Sign in to follow this  
CovisGod

Gotta catch em' all

I've decided that I'm going to try and play through all previous Pokemon's again and catch them all, myself. I want to play all the way through Red, Blue etc. All the way to Sun and Moon and complete the National Pokedex without trading.

Im expecting it's going to take a long time but ill report back to this thread with how I'm getting on and which games I'm on, and using which console.

Tomorrow I start Pokemon Red on Virtual Console on my 2DS XL.

Wish me luck....

• Upvote 5

Ahh Red, good memories. I remember picking it up on import from CeX before it officially arrived over here and sinking at least 60 hours into it on my Gameboy Light. Couldn't have done much good for my vision. :lol:

• Upvote 1

So this didn't really go to plan, due to the games being a lot harder to get hold of than I imagined considering they made a billion of them I'm starting from Sun and Moon and working back, I've already bought Yellow on virtual console and Gold is out at the end of the month.

If you ever see anyone selling any of the GBA Pokemons think of me :)

I've put about 17 hours in to Sun so far and have 72 of the 802 (not counting Mega Evolutions or Aloha Variants) so I'm close......ish ! 

I today "Completed" Pokemon Sun (to the point where the credits rolled, not catching them all) I've managed to put 25 hours in this week and have caught 115 of the 802 Pokemon,

Ill be there before you know it :)

On 9/1/2017 at 17:28, CovisGod said:

I've decided that I'm going to try and play through all previous Pokemon's again and catch them all, myself. I want to play all the way through Red, Blue etc. All the way to Sun and Moon and complete the National Pokedex without trading.

Nice little project and should be pretty good fun, but is this actually possible?

I mean, to fill the 'dex on Red / Blue you'd need 2 copies of the game, and to play a substantial way through it multiple times since you pick a starter, and leave the other 2, then pick a legendary but leave the other one etc.  Traded Pokemon level up quicker too from what I remember, so they would evolve quicker.  I'd imagine the quickest way to do it would be a bit of a drag...  Start games from the same series concurrent, choosing different starters.  Once trading is available, shift stuff over to the  main copy of the game so it levels quicker, and evolves quicker, and also to give you the unique 'mons.  

Or am I just not understanding the National part of National Pokedex?

My wife and I spoke about doing this on red / blue way back when, but decided against it as it seemed too much of a sacrifice for one of our carts ;)

Yeah it's going to be a slog but you've got to think you've got multiple games with the same Pokedex so Red on the GB is the same as FireRed on the GBA etc. So I won't have to start the exact same game multiple times, you could get all 3 starters from Red and Blue in Yellow for example.

My goal is to have all 802 Pokemon in the National Dex with "Tommy" as the Original Trainer. I actually really enjoy the grind, I love having something to work towards, I know it's fairly sad but the sense of acheievemnt when I can actually say I have "Caught them all" will be something.

I actually did it on the Omega Ruby set of games but only through trading, never all caught by myself so this is a whole new task and one that so far I am thoroughly enjoying

• Upvote 1

Want peoples opinions....

Is this cheating or have I found a legit loophole ? My idea was that I wanted to complete the entire Pokedex with 100% Pokemon caught by myself so they all have "Tommy" as original trainer....

So I figured out If I trade and let's say get two Charmanders, one male and one female, wait until I get an egg, hatch it, then that Level 1 baby Charmander has Tommy as OT, now is that cheating or would you say I can get away with that ?

Bit of an update on this, I think I'm probably at about 600 Pokemon caught with me as the OT. I've got games from every gen so I can catch Pokemon from as far back as the Gba Games and transfer them to Pokrmon Bank. I've literally got 100s of Shinys, Event Pokemon, Tons of Level 100s, pretty much every Legendary caught by myself. 

I've also set up a bit of a breeding service, if anyone playing needs any Pokemon breeding I'm your man, I can even provide a male and female of pretty much any Pokemon including all the starters from every Gen so you can breed them yourselves and be the OT of their offspring. 

I think given another 3 or 4 months I'll have one of every Pokemon, trained by myself in my Pokemon bank, and thousands of others besides. 

• Upvote 2

Certainly a tough challenge to get them all, as so many of them like Mew and Celebi on Yellow and Gold, Silver being event, glitch or extreme tough to find. Pokemon Channel gave you a Jirachi on the PAL version when completed and linked with a GBA as I recall.

Good Luck with this, hope you are able to finish it soon.

I'm lost. I was playing Fire Red on GBA and despite usually enjoying a bit of a grind I was getting the same stuff over and over and over again and it just wasn't going anywhere for some reason. Plus is there a point where the master guy lets you just go out and hunt/use Pokemon a la free roam, or is there a strict story to them? I like the idea of finding, training and fighting but if its all locked into a rigid progression 'story' that's not quite so good. Sorry for the ignorance.

It's a fairly linear story, areas are always locked behind items or special moves that you get as you progress, and if you level up too high your Pokémon will simply not obey you. I always wanted an open world Pokémon game, but it's never going to happen.

Only traded Pokemon won't obey you, caught Pokemon always will. My rule of thumb when starting a new game is to get my original Mon up to level 20 before I even leave the opening village, its a massive grind for the first 5 hours but then the rest of the game is less of a chore., then get yourself Exp Share and your main Mon with False Swipe and you're laughing 

So what's a good one to play if I don't want to do the lot? Are the GB/GBA ones generally okay or is it best to just skip to a modern one?

They are all still massively playable, I started playing Yellow which was Gen one on Virtual Console the other day and couldn't believe how playable it still is. 

If I was looking for a gateway into Pokemon games I'd probably try the 3 3DS titles in order, so X and Y, Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby, Sun and Moon. 

• Upvote 1