it was a hiding to nothing, but I felt like an awful lot of it felt very forced, quite a bit of it fell flat for me. I liked some of the ideas but then it has stuff it plays up as a twist that you've seen coming from the first scene of the film. It's a really middling entry that personally was less enjoyable than some of its brethren of similar quality.

• Upvote 2

Upper Tier

The Avengers : Infinity War / Endgame 

The Avengers

Guardians of the Galaxy 

Captain America : The Winter Soldier

Thor : Ragnarok

Captain America : Civil War

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Spider-Man : Homecoming

Captain Marvel

Ant-Man

Ant-Man and The Wasp

- - - 

Mid Tier

The Avengers : Age of Ultron

Doctor Strange

Black Panther

Ironman

Captain America : The First Avenger 

Thor

Thor : The Dark World

- - - 

Meh Tier

Ironman 2

Ironman 3 

The Incredible Hulk

Best: Avengers, Winter Soldier, Infinity War

Good: Guardians, Age of Ultron, Ant Man, Civil War

Ok: Captain America, Iron Man

Meh: Doctor Strange, Homecoming, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Endgame

As you can see the Cap and Avengers series are where it’s mostly at for me. I seem to have avoided all the truly bad ones. Want to check out Guardians 2 and Ragnarok but that’ll do I think.