rllmuk
Omizzay

The Sinner - Jessica Biel gets stabby

Cora Tinnetti (Jessica Biel) is a loving wife and mother who suddenly kills a male beach goer in cold blood for unknown reasons. Why did she do it? Husband Mason (Christopher Abbott) doesn't know why his wife snapped. Neither does Harry Ambrose (Bill Pullman), who can't get a straight answer. Even Cora can't explain it. A murder mystery that must be solved.

Watched Part 1 of this last night.  Jessica Biel is really excellent in this (probably the best I've ever seen her act) and I'm interested in seeing where it goes. I do think they're maybe making it a little obvious that 

she was probably set off by the music which reminded her subconsciously how her dad abused her?

Also, my only other little gripe currently is how properly weird Bill Pullman is as the lead detective with his fetish for trees and plants and abusing his fingernails.[/spoler]

Still, it looks like a decent enough opening and apparently episode 2 is out tonight.

Anyone seen this?

• Upvote 2

Yeah watched it last week and thought it seemed promising. The "answer" seems too signposted at this point plus the mate on the beach said

he (the victim) seemed to recognise her and allowed her to do it

. Certainly intrigued enough to want to see more.

27 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Is this on Netflix, Prime, Now or anything?

Just US TV at this point I think

Yeah episode 2 was good I'm starting to wonder if it's going to head toward an

MK Ultra type thing with the cultish stuff from when she was a kid being a slight red herring and more to do with how she ended up being selected for the program

Watched the two episodes today and find it really intriguing! Wish I could binge it. But now I have to be patient :(

• Upvote 1

Getting a bit of a "The Yellow Wallpaper" vibe from this, short story from 1892, a read I strongly recommend!

Yes, me and the wife still watch it as soon as it comes out.  Loving it, even though it's quite slow.  Intrigued as to how it ends.  

More people should be watching this.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, it's good. I get what you mean about it making you feel uncomfortable. Some of the scenes are a little near the knuckle.

My wife and I reckon the main bloke looks like an Aldi Kit Harrington. 

... so I'm calling him Kitbash Harrington

I hope you lot take to that joke better than my wife did. 

• Upvote 1

Finally got around to watching this and watched all eight episodes in two jet-lag fuelled sittings. Compulsive and kept me guessing. Great performance by Jessica Biel and Bill Pullman. Hard viewing at times but highly recommended.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

This is up on Netflix now

Ah, thanks for the info. :)

1 hour ago, ckny said:

Just binged this in 2 days, absolutely gripping television.

Same. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Pullman’s character was proper odd. 

I finished the first episode last night, quite liked it there certainly is enough to keep me coming back for more.

I find myself more interested in Bill Pullman's character than the girl herself.

I'll try and stick with it.

Started this last night. Think I'm getting squeamish in my old age; that scene was bloody tough going. The sounds. The speed of it. Scary. 

Agree, great acting by Biel. Love Bill Pullman too so enjoying that casting. Can't quite shake the fact it's the president of the United States getting a bit of dom play though..

Think I'm going to like how this goes obvious, not obvious, obvious etc. A good brain twister. 

On 14/09/2017 at 18:16, Treble said:

My wife and I reckon the main bloke looks like an Aldi Kit Harrington. 

... so I'm calling him Kitbash Harrington

I hope you lot take to that joke better than my wife did. 

We went with a Harrington/LaBeouf mash up. 

Finished it today. Felt all the good stuff was packed towards the end, but that did make it pretty satisfying as it ramped up, rather than wound down. 

Some pretty gnarly stuff, too, especially with the sister o_O

I was off work today. Just binged the entire season. Great stuff.

Spoiler

I thought it was building towards some kinky rich man's sex club type thing, but it swerved away from that. The stabbing at the beginning was gruesome, felt real and unshowy.

The biggest cringe for me was probably the sound of the chest cracking on the sister. Christ, that was awful. Clutching my own chest after that.

Thought this was excellent. One of the best tv shows this year. Gripping and it had an outcome I never saw coming. 

Me and my partner half started this today and we are gripped... Every time we seem to guess where it is going, it changes direction, but not in that overly cliche TV way that many shows try to do. 

We have just finished episode 5 and cannot wait to see how this finishes. 

Part of me hopes it is all a self contained single season type thing. 

4 hours ago, bradigor said:

Part of me hopes it is all a self contained single season type thing. 

It's so good. Since watching it a few weeks back I keep thinking back on it. Enjoy the rest...