Don Rosco

Joker origin film - Joaquin Phoenix Confirmed

What's the point of releasing such a video?

Anyway, the basic premise is so inherently flawed (telling the definitive origin of the Joker, thus removing one of the aspects that makes the character intriguing and scary) that I wouldn't expect anything good from it even if it were made by a competent studio and overseen by execs who give a fuck about the source material.

• Upvote 5

It demonstrates a certain lack of commitment if they're going ahead with making this film, but not calling it The Joaqer.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Anyway, the basic premise is so inherently flawed (telling the definitive origin of the Joker, thus removing one of the aspects that makes the character intriguing and scary) that I wouldn't expect anything good from it even if it were made by a competent studio and overseen by execs who give a fuck about the source material.

The Dark Knight provides the perfect back story: one that's made up, in all new horrifying detail, every time he's asked. I think Joaquin Phoenix is great but this seems incredibly pointless.

• Upvote 5

On 25/08/2017 at 00:14, deerokus said:

By the director of the hangover... 

I wasn't aware of the director and had a look through his CV. Jeebus he's done some shite

Warner execs have no clue do they ?!

• Upvote 1

Two post Nolan DC films starring a Joker.

Three post Nolan DC films starring Batman.

The one film they are both in has them interacting for about 10 seconds of Batman's 1 minute appearance.

Although I assume Phoenix Joker will meet child Bruce Wayne in a terrible scene in this new one.

What is the point? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

What if it’s a flashback from an unreliable narrator?

5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It's a public cam from somewhere near the set isn't it? Nothing official. Just Daily Mail passing off a youtube link under their name as an exclusive as usual. Says official in the tweet but that's a lie.

After Alec Baldwin was very briefly in the role, Thomas Wayne will now be played by Brett Cullen. He seems to have been mostly in TV roles.

"Principal photography has begun on Warner Bros. Pictures’ Joker, starring Oscar nominee Joaquin Phoenix in the title role, alongside Oscar winner Robert De Niro, and directed, produced and co-written by Oscar nominee Todd Phillips," Warner Bros. said in a press release.

"Joker centers around the iconic arch nemesis and is an original, standalone story not seen before on the big screen. Phillips’ exploration of Arthur Fleck (Phoenix), a man disregarded by society, is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.

"The film also stars Zazie Beetz (Deadpool 2), Bill Camp (Red Sparrow, Molly’s Game), Frances Conroy (American Horror Story, Castle Rock), Brett Cullen (42, Narcos), Glenn Fleshler (Billions, Barry), Douglas Hodge (Red Sparrow, Penny Dreadful), Marc Maron (Maron, GLOW), Josh Pais (Motherless Brooklyn, Going in Style), and Shea Whigham (First Man, Kong: Skull Island).

"Phillips (The Hangover trilogy) directs from a screenplay he co-wrote with writer Scott Silver (The Fighter), based on characters from DC. The film is being produced by Phillips and Bradley Cooper under their Joint Effort banner, and Emma Tillinger Koskoff. It is executive produced by Richard Baratta, Joseph Garner and Bruce Berman.

"Behind the scenes, Phillips is joined by director of photography Lawrence Sher (upcoming Godzilla: King of the Monsters, The Hangover trilogy), production designer Mark Friedberg (Selma, The Amazing Spider-Man 2), editor Jeff Groth (War Dogs, The Hangover Part III), and Oscar-winning costume designer Mark Bridges (Phantom Thread, The Artist).

...not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.

Maybe society will finally recognise the issue of people falling into vats of chemicals and turning into psychopathic clowns who stage elaborate crimes.

Also the Joker's real name is A.Fleck. Taking the two sides of the same coin thing a bit far. :wacko:

1 hour ago, Ork1927 said:

Hang on De Niro is in this? Not that really means anything anymore.

Getting a feeling that we'll end up with a film that'll be borrowing from Brian Azzarello's Joker, The Killing Joke and The King of Comedy.

I was going to say what are the chances of I Started A Joke being played on the trailer before remembering they did that for Suicide Squad. Missed a beat there. They've always got some grumbling piano rock cover of That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore or Ha Ha, Said The Clown, I suppose.

On 17/09/2018 at 17:54, Ork1927 said:

Two post Nolan DC films starring a Joker.

Three post Nolan DC films starring Batman.

The one film they are both in has them interacting for about 10 seconds of Batman's 1 minute appearance.

Although I assume Phoenix Joker will meet child Bruce Wayne in a terrible scene in this new one.

What is the point? 

Because they don’t want to blow the pay-off of a Batman v Joker movie without setting up a Cinematic Universe first. ie. they’re idiots.

Yeah that latest video test is all I needed, that eyebrow twitch at the end :wub: Reminds me of those little similar things Ledger added, it's so vital for giving edge/humanity to such a character.

That said it's clear what this film is, it's obviously not going to be a big mainstream hit. It's going to be a small character study that is liked by many critics but gets a lot of negative attention from cinema going public who were expecting something else. I fully expect him not to get into the full paint job until at least a hour into the film.

It's going to be 'Arrival' but for the superhero genre.

23 hours ago, JohnC said:

Now Joker has makeup

Oh boy, that little eyebrow raise at the end is one of the greatest little things I've seen in a long time.

He's not recognizable in the makeup, i didn't think Heath was either. I think Joaquin is the most talented actor alive and will transform with ease. He was staggering in The Master. Paul Thomas Anderson didn't write an awful lot of the damaged quality Joaquin brought to that character, like how he just stands and walks.

I liked War Dogs more than most people, but it kind of showed the ceiling Todd Phillips will hit as a director with what most people who have read the book reckon is a far more incredible story than what he brought to the screen. I think Lord of War is better and the outstanding opening scene is the kind of thing Phillips seems incapable of coming up with. He really lacks imagination and flair but seems to get the basics mostly right. War Dogs isn't spectacular but solid and the performances and central relationship was engaging enough for me to care until the end.

This Joker film being solid but unremarkable with incredible lead performance is fine for me !

The early footage of Heath as the Joker was one of the most exciting things. I didn't know De Caprio was connected to the role, just heard that. Almost would prefer to see that, even if Joaquin is better suited, as we've seen Phoenix play damaged before, but with De Caprio we haven't really. Vicious as Calvin Candie but not in the same way as the Joker. I can't imagine how he'd do it.

There's nothing on imdb, who does De Niro play?

Checking De Caprio's imdb, he has an upcoming film about Roosevelt. Really ? After J. Edgar and The Aviator ? Also, he has Killers of the Flower Moon, Members of the Osage tribe in the United States are murdered under mysterious circumstances in the 1920s sparking a major F.B.I. investigation involving J. Edgar Hoover.

:wacko:

Both Roosevelt and Killers of the Flower Moon as Scorsese directed though. J. Edgar was intolerably dull. No one gives a shit about American political history centering on powerful individuals and their games.

That looks pretty good - a touch of John Wayne Gacy in there, methinks. The more I see of this movie, the less I'm convinced it was a terrible barrel-scraping idea. I mean, that's on the back of some pictures of Joaquin Phoenix's costume so it's still got time to be terrible. At the very least it doesn't yet look like it's courting the teen goth, Harley Quinn-loving crowd.

I’ll hold off any judgement till it’s actaully made. WB have managed to screw up pretty much everything DC they’ve made and a couple of shots from a camera test are a long way from winning any trust that they have any idea how to handle the source mayerial. 

Apart from that the red nose makes him look like a less creepy Mr Tumble.