Jump to content
Don Rosco

Joker origin film - Joaquin Phoenix Confirmed

Recommended Posts

http://deadline.com/2017/08/the-joker-origin-movie-todd-phillips-martin-scorsese-scott-silver-batman-dc-universe-1202154053/

 

Quote

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros and DC are in the early stages of another Batman Universe spinoff movie, this one telling the origin story of the signature villain The Joker. The studio has set The Hangover‘s Todd Phillips to co-write a script with 8 Mile scribe Scott Silver. Phillips will direct the movie, and Martin Scorsese will produce it with Phillips. This will be the first film under a new banner that has yet to be named in which WB can expand the canon of DC properties and create unique storylines with different actors playing the iconic characters.

 

:omg:

 

No matter how this one goes, the thought of more DC films outside of the snyderverse is good news.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're also pushing forward with the Joker/Harley movie, which will be a sort of semi-sequel/spin off from Suicide Squad. 

 

That movie is part of the DCCU but the Joker origin movie, isn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the core aspects of the character is he has no defined origin story. There have been a few interpretations of it in the comics, but no origin is defined as canon. 

I genuinely despair at the individuals over at WB who are coming up with this garbage. They clearly have zero understanding of any of the characters and are just trying to sell films based on the more popular characters, regardless of the ridiculous concept they come up with to push it.

 

It just comes across as completely fake, and for me is a big part of why films like Suicide Squad were a flop. I don't like to compare Marvel to DC often, but one of Marvel's biggest strengths and reasons for the success of their universe, is they completely understand their characters and where they fit in the universe. It's almost as if they have some kind of....plan.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Goose said:

They're also pushing forward with the Joker/Harley movie, which will be a sort of semi-sequel/spin off from Suicide Squad. 

 

That movie is part of the DCCU but the Joker origin movie, isn't. 

Worth noting that the semi-sequel will again star Leto as the Joker. 

1 minute ago, Rocafella said:

 

 

It just comes across as completely fake, and for me is a big part of why films like Suicide Squad were a flop.

I thought it did quite well? Sure, everybody agrees that it's shit, but I thought Suicide Squad et al were very profitable for WB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DirkCrisis said:

Surely the point of the Joker (or at least Heath Ledger's version) was that you don't know why he is who he is as he changes the origin story every time he tells it.

 

I think there's a fairly established origin story at this point, isn't there? (Not that it wouldn't be retconned to pieces):

 



Wannabe comedian called Jack Napier is down on his luck, wife ridicules him, he's conned into being a Red Hood decoy at an Acme robbery, and then falls in the goop.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's one of many potential origin stories but, as others have said, you don't know which, if any, are real and they've often gone out of their way to keep it that way, positioning him as an unreliable narrator of his own history. It's one of the core concepts and best things about the joker. You have genuinely no idea who he is or where he's come from. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

That's one of many potential origin stories but, as others have said, you don't know which, if any, are real and they've often gone out of their way to keep it that way, positioning him as an unreliable narrator of his own history. It's one of the core concepts and best things about the joker. You have genuinely no idea who he is or where he's come from. 

 

Yeah, but that the version that's been riffed on since the 50s.

 

The Ledger 'unreliable narrator' stuff doesn't quite have that much heritage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, schmojo said:

 

Yeah, but that the version that's been riffed on since the 50s.

 

The Ledger 'unreliable narrator' stuff doesn't quite have that much heritage.

It does, the unreliable narrator concept for the Joker was introduced and immediately popularized in The Killing Joke, which appeared in 1988. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either way, it doesn't really matter. This film doesn't need to be made and any attempt to legitimise the Joker's backstory only ends up further diminishing him.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could maybe understand it if they portrayed it as something genuinely scary. An R rated horror. (Although that would be better used for Zsasz.)

 

Then it could be used as a lens to watch every other Joker performance through, if you choose.

 

One thing I took from Logan (and I think they intended) is that Wolverine's excursions were always that gory and existentially draining, and the other films represented a 'sanitised retelling'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

Surely the point of the Joker (or at least Heath Ledger's version) was that you don't know why he is who he is as he changes the origin story every time he tells it.

 

That's why they're going to make five origin movies. :sherlock:

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I thought it did quite well? Sure, everybody agrees that it's shit, but I thought Suicide Squad et al were very profitable for WB?

 

Yep it made them a fortune: $745,600,054. Produced on a budget of $175 million

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Leto's Joker, the origin story will probably be him growing up as Timothy Blitheon Umplethorn III. But after scratching daddy's classic Bentley in a desperate cry for help after a highly unreasonable ticking off from Mummy Umplethorn for repeatedly punching a gardener that didn't dance for coins, poor Timothy is sent packing to boarding school with only a meagre $50m trust fund waiting for him at the end of it.

 

The world is a rotten place.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

 

Yep it made them a fortune: $745,600,054. Produced on a budget of $175 million

 

 

!

 

Fucking hell, the mind boggles...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mr Cochese said:

The Joker is actually Batman from the future after an accident in a spraypaint-factory-cum-secret-time-machine-station leaves him disfigured and insane.

That explains why The Jokes never kills Batman, cause otherwise he wouldn't exist. 

 

giphy.gif

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mr Cochese said:

The Joker is actually Batman from the future after an accident in a spraypaint-factory-cum-secret-time-machine-station leaves him disfigured and insane.

 

Hang on, that can't be right!

 

... Alfred is the Joker, as any fule kno.

 

KDrTFoB.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.