Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Killing Of A Sacred Deer

http://deadline.com/2017/08/killing-of-a-sacred-deer-trailer-nicole-kidman-colin-farrell-1202149996/

Colin Farrell and Yorgos Lanthimos are back together having worked together on The Lobster. Joining them this time is Nicole Kidman, Barry Keoghan, Raffey Cassidy, Sunny Suljic, Bill Camp and Alicia Silverstone. Farrell is a doctor whose family falls victim to a case of supernatural revenge perpetrated by a creepy teenage boy (Keoghan), with whom he shares ties to a former patient.

• Upvote 1

Watched this the other night. For me The Lobster was film of the year in the year it came out so went into this with high expectations. Sadly they were not met. That unique 'style' is still there but there are less laughs this time. The first half feels a bit baggy, where the story only really starts to become clear halfway through the movie. Full of great memorable moments straight from the very first visual but not quite as well constructed as The Lobster. Amazing performances all around.

If you really liked The Lobster this is still entertaining, just not quite the classic you might have been hoping for.

Watched this last night. Colin Farrell is morphing into Brendan Gleeson!

Anyway, I didn't think it was very good. Don't know if I was missing something, but it felt tonally odd and there were too many loose ends.

I watched this over the weekend.   A seriously strange film all round albeit very stylistic - unlike some critics I didn't find it at all funny (and I didn't think The Lobster was a romantic comedy fwiw).  I don't know if the title implies the boy has some Native American ancestry although he's clearly uber strange.  Then there's that strange metallic grating sound which comes on when something particularly weird happens.  The ending was quite satisfying if :(.

Colour me in the minority here! :)

I watched this last night and absolutely loved it. More than The Lobster. Plenty of absurd scenes and lines, and I was laughing out loud more than once. 

All while keeping things unsettling and suspenseful. And everyone was excellent in it, especially Barry Keoghan.

• Upvote 2

I feel like Yorgos Lanthimos is really influenced by Kubrick in the way he shoots this one, lots of wide angled shots accentuating the perspective in the frame. Actors who might seem wooden in the delivery but the effect is a sort of detachment from reality highlighting the medium. I liked this but prefer The Lobster as it felt more original whereas this to me was apeing his cinematic hero Kubrick too much, and frankly no one has done Kubrick better than P.T.Anderson.

I wanted to enjoy this, but kept getting pulled out of the movie.

The child like, stream of consciousness, affected speech pattern used by Colin Farrell just made me think of Father Dougal.  I could never relax into the movie.

Oh man this is exquisite.

So weird. And initially it all seems so  hammy and badly acted until the whole milieu just draws you in. 

Not seen the lobster yet but really want to now. The only thing I've enjoyed this much in this way recently is Mother. It's what I thought hereditary would be like when I read reviews of that except hereditary turned out to be just another genre horror and not even a good one. This is something truly terrifying and totally sui generis. 

Lovely stuff.

Gonna go back and read the rest of the thread now. I assume I am out of synch with everyone else's opinions as usual though...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tourist said:

Oh man this is exquisite.

So weird. And initially it all seems so  hammy and badly acted until the whole milieu just draws you in. 

Not seen the lobster yet but really want to now. The only thing I've enjoyed this much in this way recently is Mother. It's what I thought hereditary would be like when I read reviews of that except hereditary turned out to be just another genre horror and not even a good one. This is something truly terrifying and totally sui generis. 

Lovely stuff.

Gonna go back and read the rest of the thread now. I assume I am out of synch with everyone else's opinions as usual though...

Nope, it is brilliantly weird. it ended up being much less nourishing to me than Mother did. But still surreal and original.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tourist said:

Not seen the lobster yet but really want to now.

The Lobster is amazing, enjoyed it more than this. The best thing about Sacred Deer for me was Barry Keoghan (The nutter), since seen him in American Animals and he's definitely one to keep an eye on. 

Seen this twice now and I think it's great. One of those films that as soon as it finishes I feel like I need to rewatch it again to keep getting more out of it.

On 17/10/2018 at 09:06, Stigweard said:

I hated The Lobster, is it even worth watch this if I hated that film?

If you hated the goofiness of The Lobster you may be ok with this, it's toned down much more here. I just loved the goofiness and absurdity of the Lobster.