rllmuk
ann coulter

Dragon Quest Builders 2 - PS4/Switch - Out Now! GOTY contender.

Completed the first island. Very very compelling, and looking forward to building out my home town (forget the name)

Am i the only one when...

Spoiler

Faced with the blueprint for the deitree on the first island almost fucked the whole thing off until you realised the townspeople helped? Jaysus 

• Upvote 1

It's a shame performance isn't better on the Switch.  I'm pretty far through the Khrumbul-dun story-line now and it's really starting to chug.

10 hours ago, spanx said:

Completed the first island. Very very compelling, and looking forward to building out my home town (forget the name)

Am i the only one when...

Reveal hidden contents

Faced with the blueprint for the deitree on the first island almost fucked the whole thing off until you realised the townspeople helped? Jaysus 

I was totally up for the challenge and then those fuckers ruined it for me.

• Upvote 2

I completed the story the other day, I really enjoyed it but could maybe see it grating for others. I only noticed the Switch starting to struggle quite late on, and it was usually down to number of characters/monsters on screen at once, though I've read that some more complex creations can hit it pretty hard too.

I'm now working my way through the Explorer's Shores to complete the checklists. A small hint for anyone else doing the same (item spoiler for Khrumbul-Dun):

Spoiler

You can use the echo flute to find stuff you've not ticked off.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

It's a shame performance isn't better on the Switch.  I'm pretty far through the Khrumbul-dun story-line now and it's really starting to chug.

Yeah it's not great, but playable so far, seems like it's pushing the Switch too hard from that DF video. Looks like they were roughly aiming for visual parity with PS4 which is crazy. I'd happily sacrifice a little resolution or even a bit of draw distance for a smoother frame rate. 

Absolute killer of battery life too, and no other game makes my switch this loud when docked. 

Still loving it though! 

• Upvote 2

The slow linearity of certain story sections is driving me insane. I also feel those blueprints are completely at odds with the creative aspect. Still, when I actually get down to making an amazing

pet hotel/mine cart ride

it’s worth it 

• Upvote 1

We've had a bit of a hard time of late so I secretly bought and downloaded DQB2 for my partner on the strength of all the talk on this thread and her experience playing the demo.

She's currently loving it. Day made.

edit: Six hour long gaming session! And she has the day off tomorrow. Favourite moment: walking in the room to see a single table block with a single bowl surrounded by four stools as lines snaked away in each direction of hungry villagers desperate to share the same bowl while she watched on.

Me: What are you doing?

Her: Right now? Eating a cabbage. In front of them. (Hero pulls out a cabbage and noms on it. I back out of the room slowly.)

Edited by Unofficial Who
  • Upvote 6

On 01/08/2019 at 08:56, SharkyOB said:

I just finished that island and didn't think the performance was too bad. However, I've now been tasked with building a template that's made up of 4736 pieces (:blink:) and as I watch my residents build it, the framerate is taaaanking.

There is free content on the PS Store Knick Knack Pack, Line Art Recipe & Luminary Recipe.

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/grid/EP0082-CUSA11161_00-DQB2STANDARDDIGI/1?relationship=add-ons

Also the season pass content has been released for Hotto Stuff, Modernist & Aquarium pack.

All of these add-ons are just content unlock, there is no download required the content is already in the game.

I've completed the second island & currently doing tasks on lulotopia.

I absolutley adore this! 

Finished the first Island and now back on my main island, I've started the foundations of something that's going to be fairly massive but I'm going to carry on with the story and pop back and add bits, I'll add some screenscots if I can figure out how to get them off my Switch 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

I absolutley adore this! 

Finished the first Island and now back on my main island, I've started the foundations of something that's going to be fairly massive but I'm going to carry on with the story and pop back and add bits, I'll add some screenscots if I can figure out how to get them off my Switch 

The easiest way I've found is to post them to a social media site and get them from there. There may be a better way, mind.

• Upvote 2

Finished Khrumbul-dun, and now I feel like the game might open up. Really looking forward to exploring and building up my home island now. 

Its surprising how compelling it is. The controls are a bit weird, the story is nonsense and the combat is tosh, but the characters are lovely and the sense of achievement and desire to furnish yourself with new tools and materials keeps the momentum up. Very much looking forward to making some kind of utopian valley hugging town now. 17 funs out of 20

• Upvote 1

On 06/08/2019 at 09:51, moosegrinder said:

The easiest way I've found is to post them to a social media site and get them from there. There may be a better way, mind.

I post them to Facebook(you can set it up so they don’t appear on your timeline) and then save them. I believe you can grab them off the SD card though? 

How happy everyone gets at the stuff you build is done brilliantly. I don't think any game can beat it for giving you a feeling of being a hero of a community. 

The linear scripting of the story really harms it at times and it punishing you for experimentation and exploration really pulls me out of the experience. I had to smash my tomato field down and replant it to get that quest to trigger it knowing I could grow tomatoes. My villagers are currently getting pumped about the rumoured existence of gold somewhere in the mines as we all stand together in our Trump-ass gold town square covered in gold braziers.

• Upvote 4

I am currently building myself a huge mountain top house overlooking the rivers and valleys of my home island. Some natty red stone stairs leading up to a beautiful glazed house. Still WIP but really enjoying this aspect a lot. This could be another one of these 100 or 200 hour games at this rate. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MattKB said:

Am also feeling a bit roughed by the linearity. I do love it but having to limit my bursts due to the constant talk, quest, talk, quest. 

You need to take regular breaks from that and spend some time on your isle of awakening completing tablet quests. I find the tablet quests urge you to get creative and build which is a nice break from the talk, quest, talk, quest routine.

• Upvote 1

It’s my brutal, cliff side retreat, overlooking all my villager peons :)

Gonna stick a swimming pool on the roof next I reckon. 

Anyone got fast excavation tips btw? I’m currently flattening a mountain and it’s taking ages

The best tip I've seen for excavation, spoiled below as I think it's only possible once the story is complete:

Spoiler

You need to get yourself a Stone Golem from the Explorer's Shores. If you ride one their punches do massive damage. I've not actually managed to get one myself yet, but have seen someone on a stream using it to great effect.

2 hours ago, Squigs said:

The best tip I've seen for excavation, spoiled below as I think it's only possible once the story is complete:

Reveal hidden contents

Oh yes! Definitely.

Spoiler